ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Take a look at the bottom of this site:

http://www.deboat.com/

The text at the bottom, if you highlight, is white type, on a faded cream background. So, essentially, the type is not readable.

It is an obvious attempt to hide text for the search engines. However, since the type isn't the same color as the background, is it actionable by the search engine police?

I would say it's a trick to enhance keyword density.

If a human editor were to view the page, I'm sure they'd probably get banned for this tactic. If the text were in black and easily readable, it might be a different story.

I came across a series of sites earlier this week that had multiple domain names, and each took you to the same basic page, only with slight title and keyword variations. Yet they had the number one through five spots on Google for that keyword. The pages had a very strange color combination, so I'm certain they are all the same owner.

After looking at the pages, it's obvious the owner has linked a lot of similar pages together, using similar but different keywords, and by doing so has created their own little Google empire. All of the pages linked to a merchant through a redirect.

I know others here will disagree, but I still believe a site will need to have substantial content to survive. The sites designed exclusively to sell are going to find it more difficult to compete as the SEs try to provide more relevant results.

I do think pages will have to be published with the specific purpose of selling things, but they will need to be anchored by a content site to get good rankings. (Not trying to start a flame war here, just my opinion.)

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    Haven't looked at the site, AffiliateMakeover, but I guess they think that by having the font colour and background colour slightly different, they are going to get passed an automated filter.

Trouble is, most spam gets removed via people reporting it here:
    http://www.google.com/contact/spamreport.html

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

I had the same thought Mark. I've also seen this done on other websites. And yes, I have used that reporting link.

The site I did report (not the site I showed you) is still running strong, and that was over 3 months ago. So I can either assume that A. they don't consider it a tactic, or B. they just don't have time to deal with it.

No big deal, was just curious.

Google works slowly on those reports. I had a problem at the beginning of the year. One of my screensaver websites got hijacked somehow - everything Google showed was from my main page except the URL was pointing elsewhere. It took Google staff almost 3 months, but they rectified the situation....
    With this, it may take longer (if they have the time for these minor issues at all).

Gabe
    www.1lovecards.com

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, I've looked at the site now. That's really poorly done. The text is the type of stuff more commonly seen on a cloaked page. Out of interest, what does this page rank for.

look's to rank 2nd page for boat hauling.. but i would say mainly dmoz is getting it on the 2nd page for that term..... didn't check others.. but yeah report it and hope for the best..... lkeast it isnt on the 1st page for that term anyway,,,

yahHayH!

It is pulling a few first place rankings for highly competitive words in this niche.

"I work really hard on my hair, and then you hit it."

well.. i have had a look on google and really cant find them too much except for under houseboat transport(1st page), boat hauling(2nd page), don't really see much else on google where there ranking highly unless i;m missing something or your also talking about another se?

Those search term's aren't all that competitive and the dmoz listing where they have the word 'boat hauling' as the first part of their description will find them ranking pretty highly under that term.. because it's not all that competitive and you may find that the dmoz listing may out-weigh the spammy unviewable text to the visitor.

see what happens after a few updates if they might slip back a bit in the results.. i found thats what happened when i reported something similar a few updates back for a site they were on the 1st page then they slipped back to the 2nd page now there back to the 3rd.. so they do get them gradually..
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

yahHayH!

Personally it justs looks like bad site design to me. Practically every "personal" website I've seen looks exactly like that and for some ungodly reason people don't realize that nobody can read any of it.

ABW Ambassador
    Tweaker,

While there is a lot of truth in that. This is different. The almost-hidden text is nonsense. It is exactly the kind of thing you would see on a cloaked page (well, if you could see a cloaked page).

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just read through what that paragraph says and boy is it funny. It looks like madlibs filled in with keywords [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread