Actually I was going to post a question about using Hx tags and stylesheets, but I found some excellent posts my NickW, and others, which answered that one.

Thanks Nick ! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

What I'm still not quite sure about is whether or not I can "get away with" setting H1 to lets say 10 px and H2 to 15 pix without being penalized by Google. Anyone know anything about this?

Also, does anybody know if I should use a bold style inside or outside the H tags,

like this: {B}{H1}some text{/H1}{/B},
    or like this: {H1}{B}some text{/B}{/H1}

And a last question: Google search results are case insensitive, but does capitalization play a role when Goggle determine the importance of a word?

-- Less is more --

I do this on one site and up to now touch wood Google has been good to me.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Also, does anybody know if I should use a bold style inside or outside the H tags <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I wouldn't think you would have to use bold at all if you're using any headline tag.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Can H2 be larger than H1 in size? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I can only be made to be "as big as" by using BIG and /BIG in the tag structure

ABW Ambassador
    It's not really a matter of getting away with anything. How you decide to format your page is down to you. If you are going to use Hx tags, make sure you use them how they are meant to be used.

As for using bold tags and other formatting things - I don't understand why you would need to if you are going to control the look of the tag via a stylesheet.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

First, thanks for replys. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm only grasping for details here. To key is what "determines the importance of a word" in google world, besides document structure, word count, etc.

As I understand it, bold (or rather STRONG) text is considered having higher importance than non-bold text? Since I'm controlling the look of the H-tags from an external stylesheet file, I was wondering if by making the text bold *also* in the html using B or STRONG, would I then boost the importance of the keywords slightly?

But maybe I'm wrong and should go to bed?

Same reason goes for the question of having the bold tags inside or outside the H-tags. Does one have a greater impact on importance over the other? Whether or not Google considers text inside H to be bold, would an extra bold tag on the inside or outside of the H-tags further boost importance? After all, H and STRONG are two different tags?

And about capitalization, is caps-on text given higher importance? It was mentioned in a post that Google has a capitalization flag:
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...4689#475604689

Yes, the look of the text is the same with or without the extra bold tags in the html. (With one exception, if FONT-WEIGHT=boldER instead of "bold" *and* the html is {H1}{B}some text{/B}{/H1}, that is bold tags *inside* H-tags rather than outside, then the text is rendered as bold, not bolder, at least on IE 5.0)

FYI, my doc structure is usually something like:

BODY
    H1
    H2
    some text
    H2
    some text
    H2

.. with yet another level of sub-titles (using STRONG-tags) in the content text, - and with js, stylesheet and footer all in external files.

-- Less is more --

[This message was edited by Cellophane on October 23, 2002 at 09:09 PM.]

bump, anyone, markymark?

-- Less is more --

ABW Ambassador
    As putting bold tags inside or even outside of H tags is incorrect html, I would suspect that you might actually lose the benefit of the H tag by doing this. I'm not sure about this, though. I've never tried it.

Is capitalisation given a boost. Not in the default search no - it treats all ways of spelling a word the same. Whether there is an advantage to having capitalisation or headings in all caps or whatever for other reasons and other search engines, this is something you will have to look at for yourself cos I ain't telling.

But I will say this - if you use WordTracker, try some of your keywords using the 'comprehensive' database option. Then take a look at how the search engines deal with the different ways of capitalising these phrases and remember some people do search in quotes. You will figure it all out from this.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread