I am seeing more and more domain redirect with an affiliate link in Google.

Will google become smart enough to kill these? Will vendors realize these affiliates are actually not helping them make sales?

It just irritates me...

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Redirects are an important feature of the HTTP protocol.

Altavista's site is full of them.

What exactly do you mean by "domainredirect with an affiliate link", and what's not helpful about these for Vendors?

As I see it the vendor is receiving a visitor and hopefully it is a person interested in a paticular product sold by the vendor.

I used to do a lot of redirects to my merchants websites. I made fairly good money doing it and don't see anything wrong with that. I no longer do this because google has cracked down on this a lot in the last couple of years but I would never turn down a good money maker if one were to come my way.

This is something very popular to do with expired domains or other websites that are no longer supported and updated on a regular basis.

I use meta refresh a lot with my PPC traffic. I find it is a way of double and triple checking the traffic stats. Some of these pages may get picked up by the spiders, some might not. I see no problem with it at all from either the consumers or merchants perspective.

Tony Felice

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What irritates me is when there's nothing but a qksrv link listed. There's just something galling when the competition doesn't even bother to come up with a domain name! I'm not going to say it's "wrong" or "unethical"...it's just IRKSOME as H to make a page, do SEO, and then there's this "qksrv.net" thing with no associated page of its own competing with me for rank. Blankety blank blank..

I don't have any domain redirects going to merchants. But (despite the above grousing) if it turns out that Google is going to allow it to work nicely, I can't see not doing it for some merchants. As for "actually not helping them make sales", the fact is that even a redirect DOES help the merchant--by increasing exposure to their site in the results pages.

But I think there's a lot of merchants--most of them--who could benefit a lot more with actual pre-sell pages. A lot of them need help in the spin department...and with a redirect there isn't any chance for the affiliate to do anything to increase the conversion ratio! So except for the few merchants who really know how to make a site that converts very well on its own, I think it's worth the effort it takes to write a pitch.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I think Froogle's ebiz plan gives you a hint on merchant/product page redirects by affiliates. I'm sure Google will start weeding these out of their mix and even PRO sites for trying this quickroad to riches. The 3rd world PPCSE's don't mind anything that drains a advertisers account.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

It is really as Leader said, the qksrv link that is listed.

I am curious how such a redirect would gain ranking, I am guessing the redirect is 'invisible' to the search engines and gets its value from the hard work (yes this is debatable for some) they have done to sell their products.

This is really nothing more than a rant, and it irks me.

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread