Hi, I was wondering if anybody could tell me if this site is messing with google rankings? It's "http://www.asianideas.com/" and is #1 for "asian gifts," but looking at the page, how could this site possibly be ranked first? This is what's in the source code:

<script language="javascript" src="http://redirect1.vip.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/referadd?et=3de8be81&r=http://www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3Dasian%2Bgifts%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch&catalog=asianideas"></script,

Can anybody tell me what "google" part is doing in the source code that is increasing it's rankings? If they are doing something, is this reportable to Google and will they do anything?

Thanks,
    Fman

ABW Ambassador
    That javascript is nothing to do with their rankings and isn't anything tricky. It is just a script that records the referral string from wherever the visitor came from. I guess they are using it to track which search phrases are high converting.

If you do a search for asian ideas, you will see the same .js with asian ideas in the referral string.

There is nothing dodgy going on with that site - they are #1 for asian gifts because the home page doesn't have much text, because asian gifts is in the title tag and in the body text, because many of their inbound links have the word asian in them and so on.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    visit the site via type-in and you shouldn't see that..

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks guys!

BTW, do you know how long it takes Google to start counting internal site links as links to your own home page? Some sites get credit for their own links to their home page, and some don't. I'm guessing it's a time thing, where the site have to have been cataloged in Google for X amount of time, before it starts counting the links. With my site, after a year and a half, Google started to count the links in the root directory and one index page in the folders once removed from the root folder. Then I lost those links. I'm guessing that Google has recalculated their ranking criteria and has extended the time period, when they will start counting those links--so maybe now it's two years. Does anybody know anything about this or how long it takes before Google starts counting internal site links?

Thanks,
    Fman

ABW Ambassador
    Internal links are always counted whether they appear in your backlinks or not. They will appear in your backlinks if the pages have a PR4 or above.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, its nothing to do with time really, just PR... (Of course remembering that a link: search will NOT show ALL PR4 backlinks)

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread