I've not seen this before. All pages have the same pr

I noticed that on one of my websites. All pages PR 6.
    But I don't know how or why...

Gabe
    www.1lovecards.com

ABW Ambassador
    Hehe I've got pages showing PR immediately after I build them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Maybe the toolbar is busted.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

ABW Ambassador
    The toolbar guesses the PageRank of just created pages. Those pages have no PR until they are actually in the index.

Yeah, I've got some sites with the same PR on all pages - on small sites where all the pages link to all the other pages. You would still expect the homepage to have a greater PR, but this maybe part of the explanation.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

As far as I can tell PageRank isn't actually an integer, it's a floating point number, so your real PageRank might vary between (say) 5.1 and 5.7.

Now, as far as I can tell, there are a few factors at work here.

Firstly, let's assume that all your inbound links are to your home page. Each "step" away from your home page decreases the page rank a little. However, if all or most of your pages are directly accessible from the front page then the loss will be minimised.

Secondly, it seems that Google will drop PageRank as you progress through a directory structure. So the top level of dmoz.org is ranked 10, but each step down generally removes one PR point.

This would indicate that "flatter" was better for PageRank, but conversely using directories would give you more opportunity for keyword stuffing the URL.

Меня зовут Динаму

Markymark, I've always assumed that the PageRank you get for an unindexed page is actually the Toolbar revealing the "base PageRank" for your site. It's quite handy to know because it would indicate that ANY page you built on that site would have at least that PageRank with no extra work.

Меня зовут Динаму

ABW Ambassador
    No... Ive had pages toolbar guessed at one value, then once they make the index they have another (lower) value. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] err. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Wish what you said was so... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Plus its easy to see by making pages such as

widget.com/page.html
    widget.com/dir/page.html
    widget.com/dir/dir2/page.html
    widget.com/dir/dir2/dir3/page.html

Hitting those pages, and mousing over the toolbar. Based on what I've seen, its just a guess and any of those pages could have any PR once truly indexed (based on linkage)

If that makes any sense...my posts usually dont;)

Could also be one of those framed sites that actually load another website, but you cuold tell because the url wouldn't change.

Just saw this at another site, the .com redirected immediately to the .net of the same name, every page was a page rank 5, but if you go back to the .com and click on stop, you can see that the page rank there is 6.

Unindexed pages start with a base PR which can be modified up or down when indexed, as far as I can see.

I've had pages start with PR4 and then get shifted up or down after the index.

A classic example of how a directory structure effects page rank can be seen the the ODP or Google directory.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

ABW Ambassador
    Dynamoo,

Are you saying that pages not in the Google index have an actual PR value ? This doesn't make sense. If a page isn't indexed by Google, then it has no PageRank by definition. Hence, my belief that the toolbar is guessing a PageRank based on the PR of the other pages of the site.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Markymark, I've always assumed that the PageRank you get for an unindexed page is actually the Toolbar revealing the "base PageRank" for your site. It's quite handy to know because it would indicate that ANY page you built on that site would have at least that PageRank with no extra work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> this seems to contradict with what you wrote in the last post...

I still stand by that that is not true.. and the experiment I said above will show this, but, I may be misunderstanding what you're talking about with this "base PR" business. I still think the toolbar is just making only a guess, nothing more.

Hell, create a brand new page which isn't linked from anywhere. Hit it and mouse over the toolbar. You should see somewhere around your main site's PR - 1 assuming the page is in the root directory. That page is not indexed by google and truly has no PR, and never will most likely.

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Unindexed pages start with a base PR which can be modified up or down when indexed, as far as I can see.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well.. thats like saying any page on the web can start with any PR which can then be modified up or down..well..yeah [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    A classic example of how a directory structure effects page rank can be seen the the ODP or Google directory.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think its directory structure as much as linkage. A very deep DMOZ category will not be linked from anything but the category above it. It just so happens that, as in many well laid out sites, that the directory structure follows the navigation/linkage. It makes sense that way.

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Joseph,

We are in agreement on this. That quote you attributed to me is from Dynamoo, not from me. My first post said exactly what you are saying and my second post just backed it up.

Hmmm... I think the point is that the toolbar "making a guess" more or less equals a lookup of a "base PR".

Not all pages have PR (sometimes its greyed out). Sometimes the PR exists when the page is not (and never will be) in the index. If the toolbar is "guessing" then it is doing so with something site-specific.

Of course what we'd really like on the Google Toolbar is a button that explains how the heck it worked out the PR it did [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread