ABW Ambassador
    Dance has started, good luck everybody.
    Looks good so far, lots of new pages in.
    Sales are everywhere, sales are mine.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1™ on November 28, 2002 at 12:41 AM.]

YAY! I hope it keeps going! So far so good, moving on up!

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

Looks Good Again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Argh rank #1 to #37 is a downer.

Must work on getting better PageRank!

I've noticed a BIG reduction in the number of inbounds, but then the last update had a HUGE increase.

Меня зовут Динаму

Looks like more of the same again for me.. I wish they'd hurry up and change the algo so that all my sites were ranked at number #1 for their respective keywords. I think it's only fair as I'm sure I ranked their site as my number #1 search engine choice on some site somewhere..

Agreed, looks like more of the same.
    I build a few new sites based on analysis of the new algo and they have done well. The old sites are still waiting for TK's algo change.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Slowly inching up here too.

Kind of strange though. I show the same rankings on all three googles. I checked it at 3:30am and now at 9:23 am amd all three match still on all my keywords. Though I have inched up a bit all the way across the board.

Is she really dancing, or is she just warming up?

~Michelle

This is getting to be too much! The September update put a dead link at number 9 for the main keywords I’m targeting. All through October, every time I checked Google I saw that damn listing and it remained completely dead! It disappeared in the October update, but now it’s showing up at number 10 in www2 and www3, and guess what! Still dead. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] I tried to register the domain, but it’s been on hold most of this month. I just don’t see how the Google algo can place a dead link so high in the index twice. Keep in mind that this site has not been developed at all since at least the end of September, so how could the “Google Bot Who Stole Christmas” come up with any keywords from the site? I know it’s still early in the dance, but if keeps up I’ll be cursing Google into the new year.

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

I made changes to my site about 2 weeks ago including the Title and other changes, but, Google hasn't even 'sniffed' at my site. My old site title is still coming up (at dissapointing ranks). Another bad thing with my old listing is, when you type in - malls 'and' outlets - my site is ranked on the 8th page and the search tells me it is not necessary to use the word 'and', when I type in just - malls outlets - I am not listed period, what's up with this crap. And can someone tell me when Google starts the 'Dance', how long does it generally take for the crawl through? And, to answer the ? about using adwords, I use them and have lousy rankings in the regular listings so, I doubt they even look at your adword usage. I have been really frustrated with this whole thing, trying and trying, month after month and Zilch, Nada, Nothing! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Michael

ABW Ambassador
    I would focus on different keywords, not mall and outlets. Too much competition and some of those on top, i don't see budging.

ABW Ambassador
    Mall Plaza when I go to your site I see a PR 0.
    That could be one of your problems.
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, you need better meta tags, title and description needs some work. You have a PR0, not good. Looks like you have 0 backward links. You need some links pointing to your site.

Cazzie,

Please explain this PR0 to me. And, I am using around 100 keywords, when I search these I am listed nowhere, only when I type in my site name. What do I need to do, does it have something to do with my site builder? Or is it me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    You should focus on 1 or 2 keywords per page. Your title and description tags don't do this. I would suggest using wordtracker at http://www.wordtracker.com You also need to go out and find some other sites willing to do a link exchange with you. This will help get your PageRank up, although i don't know why you have a 0. Most new sites will get at least a PR4 to start with.

ABW Ambassador
    and forget spending too much time on meta keywords and description. Google does not use them to rank your site.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Trustno1 and Cazzie,

Thanks guys for the info. My site builder I think is the problem, being, I cannot add keywords nor description of my site (pages) for the fact that they only supply me with all this stuff to add 'only' to the home page. When I type in the title and description of my site, I am only allowed to use so many characters. The sitebuilder I am using is eComPlanet, it was a free service at first, but then I upgraded to get more benefits and a domain name (cheap). So, there is only so much I can do on adding more characters. When I do a test on my meta tags I get back a positve response (other than the title, asking me to use more than 100 characters, my site builder only lets me use around 50). I am listed on some pages but not many. Should I change Web Hosts? I do have another site (with ZDnet - Trellix) and was thinking of uploading my main site over to this one and have it ready for next crawl through.

Much Thanks,
    Michael

PerfectG,

Yeah, I noticed this with my old listing on search engines, they seem to only use text from the home page and other pages. I have always had meta tags and other items since all crawl throughs and it seems to not help at all. This is when I added the description (of sorts) to my home page. Thanks for all the feedback guys and I noticed I was promoted with another little red circle - Yipee! 2 Questions how do I turn back on my 'view source', when I click on my mouse I get the menu but when I want to view source I get nothing. 2nd question is; how long does it take for Google Dance, generally, if you know. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Michael

[This message was edited by Mall Plaza Shops.com on November 28, 2002 at 12:08 PM.]

Andy Wiliams said:

"and forget spending too much time on meta keywords and description. Google does not use them to rank your site."

Sorry but I dont really agree with that statement Andy, you might have the best keywords in the industry but I would say that the meta description is very important within Google as I have been playing around with this subject (as others might know) for a long time now and have managed to do a lot by just moving words around.

I would say that its not just a case of inbound links too Goolge you have to have a lot of things going to make your site good.

regards John

John Dundas
    http://gph.org.uk
    johndundas@gph.org

ABW Ambassador
    I agree that there's more to Google than links but as far as I can tell the meta description is not used to determine ranking in Google. I have noticed meta descriptions appearing occasionally in the listings, but that is in exceptional circumstances.

Meta keywords and descriptions are pretty much ignored by Google. Representatives from the Big G have said this several times at Search Engine conferences. It is instructive, I think, that on Google's own site (in the webmasters section), they say to ensure that your title and alt tags are descriptive and accurate, but make no mention at all of meta tags.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

So, maybe I am jumping the gun abit. Google might not be done 'adancin' yet. I figure if my old version of my site is listed, why shouldn't my updated version. The last time Google went through my site was when I had not one bit of text added to my homepage. I now have some text added to the hompage (basically describing the site, just like I have in my description tags). I will keep checking here and there and hope for the best. However, if all else fails, I will change Hosts.

Thanks all for the feedback,

Michael [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

NewcastleB: is the dead link you're seeing an Open Directory (ODP) listing (i.e. does it have a "category" listing underneath?) Google will put ODP/Google direcgtory results in the search results even if the site is dead.

Меня зовут Динаму

I went back and double checked and no it’s not in the Open Directory. I did a check at Archive.org and the most recent entry was Jan 2002. The first time this dead link showed up on the first page of results I thought it might have been recently abandoned, but again? Typing the full URL into Google brings up the no information screen in www, but in www2 and www3, I get the normal screen without a title, description, or cache. On a related note: does anyone know how long a domain name stays “on hold” before being deactivated?

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NewcastleB:
    Typing the full URL into Google brings up the no information screen in www, but in www2 and www3, I get the normal screen without a title, description, or cache.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might be other reasons for this, a temporarily moved or many incoming links. Hard to say without the site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>On a related note: does anyone know how long a domain name stays “on hold” before being deactivated?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

30-90 days, usually 90 days past the expires at date. You will notice a few days in advance that it's about to be dropped.

-- Less is more --

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread