All my pages are still in Google but my traffic has decreased over 60%. I made zero changes to any of them.
    I've been in the game about a year and use free hosting services until I get my cash flow to the point I can afford paid domains and hosting.
    All my pages were ranked in the top ten for lots of keywords
    until the last dance now most of them are down the tubes.
    Please tell me if Google penalizes web pages from free hosts.
    Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    Free hosts can be a haven for spammers = "bad neighborhoods"

Don't participate in link schemes designed to increase your site's ranking or PageRank. In particular, avoid links to web spammers or "bad neighborhoods" on the web as your own ranking may be affected adversely by those links.

http://www.google.com/webmasters/gui...s.html#quality

ABW Ambassador
    You can't afford $6-15 a month? You must not be serious about this...

Free site = *I* wouldn't visit it...

Just my opinon, not trying to be an ass

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

You don't have to try.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

El Jefe

Look around carefully for paid hosting. There are some good hosting sites that don't cost an arm and a leg. I say look carefully because there are some scammers out there.

My last site is costing me $30 a year including the domain name. There are many good ones costing less than $100 a year. Pay by the year is cheapest way to go. Quarterly costs a little more and monthly costs the most.

If you get a combination domain and hosting package, be sure the domain name is registered to you. This is so that if you are not satisfied with the host, you can move the domain to another host.

Hope this helps.

Gene
    TCS

It's impossible to say why your pages have dropped. You may have relied to much on one ranking factor and been hit by a small algo change. You may have been part of something Google doesn't like, for instance links have been identified as guestbook signings and are no longer counted for. The first thing I would have done is to check the PR of my pages, and the PR of the pages linking to me. Some also swear by refreshing the pages regularly, don't know if that helps.

When it comes to hosting, several very successful affiliates started out with a free host. The biggest problem with them is that sometimes you cannot use htaccess. This means that if you decide to move the pages later on, you will have to use a "click here" link to forward googlebot, and the visitors, to the new host, instead of a 301 redirect in the htaccess file. You will then loose 10-20% of your PR (the dampening factor).

Choosing a host is usually about money vs quality. But you can get decent hosting for as low as $3 per month, where you can host multiple domains in one single account. Infodoma.com is one option. By looking through old posts you will find several recommendations.

-- Less is more --

ABW Ambassador
    Haven't been able to access infodoma or my site hosted by them for most of the day (not the first time this happened either, and I 've only had hosting there for a few months). If Google can't access the site, it is not worth the savings.

I have two accounts on two servers at Infodoma. Doing a ping I see the Berlin Server is up and running with no access problem, however Geneva is down.

Doing a traceroute on a domain on Geneva I see an early node down on att.net. So this has nothing to do with Infodoma, however, you could visit their forum to get an update.

I have had no problems with them whatsoever the time I've been with them, except for the announced downtime when they got rid of Zurich a month ago due to overload.

Do a traceroute, then blame the host.

-- Less is more --

ABW Ambassador
    Always blame Zain. It's my new motto, if only because it is a near rhyme. Infodoma are an excellent host and they are pretty much always on top of things. They have experienced some growing pains in the last few months and I still think they need to increase their prices in order to maintain the level of service.

Dunno what this has got to do with search engines, though.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do a traceroute, then blame the host. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not blaming anybody.

But if the site is inaccessible to users, I assume Google can't find it either. If Google does a tracert and finds a node is down, then I guess it could make a note of it and try again later.

Their support is very responsive, especially for the price, but they admittedly put us on a server with "problems" (from the forum and emails it seems like they knew there were problems at the time we signed up).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    If Google does a tracert and finds a node is down, then I guess it could make a note of it and try again later.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quick reply: No

If the site is down the site is not in the next index.

As mark said, infodoma is an excellent host, but remember: No host on earth can deliever 100% uptime (if they claim they can they lie), and hosts have no influence over networks and nodes they are connected to.

-- Less is more --

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the replies on SEO. There has been a lot of great information going back and forth lately (there have been times when it is just us novices giving each other bad advice).

As for infodoma, I think they are a good host (I am still using them afterall, and I switch hosts in a hurry when things look bad). The customer service is superb. I just couldn't recommend them until I am 100% satisfied.

ABW Ambassador

Thank you webmisstress

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread