Is there any value left in getting a listing within the Yahoo directory?

Priorityspace.com
    Affiliate Details!

I guess it adds slightly to your PageRank!

I only have one site with a Yahoo listing, and last week that listing generated just 2 hits, whereas before the change it would generate 50-100 hits per week.

I've had a lot more success with Ink than Yahoo recently. Your $299 annual Yahoo fee will buy you almost 12 Inktomi listings instead.

Меня зовут Динаму

ABW Ambassador
    If you are just a US site promoting only to the USA, then there isn't a great deal of value at the moment.

If you are a UK site, then getting into Yahoo.co.uk and therefore yahoo.com is still worthwhile. It costs $199 (one off) to get in via yahoo.co.uk and the UK index hasn't changed to Google like the US one.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Yahoo has seemed to favor non U.S websites for some time now. I don't understand why they would be so anti-american. It's a communist plot.

Priorityspace.com
    Affiliate Details!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    Yahoo has seemed to favor non U.S websites for some time now. I don't understand why they would be so anti-american. It's a communist plot.

http://www.priorityspace.com
    http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, that's funyy! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I think Yahoo listing for Yahoo.com is only good if you have listing close to top of a category page, like if you're 3 clicks away from the the main page.

Other than that, it's effect in Google PR is not worth 300 bucks.

I think it depends highly on what your site is, and what your plans are.. I just paid out to get a non-commercial site listed quickly, which even to me was rather strange.. but if I am able to use it the way I think I can, then the investment will be returned 100 fold through other means.

I do think the value of a directory listing as a source of traffic has been greatly diminished, and so in some areas it may not be worth the price - at this time anyway..

It appears we're having quite good results with a Sponsored listing in the Yahoo! directory.

I'm not sure how to track this accurately, but our data shows we increased sales by one per day once we launched in their sponsored directory. The thirty additional sales per month more than covers the $299 annual and $199 monthly fee charged to secure the listing.

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

if you do your research on the search terms you want to get listed under and get a good description and that then the value is still their.

If you get a good yahoo directory listing and optimize your sub-pages of your site in google then yahoo will list the yahoo category site and also the google sub-pages. So if you are finding it difficult to come up in Google for your index page under high competitive search terms then a Yahoo direcorty listing will go down a treat.

hope that makes sense, but do it the right way it's still well worth it.

edit; by saying that this could probably either be a downside or a upside.. if you would rather your google listing of your index page appear in yahoo's results don't pay them, but if you think you can get good traffic off a few search terms that have been described in your yahoo directory listing then yes pay them. hollla! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    yahHayH!

Personally my belief is that there is essentially no value in a Yahoo listing now.

The results are from Overture and Google, and I can't see anyone really using the directory as a means of finding quality sites.

The only real use for the Yahoo directory now is to identify domains which may have expired, but were previously developed.

-------
    KJ
    Expiredtraffic.com - The biggest and baddest affiliate program on the net. Period.
    http://www.expiredtraffic.com

Hi

I have not really pushed anything at all with Yahoo but in the past 8 days I have had 79 referrals from their search engine. I am happy with that for just now. Anyway, please find below the referrals I have had in the past 8 days

Google SE 446 referrals
    Yahoo 79
    AOL 21
    MSN 10
    Looksmart 5
    Altvista 2
    Lycos 1

Looking back at last month, I the above SE are listed in the same manner.

Anyway, the more referrals the better no matter where they come from and if they convert into money,even more better.

regards John

John Dundas
    http://gph.org.uk
    johndundas@gph.org

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread