I'm gonna change my DNS to point to my new server this month.... the trouble is godaddy will give me 24hours downtime on my site. I was thinking that I would do the switch on Xmas eve, figuring that would be a quiet period. The only thing that concerns me is the google dance... don't wanna get left out in the cold.... should I make the switch on New Years Eve instead??

Thanks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Don't really understand your problem, usually during a DNS change, you keep your old server operational until the DNS changes propagate throughout the Internet - you should have no downtime.

Basically:
    -Keep the old server running
    -upload the site into the new server
    -after the DNS change starts to show, wait a couple of days, then take down the old server.
    It is good to wait a couple of days because some ISPs take longer than others to change their DNS cache.

Make sure you have something different on the version you upload to the new server, so you know when the DNS change happened. I usually add a dot to the end of my copyright notice.
    Instead of "All Rights Reserved",
    I have "All Rights Reserved."

Well, recently I changed some pages that were parked and forwarded by godaddy. When I set the DNS to a hosting company outside of godaddy it took 24 hours before the domain name propicated (48 hours before roadrunner refreshed it's DNS list)

So from what you are saying, when I change the DNS address there will be no downtime? Have you done this with GoDaddy, or is this just a general assumption. The site is currently hosted at Godaddy.

Thanks again for the advice [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hi,

According to what you are saying, Godaddy is acting as your Hosting Company and Registrar, I assumed they were just the registrar.

I have changed DNS info a few dozen times in different sites and never had any downtime.

I would call or email GD and ask them what is the deal.

Good luck.

Hi, downtime is unavoidable, if your new web space is using a "shared IP." With this, you can't upload your site to your new space, until the DNS root directory has been updated and points to your new hosts DNS server. (Because there's no way for you to connect to the new space through the Internet without a static IP for your account). From there, the local DNS entry on the hosts server will point to your web space.

But Defanjos is right about static IP accounts. There should be no down time, if your host gets you setup properly--DSNs, CSR-cert file install, password protect folders, set default file types, mail server setup, reg dlls...

Fman

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hi, downtime is unavoidable, if your new web space is using a "shared IP."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not true. If you set up an account using a shared IP, the host will give you the IP address to upload the site to, like this:

260.62.142.1/username .

There should be no downtime during DNS changes regardless of the type of hosting offered.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

No they don't or won't. I've been at over a dozen web hosts. The ones using shared IPs are doing it for a reason--to save money. Setting it up so users can upload their site before the root DNS updates isn't in their plans. I'm speaking from pratical experience here.

Fman

Hmmmm ... we are a Host provider. If a DNS record change is an issue we do exactly as Markymark said Host providers will do: 260.62.142.1/username&lt;- added while new DNS record is in activation limbo.

DesignerWiz
    http://DesignerWiz.com

You must be using some really $hitty hosts Fman.... Every host I've ever come across allows you to upload the moment you pay them to open your account (well, once they receive the payment).

Well folks it worked out just fine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I changed the DNS at godaddy and this morning I see the change.... even on roadrunner!!!

I have had the site copied to the new server for a while and was afraid to do anything further! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I have found that some servers don't let you access the pages before DNS propogation (GoDaddy don't this) Thmedia DOES allow access to your pages which is really neat... (shame I only read this a day or two ago! lol) http://IP_address/~username/ perhaps this is what Fman is refering to [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the advice guys ;-)

When switching DNS records and the like, at some point your visitors will be viewing your website from the Old Host, and Some will be viewing your website from the New Host... depending on That Viewers ISP, and whether they updated their DNS records or not to.

So there "should" not be down time, however if your website keeps records, like Order Data, then it might get put on your old servers database, (and some, on your new), which you would then need to find a way to transfer to your new hosts database of your site, assuming you use a database

So this is a late, late reply lol but non the less hope it helps someone

12. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread