Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I wonder what all the fuss is. Why is everyone “up in arms” about Commission Junction already? Why are affiliates threatening to leave? Why are they complaining about changes that have not occurred?

Nothing has changed yet. The merger has not been approved. The deal has not been finalized. There is no certainty that this will happen.

On top of that, there have not been any published decisions regarding the future impact on affiliate programs. No decisions have been made, no changes have been proposed.

Essentially we don’t know what’s going to happen. We don’t even know if the merger will go through. If the merger does go through, we still don’t know what will change. We do not know how things will be restructured. Speculation at this time is a pointless waste of time. For all we know, nothing will ever change!

When the deal is completed and changes are published, then it may be time to groan and complain. Until then, we should just continue with business.

[This message was edited by SandraR on October 13, 2003 at 11:48 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by SandraR:
    When the deal is completed and changes are published, then it may be time to groan and complain. Until then, we should just continue with business.

Back to work? Are you kidding?!

There will be more groaning and complaining when you realize after the merger that your efforts between now and the merger are going to waste.

ABW Ambassador
    I speculate everyday and find it's a necessary part of every business.

===================================
    Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

ABW Ambassador
    I make my business decisions when the speculation is in my favor.

ValueClick has already indicated some changes, so it is more likely that your effort will go to waste. Making CJ and BF links at this time, speculatively, is not in our favor.

There are many things you can do other than making CJ and BF links. You can do in-house and LS links, for example.

Granted we don't know what surprise will come from LS tomorrow, but we do know that at CJ and BF there's going to be changes, though I hope not.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    The merger has not been approved.

In what way? The CNET news story said a definitive agreement had been signed, and that both companies' boards had approved it.

Regulators are highly unlikely to interfere except in the very remote chance they can be convinced that the other networks aren't enough competition...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    Back to work?

Let the following website educate you on how to make up to $300 per day with affiliate programs, and "you don't need a web site or any web experience" !!!

http://www.homebased-business-opportunity.com/

Oh no, linda's going to get 10 more applications tomorrow

A curiosity

Do most of you that just posted utilize a database? Probably not.

I can make as much as I can while I can. Then have all the links changed or converted in 1 day.

The work is never for nothing, its to get what you can while you can.

Kelly626 said...
    quote:

Let the following website educate you on how to make up to $300 per day with affiliate programs, and "you don't need a web site or any web experience" !!!

http://www.homebased-business-opportunity.com/

Hey... Where's the affiliate program for that?

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I agree with Sandra. We don't have a crystal ball and can't really control what will happen with CJ. So go to work and make all the money you can right now.

For whatever reason Irvs sales started a little on the slow side this month but suddenly yesterday and today, it's like someone unplugged the dam and sales are coming through like crazy.

A brand new affiliate that just started with Irvs last month already earned a bonus this month and he's a very happy camper. He's not letting this thing or anything else slow him down.

Get while the getting is good! Plus who says the change has to be bad. I still wear rose-colored glasses and hold on the hope that they will take the best features of each network and combine them. Things could actually get better.

One thing I do know for certain is - the people that know how to stay positive and focused and keep working, will fare much better financially than the doomsdayers and naysayers that stay on the board speculating.

Nothing will change drastically until after the holidays so like Sandra said,
    let's get back to work and make some money.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    4LowRates ::ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds :: Roadloans :: More Soon!

quote:
    Originally posted by SandraR:
    I wonder what all the fuss is. Why is everyone “up in arms” about Commission Junction already? Why are affiliates threatening to leave? Why are they complaining about changes that have not occurred?

There does seem to be a lot of fear about the merger. Having done a lot of merger and acquisition work before starting my own company, I can tell you that rule number 1 of mergers and acquisitions is to make changes as minimally disruptive as possible.

That means making changes off-season and minimizing the impact to the customer (in this case, merchants and affiliates). CJ and Befree make money on each sale that is generated. They have millions of links in place spread all across the internet. Do you really think it would be in their best interest to make a change to invalidate all those links? It's doubtful VC they would risk loosing all that revenue.

If they do make changes to the tracking links, most likely, they would grandfather the old links, much like Overture has done with the old bids.

I have my concerns too in terms of how will they alter the merchant agreement. Will they take a bigger cut? Add a new monthly fee? Mess with my established affiliate base?

I'm not running to another network (yet). Our affiliates have worked hard to place lots of links all over the net. I'm not ready to invalidate all their links and risk losing lots of sales over speculation that something might happen.

Everybody is free to do what they want. My choice is to not worry too much about something that is unlikely to happen.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com
    It's not just underwear, it's fun to wear!

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, back to work, whatever is going to happen is going to happen and just roll with it. Worse thing that might happen is changing of the links then back to business as usual. Scott you have a nice selection of lounge gear and i'm looking for a sponsor

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scott Marino:
    Everybody is free to do what they want. My choice is to not worry too much about something that is unlikely to happen.

What is more unlikely to happen right now (or in the near future) are changes in the links of other networks and in-house programs.

So I'm off to making a lot more LS, Performics and SAS links until this merger clears up.

I'm not leaving CJ (my top performing network) either. I'm leaving my current links as they are, but will stop making new ones as CJ links are more likely to be changed soon compared to other network links.

[This message was edited by waytogo on October 14, 2003 at 02:29 PM.]

How soon before Microsoft, Overture, Google, Yahoo or some other big player decides it's time to get into affiliate marketing? LS, Performics and SAS would be prime acquisition targets.

What happens if LS, Performics and/or SAS decide to merge to compete with the new VC company?

Are you really any safer with the other networks?

Trust - it's a great time of year to promote novelty underwear. It is a popular holiday gift option and our season runs through Valentine's day. Our boxers and lounge pants are also considered "proper attire" by many self-employed affiliate marketers

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com
    It's not just underwear, it's fun to wear!

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    How soon before Microsoft, Overture, Google, Yahoo or some other big player decides it's time to get into affiliate marketing? LS, Performics and SAS would be prime acquisition targets.

What happens if LS, Performics and/or SAS decide to merge to compete with the new VC company?

Are you really any safer with the other networks?
    ValueClick has already announced the acquisition and the eventual merging of CJ into BeFree.

The rest that you mentioned haven't announced anything yet.

In terms of "more likely", the first one is way past more likely to happen.

As for the second one, I'll follow you on that one - not worry too much about something that is unlikely to happen.

This is a sad week for me actually. As I said before, CJ is my best performing network.

SAS will never merge, they might be bought out though.

I like the comment about "other" links changing sounds like a good idea.

Smart affiliates will make decisions based on business and not emotion.

Fred

You might just be a Spammer if - Your welcome mat says, "You'd better have a search warrant."

ABW Ambassador
    quote:

I will react once a merger is announced, just as I am reacting now to ValueClick's announcement.

Just Lurking
    quote:
    Originally posted by Catalyst:
    A brand new affiliate that just started with Irvs last month already earned a bonus this month and he's a very happy camper. He's not letting this thing or anything else slow him down.

I think I'll follow that example. I'm off to see if I can sign up at CJ.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:

Did ValueClick, or for that matter, CJ, issued this in a press release? If they did not, then this statement is speculation.

No no no no no, Don't get back to work! I always enjoy a little less competition while everyone else frets about the future. If I have to change my links I will worry about it when the time comes.

Make your time

I wouldn't mind changing thousands and thousands of links if the outcome of this will boot all the scums out of the networks and run it really trusted third party and let's all work together in the right way, less headaches.

Think positive, you never know!

Okay back to making more pages!

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

ABW Ambassador
    "quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WayToGo:
    Did ValueClick, or for that matter, CJ, issued this in a press release? If they did not, then this statement is speculation."

I think that statement is common sense. Nothing will happen this year as far as changing of any links.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on October 14, 2003 at 05:47 PM.]

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    waytogo,

quote:

"Did ValueClick, or for that matter, CJ, issued this in a press release? If they did not, then this statement is speculation."

Both Todd and Scott from BeFree have said this. Does not make it official, but VC is in the money business they know better than to rock the boat in the middle of the busiest shopping season. The deal won't even be signed til mid November. Besides I've been through lots of mergers & acquisitions, some of which fell through at the very last minute. With most it takes at least a couple months for all the big wigs to agree on a new direction and strategy. Big companies move slow. I'm not too worried about any major changes til Feb or later.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    4LowRates ::ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds :: Roadloans :: More Soon!

Just Lurking
    quote:
    Big companies move slow. I'm not too worried about any major changes til Feb or later.

Sounds like plenty of time to make some links and some money.

I think VC needs to make a statement very soon about the link issue. I'm sure I am just one of thousands of affiliates that are concerned that links that we make now (especially at CJ) will no longer work in a month or two. VC needs to clearly state whether or not the links will work. I personally think it would be disasterous to change the linking system and instantly make millions (if not billions) of affiliates links all over the internet dead.

This is obviously an issue affecting both publishers and merchants, so it's not like VC can ignore it. As far as I can tell, they have made no announcement clearly stating what will happen with current links. The fact that they have even waited a few days seems like a mistake to me. They should have had this cleared up so that they could include it in the official statement about the buyout.

quote:
    Originally posted by david11982:
    I think VC needs to make a statement very soon about the link issue. I'm sure I am just one of thousands of affiliates that are concerned that links that we make now (especially at CJ) will no longer work in a month or two. VC needs to clearly state whether or not the links will work. I personally think it would be disasterous to change the linking system and instantly make millions (if not billions) of affiliates links all over the internet dead.

David,

I actually contacted VC concerning a statement, all I could get was the PR Gary’s voice mail and he has never returned my call. Guess we will all have to wait until the deal is completed, which is probably the best way to do it. Other wise if the deal does not go through they look like fools.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast