ABW Ambassador
    two out three of my sites got screwed with Google on the inbound links. it happened this time last year. I think Google is trying to manipulate holiday traffic. any thoughts?

Big Chuck

ABW Ambassador
    And they would want to do this because ?

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    well, for starters, smart ass, there has been talk of them having their own catalog, and affiliate type of revenue. Also, like you probably would nt understand this, but companies have been known in the past to make side deals with other companies in order to create a monopoly, or to corner the market. I think this all makes perfect sense. Affiliate sites stand in the way of big companies making money. why, if they can control the search results/rankings, would they not try to bend things more in their favor... theoritical as it may be, it s all very possible.

Big Chuck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> well, for starters, smart ass <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HeHe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Also, like you probably would nt understand this...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't patronise me, you'll only end up looking ridiculous. I asked a fair question.

So let me get this straight - you think because you personally have lost ranks, Google are deliberately manipulating the search results and they are doing this because they have a catalog search (which they have had for months, by the way) and want to drive traffic to their secret partners. Right ?

Well, as it's nearly christmas. Let's take the search for 'christmas gifts'. Care to point out any site in the top ten results for this search that have got there through manual manipulation of the results ?

Want to prove to me which results lower down the rankings are actually more relevant to the real Google algorithm but have had their rank artificially lowered ?

No ? Thought not.

Of the three sites where I track the inbounds, the total number of inbound links were UP 93%, 65% and 49%.

PageRank dropped slightly though, as discussed elsewhere.

For one of my more stable sites in terms of inbounds, the last updates have given: 45, 50, 55, 49, 47, 69, 54, 66, 56, 59, 55, 82. I spent some time a couple of months ago trying to improve inbounds which worked through now, but you can see that the numbers are never that constant.

Меня зовут Динаму

Google was giving rank based on the theory that if a page had a lot of links to it.. it must be good. So people start link exchanging like crazy and this theory goes down the drain. It doesn't count anymore. They are taking the quality of the links into account. Whatever happened to meta tags? They were abused and now ignored.

Seem to get a good page rank just off being listed in both Yahoo and Dmoz. But who wants to pay yahoo 300 for a listing now that google links have equal ranking on the Yahoo site?

We want high rankings cause we know how to code the page. The search engine just wants to return the best sites first. Plenty of good quality pages out there that have no idea how to rank in the search engines.

if site A is listed in dmoz and yahoo and it links to site B which dmoz and yahoo won't list, will the un-reciprocated link help site B's google ranking?

Or will it pull down site A's ranking. This I would like to know cause site A has moved up so high I don't dare do anything to mess it up! Site B may have to find another way.

Let's assume we don't care about site A's ranking in the search engines, can we predict an effect on site B?

ABW Ambassador
    It won't pull down site A's ranking. Will it help site B's ranking ?

Too many variables to predict. Obviously, if you are using site b's keywords in the link text from site a, that can help rankings and another link in won't hurt either.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread