Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I have read the following at http://www.iprcom.com/papers/pagerank/index.html:

"If you give outbound links to other sites then your site's average PR will decrease (you're not keeping your vote "in house" as it were). Again the details of the decrease will depend on the details of the linking."

Earlier in the page it said external links can be good.

Would this be a good or bad scenerio?

A website company that designs a site gives a link over to the client site. The client site in turn gives a link back to the designer site on the bottom of each page.

~Michelle

A link passes on roughly 85% (that's 85% / number of links on page) of the PR to the page the link is on.

If you have one link on a page and link externally instead of internally, you have passed on that page's PR to someone else. If you link internally to one of your other pages (page B), that page will get that PR. The passed PR is added to the PR page B already has, and can be passed on further to other pages again, like your page C.

If your page A link to B and your page B link back to A, you pass PR between your pages for "quite a while".

Added: what you suggested is a good scenario, that's what's called reciprocal linking. Reciprocal linking between domains is the same as reciprocal linking between your own pages. However, don't do to much reciprocal linking between domains, because Google may penalize you for it. The consensus seems to be that 10-12 reciprocal links between websites are ok, 30 is not. Personally I suspect the percentage of external links being reciprocal may play a role, but I have yet to see any evidence of that.

I can't remember that the doc you are referring to suggested to link externally. But it can be nice to have some external links because Google is wary of sites that hoards PR.

-- Less is more --

[This message was edited by Cellophane on January 17, 2003 at 08:58 PM.]

Michelle,
    added2: Just wanted to say that by passing PR to a page, that does not in any way reduce the PR of the page the link is on. PR is never subtracted, only added to pages that are being linked to.

-- Less is more --

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Thanks!

I was just worried that it would count against me.

Thanks again.

~Michelle

ABW Ambassador
    Don't worry too much about PR "leakage", because a page with lower PR can often beat a page with higher PR where it matters most -- in the search engine results. An outbound link and the description you put with it can reinforce your target keyword(s). Linking out might slightly reduce the PR available to recirculate within the site, but in my experience it's worth the tradeoff for the chance to add spider-friendly content to a page.

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    I am not sure I agree with the way most people will view the statement given in that paper.

I view PR like Love, you don't lose it when you give it away, there is just more of it, as Cellophane said but far more eloquently.

That being said, PR from a page is passed on, not given away, to whichever pages you link, be they internal or external. So by using internal linking intellegently you can boost important pages within your site. But external linking does in no way detract from your sites base PR.

However, be careful of linking internally only, at the expense of external links, as that is seen by Google as PR hoarding, something they frown upon.

The best thing you can do is forget about any so called PR leakage and simply build good pages linking to relevant pages and sites be they internal or external.

As for reciprocal links, I generally don't participate in tit for tat reciprocal links, rather I believe in the "Pass It On" principal, that is, linking to pages simnply because they are worthy of a link and/or relevant to the linking page's content. That helps build a rich and valuable site which other people will then link to because your site is worthy of a link. Make sense?

And remember, PR is page rank not site rank, although the name page rank does not come from that fact but rather from Larry's name, but then that is a whole other issue altogether.

Woz

ABW Ambassador
    Does Google count affiliate links in PR? In other words, by having an affiliate link on my page am I giving away PR at the expense of my other (internal) links? And if so, does java scripting the aff links help to retain my PR within site?

That article on PR brought up these questions. And I was also wondering if Google's treatment of affiliate links had changed during the past year or so, because I saw a dramatic decrease in PR on a site that had a large number of outbound aff. links. But that could have just been a penalty too.

So, is there a simple way to figure out if you are penalized (as opposed too just having a site with low PR)?

ABW Ambassador
    An external link is an external link regardless of where it's going to, whether google can follow it properly or anything else.

However, I would say this: forget about bloody PageRank - it really isn't that important. It's importance in Google's algo has been vastly overstated, so please don't obsess over it. PR isn't the important part of link building.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread