ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Well, not really a rant. Does anyone else find it almost completely worthless to spend the Inktomi inclusion as I do?

Believe me, I've tried, probably spent close to $1000 or more for various clients sites over the last 6 months, so I have a lot of pages in there. What I'm seeing, is overall, about a 4% share of my traffic coming from them, which is crap.

Now, what really cheeses me off is that if you do a search on MSN, you get

1. Featured Sites (Usually 4 of them)
    2. Sponsored Sites (3 of them)

Then....way down the page,

3. Web Directory Sites (Inktomi submitted sites)

Now, since the first 7 links are PPC of some sort, they are going to be pretty gosh darn relevant to the searcher, so the chances of that user going past #7 is even less and less.

They NEED to move the Featured and sponsored sites to the right, left or wherever, just not above the directory listings. If they don't do this, it's silly for me to keep paying them, right?

"I want to make you more money with a professional and low cost web design. Let's chat."

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    It seems to be hit and miss with me. Some sites hit like maniacs and others, well, I'm everaging $1/hit to be listed with them, lol.

"No day is so bad, it can't be fixed with a nap." - Carrie Snow

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Web Directory Sites (Inktomi submitted sites) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AM - Actually, the "directory sites" are Looksmart listing. Inktomi listings are the "web pages" listings.

This can present a problem depending on what market you are targetting. Inktomi has been a godsend for me, but here is a typical scenario in relation to the directory listings:

Submitted several diamond jewelry sites to Inktomi, and ranked in the top 1 to 5 listings for many desirable terms. BUT....the Looksmart listings for those particular terms were 14 pages deep. So the #1 Ink listing may as well have been #99999.

Fortunately they let you switch the spiders over to another url if you are not pleased with the results you get from the first one

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> it's silly for me to keep paying them, right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are targeting terms where there are many Looksmart listings, right. Stop paying, as you'll always be buried beneath Looksmart.

But if you target terms where the "web pages" section begins on the first page of returned results, then you will benefit from the quality traffic that MSN provides.

I would trade 100 Yahoos for 6 or 7 MSN users any day.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

[This message was edited by 14K_Deelz on January 15, 2003 at 06:03 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I don't find it worthless, no. Once I know what terms I am optimising for, I always check msn.com to see which terms can get on the first page via Inktomi. Then I use paid inclusion for those pages and voila......

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Mark said.

I've found that in the best of circumstances (No or few directory listings and great Inktomi rank, meaning I'm right near the top), Inktomi sends about 1/4 the traffic that a corresponding Google listing will. For a more popular category, that's not bad, for $25/year!

For not-too-popular categories (popular being that people search for the term--NOT that lots of webmasters know about it ), or ones where the Ink listings are buried under lots of directory listings, it's indeed a waste of time.

(For those that don't know, the $25 assumes that you have more than one dom in Ink.)

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Markymark & Leader, however

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(For those that don't know, the $25 assumes that you have more than one dom in Ink.)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beleive you can only have one domain listed, but $25 is for second, third etc pages. First page costs something like $39.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

I made the mistake of splurging on Ink listings only to find that I can't get all of them to generate hits. Doh.

The softly-softly approach is better.. try it on the page, see if it works, if not move on unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    You learn something new every day. Thanks everyone.

I still think they stink though!

"I want to make you more money with a professional and low cost web design. Let's chat."

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread