Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How much would a professional SEO charge to optimize a 30 page ebuisness site? Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jb:
    How much would a professional SEO charge to optimize a 30 page ebuisness site? Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on what you are promoting. If it is very competitive, it might be more expensive. I suspect you could find a competent professional to help you for a couple thousand dollars.

ABW Ambassador
    Save your money and buy wordtracker http://www.wordtracker.com and search for search engine optimization in Google and read. Also read some past posts here and at http://www.webmasterworld.com
    I think anybody can learn SEO on their own and don't believe in professional SEO. Anything they know is out there for you to learn.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Let me put it to you this way...

I've seen professional SEO companies charge a LOT. Let's say you want to optimize 3 key phrases per page across 30 pages. That's 90 keyphrases.

I've seen SEO companies, big ones, charge over 20,000 for that.

Now, you can get better deals than that, or you can learn it yourself if you have time to spare.

I suggest you ask markymark to give you an estimate.

"I want to make you more money with a professional and low cost web design. Let's chat."

ABW Ambassador
    TrustNo1 said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think anybody can learn SEO on their own and don't believe in professional SEO.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone can learn brain surgery on their own, too. Doesn't mean they'll be any good at it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Anything they know is out there for you to learn. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ho, ho, ho....I can say categorically that I know things about SEO that have never been posted on any forum and are never likely to be. This is true for most professional SEOs.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markymark:
    I can say categorically that I know things about SEO that have never been posted on any forum and are never likely to be.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just tell me then.

Go on.

Go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on ...

mmmmh - it works when my kids try it on me.

Are you Crazy?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    What do you you do when a SEO firm gets you banned from Google with spamming tactics? It is common to find bad apples in the fly by night traffic generation and SEO business.

Here's what I's recommend you do. W write to the following two Google email addresses below. I would be totally honest with Google. I would tell them that you used a particular SEO company (name the company), and person that you trusted to take care of your search engine optimization needs, not knowing that they were using strategies that could get a site banned. This honesty might give you brownie points, since you're actually reporting a spammer.

Tell them that after you realized they were using unsavory Webmaster tactics, you "fired" the SEO firm and have reported them to the Federal Trade Commission, as stated on Google's Web site (see below in answer to another one of your questions).

Tell them that you've cleaned up your pages, and to the best of your knowledge, you're not doing anything wrong or anything that goes against Google's Terms of Service (http://www.google.com/terms_of_service.html) or their Guidelines (http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html).

Ask them to please let you know if there's anything else you can do to get back in Google, and ask if they'll consider adding your site back in during their next spider run. Obviously, give them your URL.

Be HUMBLE. Be HONEST. I would send the email to both of the email addresses below:

help@google.com

spamreport@google.com

You can also write to the email address on the email that Google sent you, if it's different than the above.

Again, this is going to take a while. My recommendation is to write to them now, and then wait until after the Google Dance the first of February, if you haven't gotten back in the index by then. At that point, write to them again. Apologize for being so persistent, but explain that the mistakes made by your old SEO firm are costing your company a lot of money, and you want to do everything you can to rectify the situation and get listed once again in the Google index as soon as possible.

Something else to try -- purchase some AdWords. When talking to your AdWord rep, explain the problem you're having, and see if they have an insider's view into what you can do to get back in the index. PAYING for keywords just might help.

You can also try posting a notice on their forum:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=go...upport.general

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

I agree with TrustNo1. Try WordTracker first (there is a free trial) and save your money. Choose searches in the 20-30 search range to begin with and check your results. You will probably be presently surprised. then work on your PR and then select more competitive keywords.

ABW Ambassador
    MarkyMark
    "Anyone can learn brain surgery on their own, too. Doesn't mean they'll be any good at it"

I understand you making this statement because this is what you do for a living, but anybody can learn it. Comparing brain surgery to SEO is a big reach. When i first started i read everything and get great rankings. The info is out there.

"Ho, ho, ho....I can say categorically that I know things about SEO that have never been posted on any forum and are never likely to be. This is true for most professional SEOs."

I doubt that, and know that you made this statement because this is your living and some people need this because they have no clue or are just starting out. And some would find your service useful. But the info is out there. There are forums, clubs, websites, etc dedicated to this. Hell, there is info on hacking, how to make bombs, etc, i think there is info on how to get good rankings in the search engines. Google news at http://www.webmasterworld.com is a great resource. I don't know how "Professional SEOs" charge their clients, what the rates are, but if they are in fact professional SEOs they wouldn't charge the client unless they got good rankings.
    I also don't think there is such a thing as a professional SEO for the simple fact algos change monthly, most of the time just slightly.
    There is no secret that only professional seos know. Unless you work for a search engine and are in charge of the algo. This is the internet. EVERYTHING is out there. You just need to do put the work in and do the research.

Well Trust, I think everyone thinks they know SEO, only some really know it. MarkyMark has done work for me, I got good rankings, it has already paid for itself, and I continue to get good rankings. Sure everything is on the internet, but any joe blow can post to a message board with his theories. Anyway, all I got to say is take everything with a grain of salt.

Looks interesting .... tick tick

Now, if mark wants to answer and prove you wrong, then he has to REVEAL all his secrets! Excellent strategy

Guess I'm going to lurk here ...

Anyway, I'm sure there is stuff only professional SEOs knows about. You only have to ask yourself some smart questions, then search google for the answer. If no answer can be found, well then it's a secret

-- Less is more --

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    It's all fine and good to tell someone to learn, but that person must understand that they should start reading now, and finish 6 months later to learn the "business".

Then they should spend another 6 months actually doing it, monitoring results, seeing what works, what doesn't, etc..

So in essence, it's almost a year later and you're now an SEO professional. Meanwhile, you could have just paid a professional a year ago and you would have seen results and make money a long time ago.

It's not that easy. Professional SEO's have lots of knowledge, lots of experiences, successes, failures.

Summary: It can be learned, just like rocket science, just not overnight.

"I want to make you more money with a professional and low cost web design. Let's chat."

You can do a lot of things on your own; from using your own computer as server to not to pay for hosting, writing your own scripts for visitors tracking, banner rotating ... and more.

But, sometimes outsourcing, leaving to a professional, is better, more profitable and brings a peace of mind.

Not everybody has time and resources to devote it to learn SEO, but if you're an affiliate, your main job is getting good renkings at SEs so you gotta do, what you gotta do.

TrustNo1 and markymark are both right.

You can learn a lot about seo but there's good chance that a pro is going to know a bit more than someone who reads the same information that is available to everyone in a forum or article.

Some seo professionals have se insiders, know the exact way an se works, have a lot of experience, won't use the same tactics everyone else is using, etc, etc. That's what you pay for.

On the other hand, by reading all the information available in said posts and articles you can get a good understanding of seo and it can work well for your situation.

Just my 2.43 cents.

---------------------------------------------
    Webmaster Resources | Web Hosting Plans

ABW Ambassador
    If they know how to get good rankings without getting penalized, then it might be worth it to avoid costly mistakes.

And if they know how to get a PR0 site back into good standing, then they are real gems (haven't come across one who could do that yet though).

I found it real easy to get top 10 rankings on top keywords like 'credit cards'. But keeping them there was the problem. As soon as I get that worked out, I guess I will be an SEO.

Hmmn - interesting discussion. Anytime my employees are on the opposite side of the debate I like to sometimes set up a freindly competition.

TrustNO1 vs MarkyMark - each must get a free geocities domain (we have to make it real tuff) then we give them 5 keywords and 1 month to get the best rankings on say Google for the keywords. The winner will be known from that day forward as MASTER SEO (no KungFu puns please)

I are a professional

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fcol:
    TrustNO1 vs MarkyMark - each must get a free geocities domain (we have to make it real tuff) then we give them 5 keywords and 1 month to get the best rankings on say Google for the keywords. The winner will be known from that day forward as MASTER SEO (no KungFu puns please) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not hard to get good rankings with Geocities, if you have a link from DMOZ.

As an audience member, do we get to pick keyphrases?
    My vote is for "Wheat Beer Lover"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>TrustNO1 vs MarkyMark - each must get a free geocities domain (we have to make it real tuff) then we give them 5 keywords and 1 month to get the best rankings on say Google for the keywords. The winner will be known from that day forward as MASTER SEO (no KungFu puns please)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's not a bad idea.
    I think it would be fun to have a sitewide AbestWeb SEO contest. We could pick some good keywords to target like "Kazaa" or "eBates" and we could all pitch in with prizes for the winners.

That way we'd be fighting parasiteware and having fun all at the same time.

-Joey

ABW Ambassador
    MarkyMark said:

"Ho, ho, ho....I can say categorically that I know things about SEO that have never been posted on any forum and are never likely to be. This is true for most professional SEOs."

Ok, show me. I checked your site, PR4.
    Looked over to find what you were optimizing for and found 3 terms i think you were shooting for. Correct me if i'm wrong. Checked in Google.

uk search engine optimisation Result 31 (24 UK Google)
    Search Engine Optimisation Services Result 42 (21 UK Google)
    search engine positioning services Result 19 (#1 Google UK)

I'm just posting this because i made a simple comment about anybody can learn this and you came back saying "Anyone can learn brain surgery on their own, too. Doesn't mean they'll be any good at it" and you said "I know things about SEO that have never been posted on any forum and are never likely to be"

Well prove it to me by getting your page rank higher than a 4 and get higher up in the rankings for the terms you were optimizing for.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

ABW Ambassador
    If there is a contest (and there should be), I would like for it to involve more than one search engine.

Can we add in Inktomi, and maybe a third? Then there could be three prizes (each engine) and a grand prize (best overall).

Or better yet, the winner is the one who gets the most free clicks from all the search engines. - based on the search terms. Not sure how to judge it, though. -- Can you get server logs from geocities?

ABW Ambassador
    TrustNo1,

What annoyed me was not that you said this stuff could be learnt. Of course, it can. What I was annoyed about was the 'anybody' bit at the beginning. The implication seemed to be that 'any fool' can learn SEO and that it is easy.

Secondly, I don't really need to justify myself, my reputation or my rankings to you or anybody else. As soon as my clients (most of whom are neither newbies to the web or just starting out) tell me I'm doing a bad job, then I'll listen. I have nothing to prove to you.

I still maintain that I know things about SEO that have never been posted on any forum. I'm not by any means trying to say that no-one else knows this stuff - I'm not that arrogant. It's just that it doesn't get into public forums.

Private forums, however, are a different matter.

Trouble is, of course, I either tell you what they are or come across like there's nothing to tell. I'll have to choose the second option and damn the torpedos.

As for an SEO competition - I'll pass on that too. I don't have enough time to maintain my own site let alone do something like that.

However, as you seem so fascinate by where I am ranking and my PR, here's a few more rankings to add to your list:

search engine positioning #3 (Google UK)
    search engine optimisation #7 (Lycos.com)
    uk search engine positioning #2 (msn.com)
    search engine positioning #6 (Altavista UK)
    search engine positioning services #5 (msn.com)
    search engine optimisation services #14 (msn.com)
    website ranking #10 (Google.com)
    website ranking #1 (Google UK)
    uk search engine positioning #2 (Google.com)
    website ranking #3 (msn.com)
    uk search engine optimisation #11 (msn.com)

It's quite a competitive field - ranking on SEO related terms you know. I understand there's a few SEOs doing it.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1:
    Ok, show me. I checked your site, PR4.
    Looked over to find what you were optimizing for and found 3 terms i think you were shooting for.
    Well prove it to me by getting your page rank higher than a 4 and get higher up in the rankings for the terms you were optimizing for.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TrustNo1,
    Now you are making a fool of yourself (just my humble opinion). You should have more to bring to the table than this to take on a guy like markymark. Why don't you tell us what you have learned instead?

No professional SEO would give away his secrets by putting them on his own pages. If you had known anything about consulting, you would know that business comes from word of mouth. Only bad SEOs would use the engines to try to get traffic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    If there is a contest (and there should be)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A contest would be cool, but it would also mean giving away your sites, since we have to link from somewhere to get good rankings. Hate to be the geek, but I don't think many of us would do that.

-- Less is more --

Oh boy! What have I started?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast