I am determined to get a handle on these things.

I bid on several keywords a few days ago for one site. So far so good. Then today I am doing a little surfing and see my ad listed all over the place under keywords I have not bid on at all and that aren't listed in my reports.

These things are just weird.

---Hershey

"Play like you have never lost. Love like you have never been hurt. Dance like no one is watching."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>General, or broad, keywords will generate many impressions with few results. For help refining your keywords, try our Keyword Suggestion Tool.

Example:

If you sell tennis equipment, you would not want to choose the general keyword "tennis," as it would trigger your ad for people searching for all subjects related to tennis, such as tennis lessons. Instead, you would want to select phrases that are more likely to reach users searching for your specific products - your potential customers. Specific keyword phrases would be:

tennis rackets
    tennis shoes <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This should help explain it. You will be charged for any of those clicks on "related keywords"

Actually, the site is showing up under very specific keywords, ones that it would have taken me hours to input by hand. Traffic is up and so is the conversion rate. It's just really odd.

---Hershey

"Play like you have never lost. Love like you have never been hurt. Dance like no one is watching."

Hershey, can you give any specifics substituting the term "widget" instead of your actual keyword without compromising your actual search terms?

Okay, I bid on "widget," but the site is coming up under nearly anything that qualifies it, like "red widget" and "blue widget." My counter is significantly increasing but I can't see that Google is recording these clicks. There is nothing about them in my reports. It's kind of like magic.

---Hershey

Yes, "magic". How stupid of me. I should have known.

Hershey,

You've got to put brackets around a keyword if you want to Google to post your ad for that word alone. For example; [widgets] will only give you results when someone types in the word widgets and no more or no less. If you don't put brackets around the keyword you get every search that includes that keyword and this seems to be what you're experiencing.

Google Ad Words is the least friendly of the PPC SE's I use. It is EXTREMELY difficult to manage a large number of keywords through it. If they didn't generate such great results I would have dumped them long ago from sheer frustration. IMHO I find dealing with Overture more appealing.

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

Thanks, Urban. I liked the magic theory, but you are probably right. I am not sure I ever read anything about brackets; I ought to re-read the Google instructions. And yes, they are hard to manage, but they do seem to work

---Hershey

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread