For all you out there considering dropshipping in order to get your datafeed listed with Froogle, think again.

I have an Oscommerce powered site selling magazine subscriptions. This means that I can no longer use 2Checkout.com as my credit card processor as they want confirmation that the product has been shipped before they will release the funds. BUT, as you know, magazine subs can take up to 2 months to be delivered!

So I accept Paypal payments using their IPN facility.

After emailing Google regarding their datafeeds, I received this reply:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Thank you for your interest in having your products included in Froogle's product search results. At this time, however, we are not able to include you in Froogle, as your site does not conform to one or more of our criteria for inclusion, as below:

*It must be possible to complete a purchase through your web site with a major credit card, and at this time, we are not accepting sites that use paypal only for transaction processing.

Here is a link to our FAQ about this:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle/merchants.html#feed

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email us back. Also, if you accept credit cards in your own format that we missed (or decide to do this in the future), let us know!

Thanks again for your interest.

The Google Team

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I studied the FAQ's but cannot find any reference to their anti-Paypal policy.

How can we score if they keep moving the goalposts?

Just trying to make an honest buck

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Obviously they want product merchants who's feet can be held to the fire if consumers don't get delivery. Policy seems to minimize the risks associated with purchasing from middlemen who have no inventory. I assume their also restrictive of those selling services which cannot appear in a ecatalog. I wonder also about the acceptance of those who use eBay as their primary sales outlet or the MLM vitamin/cosmetics guys & gals.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I use PayPal on my site, tarice.com , and , though I need to improve the ecommerce system (coming in January ) , I was kind of ticked that they rejected my site for froogle. I have emailed them asking for them to reconsider, since I am selling my products out of my warehouse. I'll letcha know if they reconsider me. Obviously, they have hired an ex-Overture employee or two.

"No day is so bad, it can't be fixed with a nap." - Carrie Snow

ABW Ambassador
    Froogle is for merchants only.
    Very few serious merchants are going to accept paypal.

No serious merchant is going to accept paypal only.

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    By accepting merchants who have merchant accounts, part of their screening has already been done for them as far as legitimate merchants go. I accept PayPal, but it is just an option along with Visa, MC, Discover, and AmEx. I just sent in my request. Will be interested is seeing their response. I'm wondering about the limited number of products that I carry.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Very few serious merchants are going to accept paypal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what DO serious merchants use?

As I said at first, I used 2Checkout.com ( Very few serious merchants are going to accept 2Checkout.com) but as I sell magazine subscriptions, I cannot conform to the CC company policy of delivering within 7 days.

Even if I went with a merchant service such as Worldpay or Authorize.net, this problem would still exist. So how do the others do it?

ABW Ambassador
    Who the heck wants to sift thru a bunch of merchants that only accept PayPal?

When I buy a product on the web, I want to use a real credit card. That is the American f'ing way man. PayPal? That is for amateurs.

Maybe if they put a little red flag next to your listings so that the majority of us who do not use PayPal could avoid your sites, but that would be a major PITA if I had to actually visit your site to find out.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Buggy,

2checkout is not your own merchant account either. They are what's classified as a reseller.

With your own merchant account, you could get around the 7 day thing. I don't deal in mag subscriptions or items that would have a delayed ship date (such as a custom made product). If you talk to a company like Authorize.net (they are actually the gateway company and not the merchant account, although they can hook you up with merchant banks), they can tell you how it's handled. I know with my gateway, I have an option to freeze a transaction.

The customer places the order and I get credit card authorization. At that point, it is just pending. I have my account set up to batch for settlement (the actual charge to the account) automatically daily. But I could tell them to set it for manual batches. If I set it for manual batch, then nothing would charged to my customer until I specify each individual transaction for settlement. I just know that initially, it was a valid credit card. I suppose 2 months down the road, the card could become expired, over the limit, etc. Or even with automatic batching, I could go in and "freeze" the transaction so it is held from the automatic batching. When I'm ready for the charge to go through, I "unfreeze" it and it will be batched with the next transactions.

Considering that people who sell magazine subscriptions do take payment by credit card, then there is a leagl work around with a real merchant account. It may be that as long as you notify the customer of the time frame to get their first magazine, you are in the clear. But again, it would be best to talk to a merchant bank or reputable gateway to find out the specifics.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>That is the American f'ing way man. PayPal? That is for amateurs.

Maybe if they put a little red flag next to your listings so that the majority of us who do not use PayPal could avoid your sites, but that would be a major PITA if I had to actually visit your site to find out.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for clearing that up Jimbo2002. I always thought that the American way was to bomb the cr*p out of anyone who didn't agree with their myopic view of the World. I stand corrected!

BLFH:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Considering that people who sell magazine subscriptions do take payment by credit card, then there is a leagl work around with a real merchant account. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I thought. I'm looking into it at the moment. But til I find a solution, it's Paypal...

I thought the American Fn way was C.O.D.

Let Fear Be Far from All

buggy,

What BLFH describes is the best way to go and as far as I know, the only way, if you have delayed delivery.

Authorization of the Card at checkout. Sales Transaction prior Shipment.

There are 2 possible scenarios

one cent or one dollar authorization transaction at checkout to validate the credit card.
    New Sales transaction for the full amount prior delivery.

Authorization transaction for the full order amount. Sales transaction refering to Authorization transaction (settlement) prior delivery. Be aware, that authorizations on a credit card expire after a certain time. The time frame is up to the bank who issues the credit card.

I would go with 1., if I would be you.

The bad thing is, that it will create overhead due to declined sales transaction. There is no way around.
    Most Payment Gateway companies have SDK's available, that you can build your own application to automate this and reduce the manual labor involved.

If you "shop around" for an Online Credit Card processing company, consider also Verisign and EFTSecure.com

Carsten

Thanks Carsten

Option 1 looks like the way to go....

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread