Hello -

I read somewhere, that in order to have any change of getting a good ranking in google, it behooves one to submit to Yahoo! (and pay the $299 per year, non-guaranteed to show your site fee), which would then increase ones ranking in Google, and Yahoo, and multiplying the amount of hits.

Is this true? Do all serious affiliates do this with each one of their sites?

Hopefully, it will be true that one can get good hits without submitting to Yahoo - does it really make that much of a difference?

Thanks,

Danski

ABW Ambassador
    It certainly helps to be in Yahoo. as this is one of the places Google starts crawling from, plus the PageRank benefit of being in Yahoo doesn't hurt either.

But, no it's not essential and yes you can get good ranks without it. If I was you I wouldn't waste the money on it at the moment. $299 can buy a lot of visitors via PayPerClick or 20 pages submitted to Inktomi.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

I see...PayPerClick is when you bid on a search term, and everytime your page is clicked on after a person has searched on that search term, you pay a certain amount (the amount you won the bid on) is this right?

The most successfull affiliates, do they do a combination of everything, as well as registering in Yahoo?

Unless you have a near perfectly designed site and all HTML is correct to standard, you will be wasting your $299 with Yahoo. If your site does not meet their standards or is not submitted to what they consider the appropriate category, they will take your money with no listing.

Google gets listings from DMOZ. Impossible for an affiliate to get listed there. A good content site with no affiliate links can get listed at DMOZ. After listing, add a link to your affiliate site and Google will find it.

Getting listed on Google is the start. After that SEO is the primary no cost way to good SERP.

My site is not listed on Yahoo and I get top web SERPs when someone searches on Yahoo and uses the keywords that I target.

Don't depend entirely on google for your traffic. People do use other search engines and directories.

So, good traffic can be genrated by hard work and little money spent. If you have the budget, then you can explore the PPC programs.

Gene
    TCS

ABW Ambassador
    As with most things, YMMV. A yahoo submission continues to be a bargain for some, and, a bad investment for others.

The some and the others may be different sets of people now and before the change, though

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

Wow, I can't believe you didn't say something like "If you can't afford a Yahoo listing you can't possibly be serious about this business".

Joseph, maybe there is a chance you're getting newer and nicer!

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

ABW Ambassador
    I have never submitted a site to Yahoo and get good Google positions. You just need to know SEO or hire a good one.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

TCS, you indicated: "DMOZ. Impossible for an affiliate to get listed there."

I never paid much attention to DMOZ before. I just checked and my site is listed there. The site contains content but an entire affiliate mall as well and some affiliate links on the home page. I never submitted my site to them. Do they pull items from Yahoo? I keep seeing that board members say that its near impossible for affilate sites to get in - just thinking if I can determine how I got in, I could share with others.

I believe that DMOZ only lists sites that submit to them. Perhaps some of the editors that are also ABWers could enlighten us. We would all like to know a way to get listed there. A number of other SE's mine listings from DMOZ.

Gene
    TCS

ABW Ambassador
    Some dmoz editors do go looking for sites to add rather than just waiting for them to be submitted. At least I do.

It is different for all editors though. I don't get too bogged down with new submissions, so I have the time to go looking. Also, I am very familiar with most websites on the topics I edit, so I add great sites that I come across.

As for affiliate links, the official guidelines instruct editors to a) mentally block out the links and judge a site's merits free of affiliate content and b) not approve sites whose sole purpose is to direct traffic to another site.

However, there seems to be unoffical rules that some follow whereby they deny anything with an affiliate link (or at least any site with links to certain aff programs).

In other words, the treatment you get depends on the editor.

If you got in and you want to know why, you should probably contact an editor with your url.

Ok, so for a new guy like me who is creating their first site (on golfing, and links to equipment to buy) you'd recommend the following steps :

(1) Get an informational page listed on DMOZ, then later put a link to my content site with the affiliate links

(2) Obviously, submit to be listed in google

(3) Start doing link exchange to get more pages pointing to my site

(4) Submit to a bunch of other random search engines

(5) If after a month or two, I'm not getting the traffic think about doing some pay per click and possibly think about paying $299 to list in Yahoo (if I have a really good site and want to take the risk of being denied.

Is there anything I am missing here?

Also, could someone define SEO and SERP?

Thanks for the help guys.

Dan

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread