Hello everyone:

After all the discussions as well as reading couple of articles about 'page rank', I have decided to make some major changes to my site. But before I get it started, I need someone's opinion since there might be heavy work involved and I can't afford wasting any of my time.

Currently my index page is like this:

http://www.ishopworld.com

According to the articles, internal linking is a very important part of page rank calculation, but all my important pages are deep down than necessary. So I am thinking to switch my current index page to the following page that has direct links to all my important pages:

http://www.ishopworld.com/online_mal...e_shopping.htm

Not sure about the pros and cons with this type of change, that's why I need a immediate help.

My current index page looks better than the pure shopping page, but I guess it might be worth it to throw this page out.

Please help! Though any info will be greatly appreicated, I really need a sure answer from you to avoid going too far on a diffent wrong way.

Thanks a lot in advance.

snakebaby

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Sorry, dunno for sure!

But I did make a point in your other thread (your newer other thread, the one without many replies yet) that may be a help as to your PR question.

As for your front page, it sounds like a good idea to me. Pages with links directly to them tend to rank higher, in my experience. But I don't know for sure. I'd suggest that you wait for more replies on this before doing anything big!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    I think that if you are going after Google traffic that not many people are going to enter through your index page. Therefore, it hardly matters what it looks like.

As for which one will help get your internal pages higher ranking, I'll leave that up to the SEOs.

I am kind of curious if the external affiliate links you have on the current homepage degrade how much PR is passed on to the internal pages.

You have brought up some good questions and interesting discussion on a topic that is on the minds of a lot of affiliates.

Design your index page with direct links to all you important internal pages....This will distribute your PR to your internal sales pages...

You can also place affiliate links in the index page , but since your PR is low ( PR 4) i will do it as an Javascript link so that google will not folow it and PR is not passed...by this you conserve your PR to the internal pages...

If i have a high PR like 6 or 7 i will not worry much about PR leaking thro aff links...

"The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their Dreams."

Thanks a lot for all your valuable information.

I didn't know that external affiliate links would degrade my pr potentially. I thought the opposite way because I assumed those aff sites normally have pretty good ranking so google would appreciate such links.

I just read an article about page rank, it does say that lower ranking sites will not affect your pr but higher ranking sites will improve your pr. The article seems to be pretty official.

If the article is correct, the aff links should not do any damage to my pr.

Any further thoughts?

thanks

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds good, but don't link to any sites that are PR0! Somewhere on google it refers to bad neighbors and it can effect your PR.
    Cazzie

Believe it or not, I discovered a site with pr 0 on my links page just after the google update. I was stunned. The owner requested link exchange back to last June, and the site looks very professional. I had no idea I had a pr0 site on my links page. I posted my question about this on another related topic but no one responded and they all shifted to another topic after all.

I did immdiately drop the site. I figured the site must have been penalized by google and I was indeed affected.

Is it appropriate to let public know the name of the site here so you can take a look at it?

ABW Ambassador
    No you don't have to post it. There are several reasons why a site might have a PR0, but I am not smart enought to figure it out so I just don't link with PRO or greyed out sites. I try to link with PR5 and higher pages if at all possible. Right or wrong that is what I do. I also periodically check my links page to make sure that everything remains the same as when I created the recip link. First to make sure they are still linking with me, and if the status of their site has changed. I have had some sites place my link and then a few months later the link is gone. Sneaky way to get a one way link.
    Cazzie

Well, I would definitely not have changed to that page, you have to sell too = put some great products in the visitors face.

My suggestion would be:
    - tweak the homepage, or
    - learn javascript and process (load, redirect) the some of the links in an external js file. Then the links wont be read by Googlebot, and PR wont leak.

If you should do anything at all. IMO people are way to busy with PR. A PR4 page can easily take down a PR 6, if you got the rest of it right. It's even faster to optimize for other things than PR.

-- Less is more --

[This message was edited by Cellophane on January 07, 2003 at 09:02 PM.]

I hate posting "me too" posts, but I think rsgopi is spot on - it doesn't matter what the front page looks like so much as how you distribute the PageRank and I think the newer page would be better from that point of view.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

Thank you all guys.

Since this is such a complicated world, I know that I cannot get anything official (wish to make a friend with one of googlbot programmers).

So with everyone's opinion as well as by reading articles about page rank (not just PR), I already made my decision on making some major changes. It has been partially done. My internal linking was totally messed up and that could be the biggest problem with my pr drop.

As for affliate links, I doubt they can affect one's ranking. I have seen so many sites that have very good ranking (pr6, pr7) with afflicate links all over the site. The most part of it is I don't have any time to learn javascript. I'm planning on develop a second mall with my current second set of pages placed, the pages that might have scewed my internal linking.

Anyway, thanks for any kind of thoughts and opinion. I really appreciate it. I may have many other questions in the future.

Best

snakebaby

I use a site index page.

Gets pages listed every time and they rank surprisingly well for keywords.

Also, side navigation in an SSI file gets all the links on every page except the home page which is virtually blank except for one or two sentences.

This has gotten the home page a PR6 and other pages a PR of 5 or 4

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Snakebaby,

" I don't have any time to learn javascript"

If you wish to incorporate javascripts into your pages for special functions, it is not necessary to learn javascript. There are many ready made javascripts available free on the internet. All you have to be able to do is ready and follow the instructions for implementing them. To find them, it is only necessay to search on any SE for "javascripts".

Just don't get carried away and use too many or use them inappropriately. Like if you use one for a drop down menu, also provide this same menu in HTML somewhere on your page. The SE's cannot read the links in a javascript menu.

Gene
    TCS

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread