If you made 20 sales with a company and 10 of them were charged back (mostly invalid credit card), would you keep promoting that company?

Compare prices and features of over 100 different web hosting plans. http://www.IceIsHot.com

ABW Ambassador
    Can you really blame the merchant for invalid credit card transactions? 10 chargebacks out of 20 does seem very high though. Is that just a number from you or is that how many you have had with a specific merchant?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

No, your right, you can't blame the merchant for invalid credit card, and yes, I used actual numbers.

Out of the all the affiliate programs I belong to, I only seem to ever get charge backs from just this one. I got companies I've made twice as many sales with, with no chargebacks at all. Seems kind of fishy that's all.

Compare prices and features of over 100 different web hosting plans. http://www.IceIsHot.com

It may be the product - some products have a very, very high return rate. It's unfortunate CJ no longer supplies the percentile info of returns for merchants if they did you would see a lot of consistency in the higher percent returns for certain product types. Jewelery, clothing have always been on the high end for me. Things like candy and video games seem to be high "invalid credit card" especially on the weekend sales when the kiddies are home and on the computer.

Abigail

Do you think the company just throws up their hands and says "oh well!" Of course not. I'll bet in every case, they called the customer, got a valid CC, and the sale went through... for them. But you didn't see the commission.

Just like I'll bet customers return things all the time for exchange and it is charged back becasue it was "a return"

Abigail said...
    quote:
    It may be the product

I know what your saying but I only do one product. So that's not it.

I suggest contacting the advertiser to see what occurred. Communication can often clear up a lot of concerns.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    I suggest contacting the advertiser to see what occurred. Communication can often clear up a lot of concerns.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

That's a good idea. Once I had all my commissions from a cell phone merchants reversed. I contacted them asking how could every comission be reversed. They replied saying it was a "glitch", and paid up.

Todd Crawford said...
    quote:

Been there... but I actually wasn't asking for speculation. All I wanted to know was if the affiliates here would drop a merchant with a 50% charge back rate.

What about 100% charge back? Surely the affiliates here would drop a merchant like that in a heart beat.

Could also be that the merchant does not validate credit cards real-time. Those that validate off-line have much higher rates of invalid cards.

Merchants that validate real-time typically don't register a sale until after a real-time credit card authorization from the bank has taken place. Result - much fewer invalid credit cards.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com
    It's not just underwear, it's fun to wear!

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    All I wanted to know was if the affiliates here would drop a merchant with a 50% charge back rate.

What about 100% charge back?

50%: Bye, unless it's some weenie 50c/lead place. Although with a 50c/lead merchant, I would be wondering what I picked that one for in the *first* place!

100%: BYE BYE, for sure! There's no point in promoting a place that doesn't pay!

If you've got competitors to the 50% reverser on your site, that are doing well and don't reverse, there's not much point in keeping the reversal-maniac around IMO.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Netsu wrote:

I contacted them asking how could every comission be reversed. They replied saying it was a "glitch", and paid up.

That's the way you do it. If you really need the merchant, contact them.

I've contacted merchants about reversals and magically had very few reversals afterwards. One merchant I contacted several months ago about invalid credit card reversals ...and have had only one reversal since then.

Some merchants size you up. Don't bend over. I get less than 10% reversals across the board, and that says alot, because I sell things like shoes and clothing.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread