ABW Ambassador
    if your files are names best_widget1.html or 1324.html

If the content is optimised, how much of a difference does it make [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Well, Google claims to use over 100 different factors in it's algorithm and file names are one of them.

best-widget1.html isn't going to help much though best-widget-1.html might.

I can't tell how much of a boost this is - it isn't very important, but it is part of the algo and as it is just as easy to call your page best-widget-1.html as it is to call it 1234.html, then it is worth doing. Personally, I try to keep page and image file names to keyword1-keyword2.html as it increases readability without being too spammy.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    Now I know why so many pages are titled keyword and not widget [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (just gotta fix my terminology here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img])

Sooo, if I don’t use the file name tactic, once I have figured them out, I can use the other 99 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I think the only thing left to do is to experiment, check, and then experiment more.

Thanks Marky

ABW Ambassador
    As far as I'm aware, according to an article I read follwing a link from a post here on ABW, Google doesn't take keywords in the file name into account - only those in the domain name.

I'd look for the post, but I'm too lazy.

-----------
    JoKeThInG
    -----------

ABW Ambassador
    I should add tho that, as far as I'm aware, Google does take notice of the text in the visible part of the HTML link code.

-----------
    JoKeThInG
    -----------

Ah a subject that I like.

Ok folks, over the past few months I have been playing around with certain words in parts of the site.

1. Keywords dont get used as far as I can see. I have had pages with no keywords and they still come up in the searches.

2. The main thing that I have changed is the meta description. This is where I have had the best results so far.

3. I also repeat some of the words in the page title as well so that it can provide at least two search points.

4. As for using _ or -. I have pages which are called may_2003.htm and when you do a Google search for "Whats on In Glasgow May 2003" I get some of the top listings. I try to keep my file names short and sweet, after all the person searching does not really see the file name.

Anyway, I know use Matrixstats which my host supplys and they are very good, especially with the showing the pharses that people are searching for.

So to sum it all up.

1. Make sure you have a good meta description.
    2. Make sure you have a good Title
    3. Make sure that you mention some really good key
    words in the text of your pages.

Well thats about it I think, anyway the above is from my own experience. Apart from Google causing me a few problems each time it updates, I have some of the best listings for what I am trying to get across to people.

regards John

John Dundas
    http://gph.org.uk
    johndundas@gph.org

ABW Ambassador
    The issue I have is with widgets you see [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Widget 1 1/10ths
    Widget 1 2/10ths
    Widget 1 3/10ths
    Widget 1 4/10ths
    Widget 1 5/10ths
    Widget 1 6/10ths
    Widget 1 7/10ths
    Widget 1 8/10ths
    Widget 1 9/10ths
    Etc…

So my file names get kind hard to think through when you get to 1/100ths, and when you get to 1/1000ths, well. There is a registration system based on original part numbers, and I am thinking of using this number instead of thinking up original names just for ranking purposes, cos what do you do with all those /s. If its not mission critical then I can spread the search engine jam on all the other corners and leave the gap on the file name and ease my organizational problems.

File name: DGT0002569874.html
    Page title: Widget 1 2/10ths
    Description: Widget 1 2/10ths
    Title: Widget 1 2/10ths
    Picture of widget 1 2/10ths with label: Widget 1 2/10ths
    Text: Widget 1 2/10ths Blah Blah Widget 1 2/10ths Blah. Anyway, that’s all I have to say about Widget 1 2/10ths. So from Widget 1 2/10ths, have a great Widget 1 2/10ths day.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Page title: Widget 1 2/10ths
    Description: Widget 1 2/10ths
    Title: Widget 1 2/10ths
    Picture of widget 1 2/10ths with label: Widget 1 2/10ths
    Text: Widget 1 2/10ths Blah Blah Widget 1 2/10ths Blah. Anyway, that’s all I have to say about Widget 1 2/10ths. So from Widget 1 2/10ths, have a great Widget 1 2/10ths day. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see you've got SEO sewn up, Wayder [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    I hope you meant that. If you did, all I did was read abestweb and follow the recepe.

Take one product. Mix lightly with wordtracker until you can decide on a good keywords set. Then present the keywords set in the most benificial way for the SE to read.

Stir and wait.

Also just to say [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] 01:00, WOW are you dedicated. And before you pass it back at me, my Daughter is ill so I HAVE to stay up.

Wayder,

Sounds like "G17" to me ... Bingo!

Good Work!

Hope your daughter is feeling better.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread