Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Well it looks like one of my domains now has a PR0. Is this a penalty and if so where does google list the reasons for such a penalty.

To be honest between this and the problem I am having with other sites (listed in this thread http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=5066012291 ) makes me wonder if it is a waste of time focusing too heavily on Google traffic.

Tony Felice

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Only comes from trying some sure fire way to get listed in 5000 SE's for 29.95. Spamming the SE's with 2 month old tricks generate PRO ratings which are very hard to overcome.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

ABW Ambassador
    PR0 isn't always a penalty, no. If you have a page several levels down from your home page, it could have PR0 - meaning that the page has a PR of less than 1. This is not a penalty.

If the PR0 is on your homepage, then that is likely to be a penalty - usually caused by excessive crosslinking of domains.

If you PM me your URL, I will take a look if you like.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

markymark - By crosslinking do you mean that since I link my other websites from this one site I am being penalized for that?

Tony Felice

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

Thanks for the info.

I feel like I have millions of questions.

Here I'd like to ask few.

1. If everything stays the same with my web pages, will I ever get more traffic in the future? Does time itself boost traffic?

2. I've heard some of the sites have more than 100,000 hits per day. If that is true, how could they ever get that much traffic? Does time play an important role?

3. What might be the most important things that I have to do in order to get huge traffic?

I know these are big questions. I'm only seeking for some opinions (tips would be great).

Thanks

snakebaby

Tony...If you have a Grey Bar with PR 0 in the Google Toolbar then its not a penality...its just a glitch in the google side or your server is down when googlebot visited you...you can expect your PR back in the next update.

But if the PR 0 is a whitebar then you have recieved the ultimate google penality...i will remove all crosslinking and anyother 20th century tricks like hidden text/link etc ...and i will just keep that site in the side and startover with a new domain

"The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their Dreams."

It is a whitebar, but I didn't try any of the white text, hidden stuff, etc. Did not use any FFA's or link farms, etc. The site just has some web resources on it and I use it for holding pages that I direct PPC traffic to as well.

I read up on crosslinking here, frankly I think it's a silly reason to drop my site to zero since all I have done is link to 4 other sites that I own on a links page.

Tony Felice

If you want let me know the site ...i can give it a look and try to find the reason for the PR 0

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    I had a pr0 site last update, the site was indexed by google but had no backlinks.

I linked the site from my other sites, now the site is a PR5, so it is possible that it is not a penalty but google just crawled it, indexed it, but could not find any back links.

Snakebody,

I'll answer your questions based on my own experience.

(1) Does time itself boost traffic?

Typically no. PRs of sites linking to you may go up and down, changing your own PR, but if you are doing nothing to get more sites to link to you or optimize your pages for keyword placement, I don't see your SERP rankings going up and therefore no increase in traffic.

(2) Some of the sites have more than 100,000 hits per day. If that is true, how could they ever get that much traffic?

Yes this is true. I have only one site, and put all my work into it. It has a PR of 7 and receives over 100,000 pageviews per day. I get about 5,000 new users to my site per day from Search Engine results. The key however, is in getting a large percentage of these new vistiors to become frequent visitors. This comes from CONTENT, CONTENT, CONTENT. I am surprise by how many sites here simply send visitors to merchant sites and never attempt to get visitors to come back to their own site in the future. A site newletter with an easy to use subcription script is a must (I have 20,000 active subscribers to my newsletter) and such items as discussion boards, merchant coupons, etc. will increase the likelihood of return visits. Not only does this increase your traffic but gives you the piece of mind that even if your site were to drop off the Search Engines totally you would still have a customer base to work with.

(3) What might be the most important things that I have to do in order to get huge traffic?

1. I think it all begins with CONTENT. If you can show high PR sites that you have a large user base of visitiors interested in their products/services then it is very easy to get these sites to partner with you and share links. I simply use my newsletter subscription base and their demographic information to get these type of links. Also, as mentioned above, content means return visits, which means increase traffic.

(2) Optimize your SERP rankings. I use Wordtracker (www.wordtracker.com). It allows me to see what keywords are being searched and how often. It also provides you with related keywords to those you enter in. Pick keywords with popularity that you can compete with. If your PR is 5 you would not want try to get high SERP with "electronics" but maybe "discount consumer electronics".

(3) Keep you visitors happy. Make your site easy to use, provide content and encourage users to return. Develop a newsletter they want to read with information they can use. Many time your articles may get reprinted on other sites, increasing your traffic even more.

I hope this helps.

AffiliateBuddha , If a Site is PR 0 from the begining then its because the site dont have any backlinks...but if it had some PR and suddely lossed it after a update with a all white bar then its the Penality.

When the site lossed its PR and show a Grey Bar then it may be because googlebot had problems with crawling the site or some sort of technical glitch.

This is the observed phenomenon in many many cases ....tony ,its better to remove whatever you think offended google and wait for the next update...and i will start developing a new domain .

If the PR didnt change after the next update then i have this new site ...if the PR returns then i now have two nice sites with good PR ...

[This message was edited by rsgopi on January 05, 2003 at 11:03 AM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fcol:

(3) What might be the most important things that I have to do in order to get huge traffic?

1. I think it all begins with CONTENT.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, content may bring repeat visitors, but I think most abw members would strongly disagree that this is the only way to go to make it in AM.

But I'm not going to elaborate, I'm just going to lurk around here until Leader comes by and sweeps us all away once more with her content vs adcopy wisdom.

Tony,
    Linking to 4 domains will not get you a penalty, even if you linked those 4 back to the first domain. To low number of links. If you are clean for other things, this is a mystery. A quick tip: Are you linking to other domains not owned by you, and are any of those penalized?

-- Less is more --

fcol , content will bring repeat visitors and your visitor base will increase cumulatively...but it will be profitable if you are selling impression based advertisements or something similar

In AM sites visitors coming thro SERPS comes for a single purpose ...to buy widget , and next time he wants the same widget he will go directly to the merchant or search again in google...repeat visitors is good if your site is something like a Price comparison engine ...

fcol, thanks a lot for your input.

At the same time, I feel worse after reading what you said because I immdiately lost a lot hope and confidence.

I came up with couple of more questions and hope you or someone else have the answers for them.

1. I understand good content will help bringing in more traffic in terms of gettinng more newsletter subscribers and repeated customers. But what brings me the initial traffic? Is it pretty much about proper titles and keywords?

2. I have noticed that I'm not ranked as well or can't even find my page under certain keywords even I have related keywords as part of my title and description, while some other sites get ranked on the top even they don't have such keywords as part of the page title. If I look at their content, I don't see any noticeble difference than what I have done. This observation confused me and left me wondering here. My question is how do some sites get ranked much higher when we have very similar site and content to offer to our visitors?

3. Another maze: Why a site with title 'book store' ranked in front of me under keyword like 'auto store' when I have 'auto store' as part of my title? (this is just an example). It doesn't seems to be related to a site content at all. What factor kicks in in such scenario?

I must have tons of other questions that I don't even know where to start to ask. I greatly appreciate any further information or ideas. It has been so frustrating for the past 9 -10 months. I started my web site with 0 knowledge about search engines and 0 experience in web development. I had to learn everything on my own from ground zero. I spent 5 or 6 months for the work that could have been accomplished within one month. Sometimes I feel like crying when I dont' know what to do to get more traffic, especially the traffic I'm getting is far not equal to the time and effort I put in to my web site. I have two little kids (2 and 4 year old) that I have to take care of. I dont' get much sleep at all. It is the worst thing that can happen to a woman.

Sorry for the rambling. I just suddenly feel like saying these again.

Looking forward to hearing something from you guys.

Best

snakebaby

snakebaby , Learning SE's take time...Visit various search engine forrums , dig down the posts and try to read as much as possible.

My own favourite is webmasterworld.com....
    Start from this Google knowledgebase thread
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/2829.htm

Ready to spend 1- 2 hours for reading the thread i mentioned above...if possible take a printout

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by snakebaby:
    fcol, thanks a lot for your input.

At the same time, I feel worse after reading what you said because I immdiately lost a lot hope and confidence.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And this is exactly the reason why I hinted that some of us think differently. Yes, fcol does have valid points - steady traffic and independence from search engines is the best position a webmaster cab be in - however, it takes IMO 2-3 years to develop such a site and get that kind of traffic, and it takes more work than imagineable.

It's not worth it, Also, content sites don't generate much sales. It takes a lot more visitors to make one sale than you need running a sale site or a great directory.

J,
    There are many ways to make money on the net, and this way is not your way, and I don't think it's mine neither. I dug out my very first post here at abw (it's about content and types of sites), and the answers I got from the people here was very very helpful to me back then. I suggest you read it
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=5086045511

I will touch some of your other questions in the other thread you started:
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=8046002491

-- Less is more --

Thanks all for the insight I think I may see where the problem is now in that the first month it was indexed I had a PR4 which if I remember is the default PR for allsites the first time in the index. This month I have the PR0 but not because of anything as a penalty but more because I really don't have the site linked anywhere other than from my own sites (which are all still new as well)

No worries I guess. I really need to remove the PR display from my google toolbar and just worry about doing the type of marketing I have been doing successfully for 5 years now. Thanks again to all for the help

Tony Felice

Its only some simple strategies for google.

1, Decide on the Keywords you want to target using tools like wordtracker, Overture and Google adwords.

2, Develop a crawalable site with each webpage targetting 1 or 2 kw phrases , not more...dont worry much about kw density. A density of 10%-15% is fine.Put the kw phrases in title , h1 tags etc.

3,Now is the hardest part ...try to get as many inbound links as possible with the Kw's in the anchor text...try to get into Dmoz (if possible !!) and other directories.

4, Never ever involve in dirty tricks like hidden text/links , FFA etc

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Alert--ebook sized post! Those with short attention spans be warned!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> fcol, thanks a lot for your input.

At the same time, I feel worse after reading what you said because I immdiately lost a lot hope and confidence. ~Snakebaby<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geesh, I sleep at a reasonable time (ie, DAY), and wake up to find hopelessness and nonconfidence!

Cheer up. Way up! Here's the *rest* of the story.

Sure, fcol's way will bring you tons of traffic. C*ntent does that. But not all traffic is created equal! And most content-driven traffic is nonbuying trash. Ask yourself this--does it really matter if a bunch of moochers who hardly buy sheet and aren't willing to go to the library, come to your site?

Didn't think so...

Would you like those moocher-loiterers to keep coming and coming, but still not buy much, eating up your time and bandwidth for peanuts?

Didn't think so for that, either!

So don't worry about c*ntent. It's good for the ego ("Wow, all these people came to read what *I* said! Cool!"), but not much good for the wallet. There's a couple of exceptions to any rule, this one included, but c*ntent is a hard way to try to make money with a site. It's so much harder to make money with c*ntent than with regular sales pages that I treat it like a swear word! As for making money with it per-impression, the CPM figures that c*ntent-site people get excited about are frankly tinier than peanuts. I mean, really--$1 or $2 CPM and many of them are wowed! A revenue site (with per-sale links) can get the equivalent of $11 [Eleven Dollars] CPM and up!

Do you want $1 CPM instead of $11? Didn't think so.

Now. On a real Revenue Site (dedicated to selling stuff, not being a library, nor a theater, nor a virtual community), you do NOT need such oceans of traffic to make a decent amount of money. Decent = a living!

Build sales pages dedicated to things people are already looking for, but in markets that aren't saturated. I mean, forget the books, CDs, DVDs, and that kind of stuff (until you have a very solid revenue base and can afford to mess around with categories just for the "challenge" of it). USE WORDTRACKER and find categories where people are looking for things that every webmaster and his sister AREN'T already promoting. Find a good (good: they know how to cut checks and not reverse) merchant for the items and promote them.

One page promoting a product like this might get a few thousand hits/month. By itself, a single page is nothing spectacular in terms of TRAFFIC, but if you get the right products, it can be GREAT where it counts: REVENUE!

But add a lot of these pages together, and get them ranked well in the SEs, and one day you will wake up to find that your site has lots of TRAFFIC, almost by default. It's simply the cumulative effect of lots of single revenue pages. Kind of like how a subdivision usually only has a few cars on the road at once, but once the cars are all out on the main road, you get a "rush" hour.

Or you can make lots of small revenue sites. Just like with single pages, the power is in the cumulative effect.

And I can say with 100% certainty, that you do NOT need any 100,000 page views/day to make PLENTY of money, if you do it right. Not that lots of traffic is bad, but you will have a lot more confidence if you remember to distinguish what's good for the ego (piles of traffic) from what's good for the wallet (ready buyers--the other traffic can buzz off!)!

If a revenue site (or collection of sites, combined) got 100,000 visitors a day, these things would also hold true:

Those visitors would ALL be interested in BUYING at least one item on the site, at the time they showed up.

Those Buyers would NOT be there to blab on forums, or mooch info that's at the library, or confuse the store with some show.

Since the traffic would be BUYERS and not loiterers and moochers, the owner of the revenue site(s) would be RICH beyond most people's imagining!

All of this is to say, you don't need boatloads of traffic to make decent money. You need QUALITY traffic that's READY TO BUY what you're pushing! Better to have 10,000 buyers a month, than a million loiterers.

As for having your site remembered (as insurance against SE misfortune)--if a million people remember your site as a place to get FREE info and/or entertainment, but nobody remembers it as a place to BUY stuff (or find merchants), it isn't going to help your wallet anyway! Branding your site as anything but a place for people to start shopping is counterproductive to making money. You need BUYERS to remember your site, and they need to remember your site as a site to find links to BUY things from--not as the place to get info (or "community", or any other thing like that) FREE.

Definition: A Revenue Site is a site dedicated to selling. Not education or entertainment--SELLING. It features products, and the text that's on it is there to support the purpose of SELLING and nothing but. In other words, a Revenue Site is a store. At an affiliate revenue site, the "checkout" is on the merchant's site. But it's still basically a store, a display for a store.

Half of this post can be stated as REVENUE IS KING. People hear this Nonsense "c*ntent is king" stuff and believe it! But THIS IS BUSINESS above all else. And REVENUE is the King of All Business. Businesses that forget it are soon OUT of business!

Oh--to get some traffic to the Revenue Pages, there are plenty of SEO tips in this thread and others in the Search Engine Insight forum. And remember that while it's "easier" to get links to c*ntent--it's NOT impossible to get links to sales pages. Ask people who are in similar, but not directly competing, categories if you want to go for the link trades. No good point in promoting direct competitors...

Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> until Leader comes by and sweeps us all away once more with her content vs adcopy wisdom. ~Cellophane <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I almost forgot: DISCLAIMER, 2 or 3 people here actually make real money off a c*ntent site. But except for those rare cases, my anti-c*ntent commentary remains!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    yep. I agree with Leader one hundred percent!

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

ABW Ambassador
    I thought the question was about how to get tons of traffic, not how to make a lot of money in affiliate marketing.

I got a PR0 on one of my sites Last January. I had been doing alot of crosslinking and was linking directly to pages that linked to my site (ie linking to links pages on other sites to make sure google would know about all the sites that linked to my site - bad idea).
    I removed the links to links pages and reduced some of the cross linking and in 3 months the PR0 was lifted. Not sure exactly what caused the PR0, but those are the changes I made.

Thanks a lot everyone.

I'm in the process of emailing all sites for making changes to my site title.

Then I found one of the links on my link page has pr of 0 which really surprised me.

The link exchange request was made by the owner of this site back to last June. This site looks pretty neat, but how could it only have pr 0 after all these months? I have to assume this is the PR0 you are talking about? If this is true, then my site might have been penalized because of this link?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

snakebaby

Found a site owner made link exchange request back to last August, but this site is not ranked by google at this point.

I don't understand why. Should I keep this site or drop it? Thanks for any advice.

snakebaby

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast