ABW Ambassador
    I have noticed quite a few sites not using the Meta Tag Description and they get fairly good rankings on MSN. So I am asking should or shouldn't we use that Meta Tag?
    Cazzie

Like a lot of sites, MSN will use the Meta desc if it's there, or use text from your page if it's not.

Using the meta desc gives you control over how your site is described, so on that level they are worthwhile.

On the other hand, Google will ignore them, except in rare cases with framed or flash content where the meta desc is the only thing it can get.

Either way, they don't hurt and they can help, so yep, I use them.

Hi
    I have been playing around with meta descriptions for the last few months and have managed to get some really decent results with just changing the wording.

I think that a really good meta description helps with the likes of Google when people are searching for specific things.

An example would be my airport tranfers page. I have eventually settled for a pharse which lists very high when anyone does searchices for tranfer services between three differant airports.

Now when you do a search for "Glasgow airport tranfers", "Edinburgh Airport Transfer", "Prestwick Airport Transfer" I get top listing for Glasgow and within top 5 for the other two airports.

The meta tag that I have finally got working the way I want it too is:

<meta name="description" content="Glasgow Airport Transfers (also Edinburgh/Prestwick">

Also there has been some debate over keywords, well, its easy enough to generat a set of them so I always put them on every page.

Anyway, sit down and think what you want to call your page, have a look at what others are doing for your similar product(s). Do some changes, Google will usually pick them up within 24hrs if shes visiting you on a regular basis.

Well thats my views and the things that I have managed to do over the past year its been fun just trying to get the right mix. I still have to do some work on some other less important pages to get them further up the chain.

regards John

John Dundas
    http://gph.org.uk
    johndundas@gph.org

ABW Ambassador
    cazzie
    Inktomi uses the meta tags to rank pages so if you are submitting through inktomi then use them. If you are in MSN from some other channel, I do not know whether meta tages are that inportant. Not sure if mSN's algo uses them or not. My understanding was that onlu Inktomi still uses them.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    Definetly use all the tags. I read everywhere that the keyword tag is hardly used but after checking my logs today i get traffic from keywords i put into that tag over 2 years ago. Some page 1 listings in Google where the keywords in the keywords tag are nowhere on my page.

Sales are everywhere, sales are mine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

On the other hand, Google will ignore them, except in rare cases with framed or flash content where the meta desc is the only thing it can get.

Either way, they don't hurt and they can help, so yep, I use them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are we talking about the meta tag TITLE? Because Google always uses what I put there.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Every day is a chance to learn something new and a opportunity to teach someone else.

ABW Ambassador
    Always use meta description tag. Title tag is most important, then description tag.

Google will use your description tag in the results if the keyword the user typed in, is mentioned in the tag. It will show the whole sentence that the keyword is in. If it's not in the description, it then goes gets the text from the body of your site.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1:
    Definetly use all the tags. I read everywhere that the keyword tag is hardly used but after checking my logs today i get traffic from keywords i put into that tag over 2 years ago. Some page 1 listings in Google where the keywords in the keywords tag are nowhere on my page.

Sales are everywhere, sales are mine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen pages ranking high for competitive terms when the keyword is not on the page or META tags. Had to do with a lot of inbound links pointing to the page with that keyword. And it was not an old version of the page in the cache.

Strange things can happen.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread