[Those of you in the UK who know who Peter Snow is will understand the fun of playing around with big numbers like this ]

A common complaint from site submitters to the Open Directory is "Why does it take so long to get listed when there are so many editors?"

The ODP lists 53,359 editors looking after 3.8 million sites. That gives each editor an average of just over 71 sites each to look afer. So how come it can take so long to get processed?

Well, of the 53,000+ editors mentioned probably only 5,000 are active as the larger total includes all editors ever, including those not longer editing.

And out of those, if we assume that 90% are "junior" editors looking after a rough average of 200 sites per category. That would mean that there are 4,500 editors looking after just 900,000 sites.

If that is so, then that would leave 10% of "senior" editors (500) looking after 2.9 million sites, i.e. 5800 sites per editor. (Sanity check - until I got some help recently I had 4800 sites to look after).

In other words, 10% of the editors would be looking after 76% of the sites.

And if the submission rate of 15,000 entries a day is to be believed, then 10% of the editors on average would be trying to process 76% of the entries, which would be 22.8 entries a day, but only 0.8 entries per day in the more junior categories.

OK, now these figures are partly based on guesswork, speculation and rumor, and if you feed different numbers in, then you get very different results, but all of them seem to point to there not being enough active editors to go around.

However, there is a definite split between editors who look after just one or two categories, and those who look after great chunks of the directory.. and although every part of the directory has an editor *somewhere* in the hierarchy, you can see that the spread of editors around the directory is fairly uneven, and that some of the more senior editors have a huge amount of work to do just to keep up with submissions.

What's the solution? A tricky one for the editors and staff to work out I think. The ODP is the largest directory because it applies to most person-hours to building it... another guestimated statistic.. if each site takes five minutes to review, describe and categorise then the directory has taken 36 person years of work just to process the EXISTING entries, never mind the hundreds of thousands of sites going offline that need to be processed and the huge number of sites rejected.

And here's a final statistic for you.. if each listing was charged out at a Yahoo-rate $299 per year, the turnover of the ODP would be $1.1 billion annually. If only they'd gone IPO back in 1999 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Меня зовут Динаму

ABW Ambassador
    I think it's because DMOZ is overrated. A human edited directory would be great if it actually got updated every once in awhile. A lot of categories don't have an editor. All kinds of sites listed that no longer exist or have broken links everywhere. Most editors only become editors to get their sites it. After that they won't be doing much editing. Why would anybody want to edit without any benefit to oneself? boredom? Maybe they should start paying for editors but have it like Consumer Reports, so its somewhat fair.

Sales are everywhere, sales are mine.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Most editors only become editors to get their sites it. After that they won't be doing much editing. Why would anybody want to edit without any benefit to oneself?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    bingo! I'd also add or without detrmiment to their competitors...

Grrr... According to their no affiliate site rules, shouldnt most of http://dmoz.org/Home/Homemaking/Frugality/Refunding/ be removed from the dir?

I just wish someone would put my content site into it. I have asked, pleaded, begged and borrowed without a single response!

Anyone want to give me a hand?

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

ABW Ambassador
    I've tried before but always get rejected. If i ever get in, everybody here gets in automatically.

Sales are everywhere, sales are mine.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I think I've kept one or two people over there busy just regecting my applications to become an editor!!!

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

Well, the other geeky statistic would be that editors must have been accepted at the rate of about 1,000 per month by a handful of people.

The basic problem is that 500 people aren't enough to maintain three quarters of the directory, or whatever the actual figures might be.

Меня зовут Динаму

I applied to be an editor for Boise, Idaho.
    I was rejected and told that I would be bias.
    We still don't have an editor and I know I would be bias but shoot I know more about our internet community than they ever will.
    Who are they anyway?

They never have given me an answer if my site will be listed. I've given up just like I did on that girl in high school that would never give me a date.

I really liked her, just another sad story.

Scott Yant
    Mall Director
    Boise Online Mall.com

You could try applying again. However, I'd could see that your particular sight has a significant commercial interest so it would be best not reviewed by yourself. A bit of a conundrum.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    The basic problem is that 500 people aren't enough to maintain three quarters of the directory, or whatever the actual figures might be.
    - - - - -

But, Dynamoo, that's why you get paid the BIG bucks, right????! Eh, I know, you really have to be dedicated to volunteer for that project and actually remain objective to commercial interests.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

I know those 500 people may be overworked and that it is a position that requires dedication but I have submitted three times in 18 months to Dmoz without a reply.
    They did take the time to judge me and tell me I would be bias. Maybe that was just an automatic reply.

The truth is Dmoz is a great directory and everybody has a broken link somewhere. To be ignored just because we offer affiliate links to shopping and online services that my visitors shop or browse and may never have known exisisted is actually a service, a contribution of current content, it should not be a automatic assumption to reject a listing.

There is more than just shopping links we promote. We sponsor events and advertise at no charge our local charities and non profit organizations. In the mean time we have a business to run and the affiliate links were never part of the original business plan. It did become a request that our visitors made that they wanted more national shopping opportunities.

Anyway our little online mall in Boise will continue on in it's plan to entertain and inform our local niche with hopes that someday a Dmoz editor will come along and hit the access granted key into the directory.

Scott Yant
    Mall Director
    Boise Online Mall.com

trying to become an editor is sometimes a pain in the a$$ one of the reasons why i dont really mind anymore is because i got to know the editor in my regional cat i submit too, (well she emailed me out of the blue, because our company makes up the bulk of submissions which go to her over 95% are from our company, she asked is their anything i can do to help you?! )

Now days our clients sites i submit have a 1 day turn around with descriptions pretty much left in-tack. Great lady she is!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Now only for the RDF dump not to give off errors hey? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

yahHayH!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread