I use Google Adwords Select (GAS) and also have regular free Google listings for several keywords. I've noticed something interesting recently...

It seems that my free listing for keyword 'A' ranks higher than my free listing for a similar keyword 'B' if keyword 'A' is used in my GAS account.

I know there are numerous factors that affect a Google ranking, and I'm no SEO expert -- it could just be coincidence. However, based on my knowledge of the factors that do come into play, it seems that keyword 'B' should have just as high or higher a ranking as keyword 'A'.

While this scenario doesn't hold true with all or even the majority of my keywords, it has been the case with enough of my keywords to get my attention. I would need to do some testing to see if the theory has any merit. To get a really good read, it would be interesting to see what would happen if I dropped a keyword from GAS... would that affect my free ranking for that keyword?

Problem is, to do this test I'll lose a couple of days of GAS clicks while I wait for Google to update my site. And I really don't want to lose those clicks at this time.

Is it possible that Google is quietly washing our hands if we wash their backs? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I'd bet my bottom dollar (which isn't too too far down in the pile [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]) that your google rankings willl not be affected in any way or manner by use or non-use of Adwords.

Why bid on terms that you already rank well for?

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

ABW Ambassador
    Then don't waste your money. Adwords has no effect on the algo whatsoever.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Noway their PPC will affect Google SERPS ...

But there is a theory floating around that Google is trying to rank high PR , non commercial .edu type pure infromation sites for money kw's just for the purpose of increasing adword clickthrough's .

But as i said its just a theory [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

$> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Thanks everyone. I didn't think Google would do this - doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. My experience must just be a weird coincidence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rsgopi:

But there is a theory floating around that Google is trying to rank high PR , non commercial .edu type pure infromation sites for money kw's just for the purpose of increasing adword clickthrough's .

But as i said its just a theory [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Google ranks edu sites sligthly higher, but not because of adwords. It's because Google wants to provide surfers with quality content, and Google knows most edu sites are about information and are not filled with spam.

To bad we can't buy edu-domains - unless we start our own affiliate school. Anybody ? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-- Less is more --

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Google ranks edu sites sligthly higher, but not because of adwords. It's because Google wants to provide surfers with quality content, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, bleh, so those .edu sites are coming up higher on PURPOSE?!

Their definition of "quality content" must vary a lot from mine! Dot-edus may provide more accurate content, but personally I find a lot of those sites to be densely written and try to look for other sources of information that are not only accurate, but easier to digest.

As for opening a school, I've thought of that too, but there is that darned "accreditation" requirment. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Oh, bleh, so those .edu sites are coming up higher on PURPOSE?! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and I think the same goes for gov sites too. There are many such off-page factors Google, either manually or as a part of themes in the algo, has upgraded or downgraded the weight of, not just edu, dmoz or yahoo. Speaking of dmoz, even some dmoz categories seems to be downgraded.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As for opening a school, I've thought of that too, but there is that darned "accreditation" requirment. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know, why can't they just TRUST us ?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-- Less is more --

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread