I may be crazy..but I think I read this somewhere and now can't seem to find it.
    Anyway...does a search engine know if you have copied and pasted content into your site? And if so..does it hold it against the site?

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    It's pointless to have duplicate content on two different sites in my opinion.

I believe they will eventually catch on and penalize your sites.

"I want to make you more money with a professional and low cost web design. Let's chat."

ABW Ambassador
    The answer is it depends on the search engine. AltaVista, for instance, has an extremely harsh duplicate content filter whereas Google, uh, doesn't. AV's filter will often mean the removal of both pages from their index, whereas Google will generally remove only one. Inktomi is pretty good at identifying duplicate content also and depending on the intent, the pages either get removed or rank very poorly.

If you are talking about copying and pasting product info from merchant site's, then generally speaking it shouldn't be a problem in Google. Duplicate content in the search engine sense means more than just taking a paragraph from here or there.

However, I agree with AffiliateMakeover - it is pointless. You won't rank well with content that has been copied and pasted from elsewhere and it provides no value to your visitors, so why do it ?

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    To answer your basic question: No.

They have no way of knowing if you copy/pasted it, or how exactly you generated the page.

But, yes, as the others have said some can detect duplicate content.

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

So the concensus here is that having a couple of paragraphs within the page that have been copied from the merchant's product blurb is OK?

Chances are, these same paragraphs have been duplicated all over the web, so the SEs apparently look at what comes before and after the copied paragraphs to determine duplicate content?

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

I really appreciate the replies. My concern was: Product descriptions and also future plans for a content site. I was planning on letting people submit articles for the link exchange. I am sure the articles that they write end up on several sites so I wanted to be sure.
    But it sounds like if my site is original and peppered with my own input it will be fine.

I have found that copying smaller product descriptions, etc. doesn't hurt anything with the SE's. But, I have also found that by improving the text that merchants provide us can improve ranking and eliminate the duplication problem. Also, the banner and graphic product links from some merchants have no "alt" text or "width/height" attributes. I rarely copy and paste without tweeking something.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread