ABW Ambassador
    I've edited ODP for a few years now so I thought had seen it all by now.

I made the mistake of submitting a site that I just finished instead of adding it to an appropriate category myself. HUGE mistake! There are two affiliate text links on the home page and the editor red flagged it as an affiliate site.

Over 100 hours down the drain because some moron did not even bother to take a look beyond two text links. Literally $100s invested blown because a metaeditor does not know the guidelines.

ABW Ambassador
    Blast 'em Jimbo. I have talked to a few of the ODP editors who have kept people out of DMOZ simply because the didn't like the tone of the content. I am not impressed, but what the heck can ya do.

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    Well, you could ignore Dmoz altogether, that usually works. If there's plenty of non-commercial content, it might be worth submitting to Zeal..and goguides.org and joeant.com.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    Why is that merchants whose sole intent is to make money can get listed yet affiliate sites are so condemed?

Lets suppose the rule was reversed where merchant sites couln't get listed but affiliates sites could. Would this be fair? I personally think that eventually the obvious non fairness and hipocrit rules towards affiliates will be challenged.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    Over 100 hours down the drain because some moron did not even bother to take a look beyond two text links. Literally $100s invested blown because a metaeditor does not know the guidelines.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on! Is it that important to get listed in DMOZ? I don't think so. If you think of it as an acceleration to increase your Google PR and ranking, there are easier ways to do that. You make it seem like so dramatic, that only purpose of your site was to get listed in DMOZ to exist on the Internet.

Happypoon,

I understand their stance against the affiliate sites and it's rightly so. You compare merchants against the affiliates, but most of the affiliate sites are clones of merchant sites in one way or another. So I don't think what they do is unfair.

They are not against the commercial sites or content, but they like unique content.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah I totally agree with their stance....however, there are sites which have a lot of content and also happen to have affiliate links and editors deny or worse red flag them...

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

ABW Ambassador
    I happen to agree with their stance - well, what it says in the rules, anyway, but also agree with Joseph that editors are not applying these rules properly.

For instance, one of the things that will ensure a submission doesn't get accepted is if the link is an affiliate link.

IE: If I submit this link: www.genericmerchant.com/?myid=xxxx

Then the editor will reject it because of the affiliate link or simply list genericmerchant.com without my affiliate link at the end.

This rule has been badly misinterpreted by Dmoz editors to mean that sites that have affiliate links on them are not to be included in the ODP. I've even seen ODP newsletters that refer to the 'no affiliate links' rule (as explained above) and are actually talking about sites with affiliate links on them. Which is quite a different thing altogether.

I'll post some links later when I can find them so you can see what I mean.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Come on! Is it that important to get listed in DMOZ? I don't think so. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, to me it is. Why have a site that whose reach will always be handicapped compared to the competition?

Anyways, it is personal now. A meta-editor should know the better.

What do you expect from a bunch of college kids who have never paid taxes and think that Karl Marx was one of the Founding Fathers?

Oops - did I say that out loud?

I think they are trying to weed out the affiliate who just make a page and put all affiliate links without having any content at all. However, they should consider pages that have usefull content even though they have affiliate links here and there.

=xo=

Some editors still don't get the guidelines that affiliate links are OK - you just mentally blank 'em out.

Just for a bit of entertainment though, do a search for qksrv at DMOZ.

A good place to raise this might the the ODP Public Forum because that will usually get an answer.
    ________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

I understand there is a misinterpretation and even widely miuse of OPD rules. And some editors just become to list their sites (as Jimbo almost admitted) and block the competetion out.

If there is wide misprsentation of sites not to be included if they contain affiliate link, the top category editors should be made aware of this.

An editor strictly should look at the content. And affiliate links may have been used as an advertisement on the site, not sole content. Otherwise, why only tick of by qksrv, linksynergy, befree, but not by doubleclick. Not fair!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And some editors just become to list their sites (as Jimbo almost admitted) and block the competetion out.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I object to that slanderous characterization. What exactly did I say to lead you down that path?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    I made the mistake of submitting a site that I just finished instead of adding it to an appropriate category myself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're an editor of a category that your site fits well, you'd add it yourself. Apparently, it didn't, so you submitted and another editor rejected.

And you have a remorse for that. But, if you had added it to a category that you manage, eventhough it wasn't appropriate, it would not be fair.

I did not mean to offend your, I just made a generalazation. Now, I leave you out of that generalazation.

Jimbo, you're saying that a *meta* did this though?

I've had a similar thing happen to me, there were two possible cats for me to submit to, one of which is one I edited, so I chose the cat I *didn't* edit for the submission.. and boy, did I get a sucky description or *what*?

________

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There are two affiliate text links on the home page and the editor red flagged it as an affiliate site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bah, that Commie Directory did that to me, too. And no explanation from the editor! But I asked some of ABW's resident editors...and they said that the report said my BAMM links were the reason!

Now this isn't my usual all-commercial site...At the time of submission, it had c*ntent in the center of the page (the main part), a half-banner at the top, and a BAMM button at the side linking to the appropriate book. (Now I have different merchants on there and the top banner is a full banner.)

Personally I think the editor just wanted to monopolize the category with her and her friends.

Of course the whole point of that c*ntent site was to get a good Page Rank to send on over to the REAL SITES but those links weren't on there yet...but it's a fine enough c*ntent site and a lot better than some others I've seen in its category.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why have a site that whose reach will always be handicapped compared to the competition? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's the good news: It won't be. I wasn't about to remove my aff links from there just to get in DMOZ (I don't do sites with no way to get paid!) and was surprised at the ease with which I found a few good (good = decent PR) sites to get links on.

Just submit it to four or five category-specific directories instead. You don't even need big well known ones--small sites run by people obsessed with the category are the ones to look for. Those tend to get high rank since a lot of webmasters will link back to them. Then some of their PR comes to you, of course...

Don't just stick with Zeal and the other well-known multi-category directories (although it's good to hit those too). Very narrow niche directories work well, and usually approve fast.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Jimbo, you're saying that a *meta* did this though?

I've had a similar thing happen to me, there were two possible cats for me to submit to, one of which is one I edited, so I chose the cat I *didn't* edit for the submission <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly correct, Dynamoo.

There are 4-5 categories that would be very appropriate, and I edit one. But I sent it to one I have no priveledges, figuring it was a shoe-in (but if it took a long time for someone to get to it, then i would put it elsewhere).

It never occured to me that someone would red-flag it like this.

But in hindsight, the advertiser does have a bad reputation for affiliate sites that spam and basically mirror their content (I've rejected some of them myself because they just take a datafeed without providing any unique content whatsoever).

For that reason, I think the meta rejected it without even attempting to determine if it was my own content or the advertiser's (probably too busy clearing out all the greens, which points out how badly they need more good, active editors).

So anyways, now I am torn between two choices: 1) scrap the domain and register a new one so that I can submit it elsewhere in the directory, or 2) forget ODP and gain reach and PR only through other directories and links as markymark and Leader suggest (by the way, thanks for the advice).

At this point I am waiting to see if the meta will respond to my plea for a reconsideration, but also trying to keep a low profile (I've seen these things blow up in lower-editors' faces a number of times, it is quite a cynical environment inside DMOZ).

Again, the ODP Public Forum is a good place to raise specific submission issues, because you'll typically get a reply from a meta or other senior editor and because it's public, you WILL normally get a reply.

Leader is right (again!).. an ODP listed site is a valuable part of your network.. you can have just a pure content site if you wish that generates no actual income whatsoever, but will act as an attractor for PageRank which you can then pass down the line to your affiliate sites.

________

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Leader is right (again!).. an ODP listed site is a valuable part of your network.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't take all the credit for that one. A lot of people have mentioned it (usually to me when I make remarks about c*ntent not being profitable enough ).

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

I have my eye on a vacant (non-commercial) category, any tips about getting accepted as editor.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread