Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    In another thread, I mentioned putting out a call for writers as a way to generate content quickly for your site. I just wanted to reinforce that with an example.

Yesterday, I went to www.freelancewriting.com , and put out a call for Computer Articles, offering to pay $20/shot on items that I accepted.

In between yesterday and today I have been abosulutely inundated with submissions from two dozen writers, all of whom have offered to provide multiple articles for me, ranging from 'How To' articles on hardware and software, to Google info, to technology/life essays.

I am going to pick out eight or so of these articles, place them on a computer related site, and submit it to dmoz.

For $160, I can create a web site almost instantly that dmoz will accept. The site will be thick with content and tech laden terminology, so it should do well in google.....

So, if you are stuck for content, consider putting out a notice at that site, there is almost certainly someone out there who has written an article about your specific interest, and if you are willing to reprint their articles, you will probably have multiple articles to choose from.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

Great time saving idea! Writing content is the hardest part.

Elance is also good for this, but I don't know what you would get for $20.

http://www.ezinearticles.com is a good place to start if your budget is non existent (you have to feature author bio/bylines).

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Webmaster Resources | Website Tools | Webmaster Software

elbowcreek,

How do you arrange payment, do you have to pay a downpayment? And how do you pay them, via Paypal or there any other options?

And how many other sites out there might contain this same origonal content. There is the potential here for SE backlash if the origonal content appears on too many sites. The idea is a good one if you are able to take that content and costomize(sic) it for your own specific objectives.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I offered payment via paypal or snail mail, I specified the article would reside on my site for one year, after that it would remain until they asked for it to be removed. I also stated that the article, if a reprint from elsewhere, must include where else it has been printed, so I can acknowledge it, and the author must verify that he/she has the right to reprint it. For stories on Elbow Creek, I asked for an exclusive, 90 day agreement, meaning it cannot appear elsewhere for 90 days, after that, it would remain on my site for the remainder of the year, etc.

As far as computer articles, I have been absolutely inundated with writers and articles from that one free ad.

I have a payment to make right now for articles printed a little earlier at my fiction site. I am going to try to prepay the computer articles, though most writers will accept it if you offer, 'payment within 30 days of publication, or 60 days, etc.'

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There is the potential here for SE backlash if the origonal content appears on too many sites.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If youre really worried about this but still want content, it would probably be a good idea to pay for total exclusive content/writing rights. I would think it would cost a bit more but if youre desperate for original content to get into dmoz or whatever it could be worth it.

However, I use articles that appear on other sites and I've not been penalised "yet". If the content is very specific to your website then you should be ok.

------------------------
    Web Hosting Solutions

Be very careful. It is likely that you get plagarized essays mixed in with some of those submissions... I suggest, before you pay anybody that you do a few searches in google to make sure the authors have not stolen the content from somebody else.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread