I'd be interested to hear people's views on the use of applications like SearchEngineCloaker, from the point of view of ethics, dangers, effectiveness...
    I've designed a commercial website and am now faced with learning how to generate traffic.
    In the long term that means learning the black art of SEO, and learning that is part of the appeal of this venture.
    However, I am not averse to giving myself a kick start if a useful tool is available.
    I guess it's a tool like any other, which can be used or misused. So long as it isn't used to actively deceive people, I don't have a problem with fooling spiders...
    If I'm way off the mark, please set me straight on this.

Radegast

ABW Ambassador
    You may wish to spend some time here and ask some questions.

Also be prepared to get turned in by your competition sooner or later. Have other domains ready to go or in the pipeline.

2c

As i always say cloaking is not worth the risk...google ranking algorithum does not consider meta tags for most part and KW % is not that big of a factor...its not like the bad old days where an competitor can steal your ranks by just copying your meta tags and exact kw % ....

So there is no need to use cloaking to prevent your competitors from decrypting your SE secrets...

Dont do anything that will give a chance to your competitor to report you ...that includes cloaking , sneeky redirects ,hidden links , extensive cross linking etc etc...

"The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their Dreams."

Thanks Adam

A quick look at that forum has certainly opened my eyes to some of the potential misuses.
    But isn't it possible that cloaking software, if used correctly, is a good thing?
    One of the biggest challenges to web designers is writing to please human readers and spiders. This is quite difficult, and is obviously a very useful skill to acquire.
    What is wrong, provided the keywords are relevant and searchers aren't being deceived, with serving up a page specially for spider fodder, and giving searchers pages written purely with them in mind? Surely, if done correctly, this is beneficial to everyone - the search engines, the searchers, the webmasters. Even preferable to 'conventional' web writing that is compromised because it has to please spiders as well as people?
    The potential misuses are obvious and I'm not in any way advocating cloaking spam or anything like that.

Radegast

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread