ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    In another post, I posted this:

"This company has a bunch of websites, all related to the same industry, and all linked together. They do very, very well with PR and first place rankings.

See drop-down at bottom of page (all sites in network):
    http://www.favorsdirect.com/links/index.shtml

Which leads me to ask: What is "excessive" linking? Obviously, this isn't it?"

---------

So let's take another scenario. Say you're Coca-Cola (or any large conglomerate with lots of subsidaries). So you are the marketing person at coke.com, and you cross link every single website you have in your network, to one another. Why? Because this is your business, and you want to promote your other divisions.

Is wanting to promote your businesses excessive linking? Can a search engine person really make that determination? If a large site with many divisions linked together doesn't get punished, then why should anyone else? Coke may not be intentionally trying to influence PR, but they sure as heck are getting that benefit.

Punishment by Google would only be a judgement call?

The decision to decide who is punishable is what I'm asking about. Are the small guys being discriminated against because they don't have the clout of a large company?

[edited to say that of course i'm not talking about link farms, but regular affiliate webmasters that have several sites all related to each other]

"I want to make you more money with a professional and low cost web design. Let's chat."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AffiliateMakeover.com:
    Which leads me to ask: What is "excessive" linking? Obviously, this isn't it?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Noone knows for sure of course, but in general 10-12 crosslinks are okay/max, 30 are not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    So you are the marketing person at coke.com, and you cross link every single website you have in your network, to one another. Why? Because this is your business, and you want to promote your other divisions. Is wanting to promote your businesses excessive linking? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it is. In Google-world the user is king. Users wants objective, relevant content. Advertising as in promoting your business in Google (except adwords) is not something Google wants, not at the top of their index. That is what sponsored listings are for.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    If a large site with many divisions linked together doesn't get punished, then why should anyone else? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off, heavy crosslinking between domains residing on the same ip c-class or ip-address is a no-no.

Second, there's a difference between being penalized and Google simply dropping a set of suspicious links, ie "no ranking points recorded".

Third, when discussing Google people too often see things in black and white. As in either something is or it isn't. Google's filters are smarter than that. This is speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if Google treats crosslinking between domains with many pages and/or a decent amount of additional oneway inbound links, differently from crosslinking between one-page domains, ie the threshold is lower for the latter.

This (guessed) scenario is similar to threshold filtering based on ip-addresses or high keyword density. Keyword density can only be X percent, any additional density wont improve ranking.

One thing Google keeps an eye out for is "closed networks", domains that only link between themselves without any oneway outbound links to "external" domains. People way too often create their linking model as a hub-model, with their dmoz site as the hub. Instead they should try a flow-model, something like:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    -&gt; adsite1 -&gt; adsite4 -&gt; adsite7 -&gt;
    world -&gt; Dmoz site -&gt; adsite2 -&gt; adsite5 -&gt; adsite8 -&gt; world
    -&gt; adsite3 -&gt; adsite6 -&gt; adsite9 -&gt;
    </pre>

Thus letting the pagerank flow through a network of controlled domains, to be spit out on the other side into the big web world again. The only pagerank that is lost is in the last jump. In this model I'm also using "boosters", which are external inbound links to domains in the middle of the flow chain. To early to conclude on the results though, currently I have not enough domains in the chain.

added: some details

-- Less is more --

[This message was edited by Cellophane on November 21, 2002 at 03:46 PM.]

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread