While I'm waiting for someone to respond to my last two posts from the previous topic '...PR0 is a penalty...', I sadly discovered one thing on my own: all my pages that used to have pr 1 and had some traffic now brings me almost no traffic at all because they all have solid pr 0. I put in so much painful work into those pages (must have ~300 pages) and now they are not bringing me any traffic!

I bet my conclusion is correct, that is google does not put your pr 0 pages under any normal keywords regardless whether it is about penalty or something else. One of my pages got ranked on the first 3 pages under the keyword 'dog jackets' but now it can be found nowhere, even nothing on the title and keywords changed! I tried other keywords for different pages, the results are the same: these pages can't not be found by anyone!

I'm so confused and not feeling like eating or doing anything. Even with everything has been said on this board, I don't think I have any idea on what has happened to my site and why? What I'm afraid the most is my page ranking may again drop one more level next time and I'm going to lose at least another half of the hard earned traffic. It feels even worse because I have to nervously wait for another long month to see the results!

snakebaby

Did you ever submit that site to DMOZ. The reason I ask is that I have an old site that has PR0. It was submitted to DMOZ and rejected as an affiliate site. I fixed it up.. added content but could never get them to look at it again. So I bought another domain to put this stuff on and it was accepted. Always felt like that site had been blacklisted somehow. I have links to this site from other sites of mine that are not affiliate sites.

Hi, Snakebaby:

I'm fairly new at the affiliate game, so take this suggestion with a *big* grain of salt:

Looking at your site at the URL you posted in an earlier thread, I counted 65 links on your "links" page.

I wonder if Google might have marked you down as being a "link farm"?

You've got some text along with the link, which is good. But that's a lot of links.

I know you're looking for ideas, so I thought I'd toss this one out.

It's just a thought, and likely wrong. I hope someone else more knowledgeable can comment on it.

-- Mike

Thanks for your comments, Mike

I personally don't think google would consider it as link farm. There are lots of sites that have good pr have the similar layout for the links page as mine. So unless someone can convince us that this can be bad, I'm not worried about it.

Jane, thanks also for your words

I never tried to submit my site to dmoz. Though others say it doesn't hurt to give it a try, I am not sure. The rule is so clear and noticeble, I know with my current design there is no way I can pass a human review, why take the risk, even it maybe a tiny little risk.

Best

snakebaby

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Okay, this one's On Topic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I bought another domain to put this stuff on ~Jane<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bingo...

It beats watching slow death and worrying! But change it a bit so that one of the sites isn't ignored as a mirror.

(PR is officially supposed to be based on links-in, but I have noticed that what follows in this post has affected the SERP rank of my pages many times, and the PR has been affected more than once, as well.)

I see it's a Mall site! Ah...I have lots of malls and think I know some of (note: not ALL of) what's up. Creeping de-ranking happens so much I have a name for it: Rank Rot. Rank Rot is when the rank, well...rots, month after month, until there isn't any significant rank left on some pages!

It's often a matter of updating. By the apparent size of the site, I'd bet that lots of those pages haven't been updated significantly in ages. (Unless you are superhuman, anyway!) So Google starts to "think" those pages have been abandoned and starts to derank them.

One of the tricks is to go and change the text or featured product on a page (for instance, feature a Big Giant Widget instead of a little red widget--but the general type of item ["widgets"] stays the same) every 3-4 months...but then there's always the risk of accidentally de-optimizing the page and basically kicking your own butt.

Another thing for the updating (I just noticed a very long page on your site)--it seems to matter what percentage of a page is changed. It will take a lot more changes to trigger an update-related rank change on a long page, than a short one.

I've noticed bang-obvious correlations between rank and newness where updates are concerned, which is why I listed that, but sometimes there is more to it. Just what else is involved, I don't know. Google has a lot of Mystery Meat in its algo! And when people start figuring out which animal it is, they throw in some *different* mystery meat and the analyzing starts all over again...

As for your links page, though, I am fairly certain it's not causing a penalty. That particular page has fairly good rank--PR4. Link pages flagged for being farms get PR0'd.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

Ok, how bout this weirdness. I had a site keyed to come up for christmas gifts. Started doing major design changes on it last month and about the middle of the month I also start changing keywords to something more in season so I will be ready for the Jan update. Freshbot hits the site and I loose my christmas keywords before I am ready. New design shows on the google cached page. Well I wasn't ready to loose my Christmas keywords so I put them back and now of course they are off again. Thing is the old design is back in the google cache. YYY?

Snakebaby,

Sorry to see you're frustrated with this. I hope it gets better with the next update.

But, I think you're just trying too hard. You should relax a bit, and do some cleaning in your site, instead of adding, with the user in mind, not GoogleBot.

Everytime Google changes their algo, they have the user mind, to provide to most relevant searches, and minimizing spammed results.

This method works well for me, that I even beat Bizrate.com in many cases.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread