Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Under the deal, ValueClick will fold Commission Junction's business and customers, including its eBay part, into its own affiliate network, Be Free."

From http://news.com.com/2100-1024-5090014.html

Not sure whether that quote means that CJ will fold up or BeFree will enfold them. Either way I get a bad feeling about all this.

"Can I sell the sh*t and will the merchant pay?" ~ Leader

Affiliate Manager
    I am not sure either...but it sure does sound like it is going to be one big pain in the drain for both affiliates and merchants...

I sure hope ValueClick makes a statement about how this all will come together very soon.

To Good Health & Wellbeing,

Chet Brzezinski
    eVitamins Affiliate Manager
    http://www.eVitamins.com

The eVitamins Parasite & Scumware Policy:
    http://www.vitamins-etc.com/parasitepolicy.asp

They may blend everything into a single reporting front end, but not change tracking links. With millions of links, I can't imagine they would make everyone start changing links.

As a merchant, I'd protest loudly if they made my affiliates change links to my site.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com
    It's not just underwear, it's fun to wear!

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

They better not change the CJ interface. That would be a crime! The CJ interface is the best in the market.

huhu

ABW Ambassador
    Why did Befree cost $128 million, and CJ only $58 million?

Why did Todd post a couple months ago that CJ was busy buying up the rest of the internet?

Will we get an e-mail soon stating:
    Dear publisher, we have sold our company, tracking will not be affected ?

Will I get a new PID number out of this ...one that doesn't have its sales routed to some other affiliate's account?

Does this mean I'm going to see another eBay nickel in my reports ...even though I dropped them 10 months ago?

Will my CJ train whistle now be a coveted collector's item worth more than this month's commissions?

Will CJU now be VCU, or BFU?

Johnny Cash, had he not died:
    I hear the train a comin, comin around the track, ValueClick found out Norton blocked em, now they want their money back...

ABW Ambassador
    I do believe the two companies will be merged into a single interface so you might as well get prepared for it.

It would be absolutely rediculus for two companies to merge and then not take advantage of ways to cut costs. Cutting costs they can too especially in not having to fund developing and testing of two separate computer systems in regards to tracking and reporting. The savings here will be substantial in itself. They are going to want consolidated reported from all of their clients and will not likely just pay for additional development to fund consolidated reporting from two separate systems - that makes no sense at all!

They will likely do a study to determine which system is more scalable, add in a few other considerations and then make a decision. You can bet that "affiliate features" and ease of use will not play much into their decision too unless it's "less features = less costs in maintenance".

Dominating the affiliate playing field by way of buying out competitors doesn't provide affiliates more choice and if regulators look here at what we think - I'll note my serious concerns over the concept of "trusted third party networks" "or what I feel is gross disregard for it" in regards to BHO's who perform identity theft like operations being embraced with open arms by networks into an arena where consumers make financial transactions.

Networks nor merchants should have the right to undermine affiliate agreements and/or put sensitive consumer financial information at potential risk with parties who perform theft like operations as a normal part of their business model.

===================================
    Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

ABW Ambassador
    I copy mypost on the other cj.com/valueclick thread:

"I agree with ecom, but here in Europe, in a smaller market I see the results of such concentration. We do not have so much affiliates here and the little we have are gone, because they can not come into SE like web.de ( powered by google). If I enter perhaps a search term into web.de I get results from the first 5 resultpages which alway let me end on the same website. And for getting into this website I have to download a so called access software. You can imagine what this is. This could happen in USA too. Valueclick could buy as much domains as it will and set up millions of publisher websites which will have maximum exposure in SE and our sites disappear. So the customer thinks he has a choice, but he has not because behind these million of websites only 1 company decides what he can get or not."

carneol

merged into a single interface is good.

but the case for check cutting issue has not changed for LS and Befree. ( merge into one check )

http://8n.nu

Gosh, I wonder if Todd is going to have to find another j*b...

Andy

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    CJ just conducted a very in-depth merchant survey last week about their interface and support. I assume it was geared toward helping VC determine info that would help them decide how to move forward.

I am still shell shocked and have not quite processed all of this... but since it's going to happen, I can only hope thay will take all the good points from each network and
    combine them. (she says, wearing her rose colored glasses.)

Well we don't control anything in this, so all we can do is hope for the best.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    4LowRates ::ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds :: Roadloans :: More Soon!

ABW Ambassador
    I think everything will be ok, besides changing a bunch of links, will be business as usual. Linda you actually have a lot of say. Tell them you want this and this and that and if you don't get it, you will go to another network. The merging of networks should be better not worse for affiliates, because it its worse it will also be worse for the merchants. I think sometimes merchants forget who's actually in power, it's the merchants:

There would be no affilate marketing without merchants and affiliates.

There would be affiliate marketing without a network.

Affilate marketing has been around before the networks. Networks are supposed to be working for you, not the other way around but a lot of merchants have been conditioned otherwise. So you have a lot more say than you think.

ABW Ambassador
    Wonder if the CJ spider is going to Be-Terminated, lol.

Trust, I filled out the survey before the acquisition was announced so my feedback was different than it would be now. I kind of blazed through the interface questions. I did take a lot of time at the end where they asked for "other comments" to talk about my views on their parasite partnerships, Norton and some other concerns.

Now that I know about VC, I may try to do the survey again. It's probably cookie based though and won't let me take it twice.

FYI the survey is going through October 21st. I am sure a lot of AMs have not even bothered to fill it out. You all may want to contact CJ AMs you are close to and let them know, in this case their feedback really is important and could make a difference!

5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    4LowRates ::ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds :: Roadloans :: More Soon!

Whiznot

On the other hand the CJ spider could BeFree to roam even more sites

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    There was an affiliate survey, too. I didn't have too many gripes about the interface either.

But they sure got an earful about what I think of their latest merchants!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    CJ Survey ... just a little due diligence so those clever Value Click execs can aee what a great deal they're getting.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scott Marino:
    As a merchant, I'd protest loudly if they made my affiliates change links to my site.

You nailed that one.

I hope your protests are heard because a shakedown especially during the holiday season is bad for merchants and affiliates alike.

I find this news very depressing. I've so often thought what a class act CJ is. The interface is so well thought-out, and it's so easy to join programs and start creating links. You can even easily link directly to products in most cases. You can even join a foreign program and get paid in your own currency!

No, CJ is not perfect, but it's far better than any other affiliate network I've seen. Light-years ahead of Linkshare, for instance. It kills me to think we're going to lose all this, but I'm sure we will. Horrible, horrible news for happy CJ affiliates like me.

Does Be Free at least send out consolidated checks to affiliates? (I hope)

get paid in your own currency is no good
    -- very bad currency exchange rate by cj, much better do it myself at my local bank.

Beside i prefer to keep the money in USD for business expenses or other purposes.

i just want international direct deposit in "USD"

http://8n.nu

quote:
    I find this news very depressing. I've so often thought what a class act CJ is. The interface is so well thought-out, and it's so easy to join programs and start creating links. You can even easily link directly to products in most cases. You can even join a foreign program and get paid in your own currency!

No, CJ is not perfect, but it's far better than any other affiliate network I've seen. Light-years ahead of Linkshare, for instance. It kills me to think we're going to lose all this, but I'm sure we will. Horrible, horrible news for happy CJ affiliates like me.

I assure you that the CJ interface is not going away. It supports over 1,200 advertisers and tens of thousands of publishers. As changes do occur in the future, there will be plenty of time to adapt to them. Nothing will be occuring overnight.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd:

Hi! Glad to see you in the middle of this semi-chaos. Hope this event does not have you on pins and needles.

And here's a thought ... is it possible BeFree could actually take some pointers from CJ in regard to user interface? I've always found BF to be extremely cumbersome.

As the Chinese say, "may you live in interesting times." Indeed.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

When a network allows one affiliate partner to steal another affiliate partner's commissions, they are NOT a class act no matter how many bells and whistles they have.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    As changes do occur in the future, there will be plenty of time to adapt to them. Nothing will be occuring overnight.

Is it possible for BeFree to track the qsrv links as they are right now? It would be great if BeFree can (and decides to) do that.

Todd, thank you for the reply, and I hope you're right. CJ makes many things very easy for the small affiliate, and I hope it will stay that way.

(Especially the consolidated checks -- I just can't experiment with programs and find what works for me without this, which is why I've never done much with Linkshare.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast