Happy Holidays!

I have a question about using dashes in domain "sub-directories". (not sure if that's what you call them.)

Right now the pages in my site have no dashes. For example, say my site is called Widgets.com. Then I have a page called Widgets.com/lights.

I want to expand my site my adding more specific pages. Which of the following ways is better to add pages? (better in terms of Google)

Widgets.com/flashing-lights (dashes)
    or
    Widgets.com/flashinglights (no dashes)

Previous posts say that adding the hyphens help the search engines distinguish between words, but make it harder for people to remember.

I'm not worried about people remembering the "sub" pages as my domain has no dashes and is easy to remember.

Are hyphens still the best way to go on my internal pages? Or is Google in any way penalizing those because of the way some people have "mis-used" them in domain names?

Right now, I'm leaning toward hyphens in the internal pages... but wanted to check with you all as I have not used them before.

I would appreciate any input you have! Thanks!

Paula [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

That which is essential is invisible to the eye. - St. Exupery

ABW Ambassador
    Not an expert, but I do have several dash-ridden url's that could not have possibly have been penalized in any way, as they rank tops for the specific terms involved. Whether it would work out the same without the dashes I do not know.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

markymark, we need your free services again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I haven't tried it, but what I've read is that lately dashes in subdirectory names doesn't make any difference.

While we are on the subject, underscores in a filename helps: keyword1_keyword2.html, but I try to keep it down to one or two.

And dashes in domain names helps, but not much. I've seen some research reports which suggests that google, in addition to word by word comparison, merges a search string, and then matches the merge to the domain name. Nothing but speculation of course.

-- Less is more --

Thanks for the replys Deelz and Cellophane!

You raised another question for me....

Would underscoring be even better than hyphens?

Widgets.com/flashinglights
    or
    Widgets.com/flasing-lights
    or
    Widgets.com/flashing_lights

Thanks!
    Paula [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

That which is essential is invisible to the eye. - St. Exupery

Underscores do better than dashes in filenames, or so the rumour says. Use dashes in domain and direcory names.

-- Less is more --

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cellophane:
    Underscores do better than dashes in filenames, or so the rumour says. Use dashes in domain and direcory names.

-- _Less is more_ --<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to take the opportunity to revise myself. With Google, dashes should be preferred over underscores also in filenames, according to GoogleGuy over at webmasterworld. According to the thread, google sees underscores as underscores, while dashes is seen as white space.

-- Less is more --

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    They Work for me!

Yep, Dashes have always worked for me. I name almost all my sub-directories and file-names with hyphens and most rank really good on google.

an even better option if you are looking for good google rankings can be having sub-domains insted of directories .. eg .. flashing-lights.widgets.com insted of widgets.com/flashing-lights - these dashes work even better when put in the sub-domain name.

Hope that helps,
    The Tathagata.

---
    "Ambition is like love, impatient both of delays and rivals" - The Tathagata

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread