I have been reading with great interest many of the theads in this forum about Google. Being a novice many of things talked about just go right over my head because you all are obviously extreamly knowledgable on this subject. Perhaps you can help me in a few areas?

1) How can I determine what my Pagerank is in Google?
    2) How do I submit my site to Google for indexing?
    3) Should I submit each page within my site and should each page have it's own keywords etc?

Hope these questions aren't too basic. I'll keep reading and learning from all of you.

Thanks

Rick

ABW Ambassador
    Pagerank: get the toolbar:
    http://toolbar.google.com/

Adding URL for index:
    http://www.google.com/addurl.html

Submit each page? No, google will find them if you have links to them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> should each page have it's own keywords etc?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Each page should have its own title with the keyword you want to target in it.As far as the META keywords and description, I make them different for every page, but I don’t stress over the perfect keywords. Google doesn’t even look at your meta keywords, but other search engines do. Those other SE’s might only bring you one visit a day combined (that’s 365 yr), but if it only takes a second or two to put your most important keywords in your meta tag it’s worth it to me, but again I’m not going to take 5 minuets coming up with the keywords.

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

ABW Ambassador
    As far as getting you site into Google you can use the submit url form at Google. The better way is to get other sites to link to you. Try to find sites with a PR of at least 5 with not too many outgoing links. To start, any sites linking to yours will help. You don't have to submit each page just you index page as long as you have links to your other pages or a site map linking to them. Google crawls and follows links. This is how it finds your pages. Each page should have its own keywords. As far as your meta tags, the title is the most important followed by description. I don't worry about the keywords tag too much. Try to focus each page on 1 or at the most 2(1 is better) keyword or phrase. Put the keyword or phrase at the start of your title tag and description tag, etc. Also put it at the beginning of a paragraph if you have one and sprinkle the keyword or phrase throughout the page. Don't worry about keyword density as long as you can fit them in without over doing it and it sounds good when you read it, but be consistent with it. Then concentrate on getting links to your site. Once you get a page rank, what i do is try to find other sites with at least my page rank, and finding sites with a higher page rank than mine is better. Try to get your site listed in DMOZ, this will help a lot, but is hard to do. If you can't get into DMOZ, what works great for me is finding sites already listed in DMOZ with a higher page rank than me, with not to many outgoing links.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

Thanks for the help. I installed the Google tool bar as wiesinator suggested and it has the button for page rank. But how do I know what number it represents? The only thing on the tool bar is a scale.

Also, I have read alot about getting others to link to my page so I understand your suggestion, trustno1. I guess I'm not real sure how to approach someone and who might be relevant.

Thanks

Rick

ABW Ambassador
    The scale represents you page rank on 0-10.

There's no way of determining the "real" page rank, just a scale as to where your page sits.

ABW Ambassador
    Where it says page rank, put your mouse over it and it will tell you the page rank. If its grey it has no page rank yet. The best way to exchange links is just email a site and tell them i'll link to you if you will link to me. It helps if you put a link to their site already, but i never do that. I try to find sites that are kinda like mine but aren't in direct competition with mine. When you are visiting site looks for a "links" link on somebodys site. This link usually takes you to their link page and they probably will do a link exchange. Say something nice in your email like "Wow what a great site you have, would you be interested in a link exchange"
    Most will exchange links as it helps both parties.

Thanks to all who provided help on this!!!

Rick

One more quick question. How often does Google re-index a site?

Rick

ABW Ambassador
    Once a month there is a big re-index, shuffling of search engine rankings called the Google Dance. Throughout the month there are little changes called everflux. There is also a fresh bot that updates certain pages, usually those with a good page rank. With those pages you can make changes and see them almost immediately. Sometimes those freshbot pages get updated daily, sometimes there is a gap of a day or 2. You can tell which pages those are by looking in the search results for dates at the end of the search results. But basically 1 big change usually near the end of the month.

Thanks for the insight.

One more question (for now), How often should I submit my site to the search engines?

Rick

ABW Ambassador
    Once your site is in the search engines you don't have to submit anymore. I would concentrate on getting links to your site, link exchanging, thats how search engines find your site. If i have a new site, all i do is link from one of my sites already in the search engine. The way i do it,if i have a new site or new page is just link to it from my index page of a site that gets visited frequently by the fresh bot.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread