Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    So any thoughts on what ValueClick who owns BeFree buying CJ means to publishers and advertisers?

October 10, 2003 04:44 PM US Eastern Timezone

ValueClick to Acquire Commission Junction; Acquisition Would Form Industry's Leading Affiliate Marketing Solutions Provider

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 10, 2003--ValueClick, Inc. (Nasdaq:VCLK), the single-source provider of media, technology and services that enable advertisers, agencies and publishers to reach consumers in all major online marketing channels, today announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Commission Junction, a privately-held affiliate marketing technology and services company located in Santa Barbara, California.
    Today's announcement significantly enhances ValueClick's current position in this channel through its Be Free subsidiary, which powers the affiliate marketing programs of more than 200 online and multi-channel retailers, including Best Buy, CitiFinancial, Staples, and Travelocity. ValueClick intends to combine Commission Junction with Be Free, and expects to benefit from Commission Junction's strength in broad-ranging affiliate solutions, including the sophisticated functionality of CJ Vantage, which serves clients such as MSN, eBay, Overture, and Quicken Loans. Additionally, Commission Junction will further strengthen ValueClick's international affiliate marketing presence, with clients that include Expedia, Marbles and Marks and Spencer.

In affiliate marketing, a customized network of affiliate partner sites is developed by or for a merchant in order to generate incremental sales and leads, based on a pay-per-lead and/or revenue-sharing model. Affiliate marketing has been identified by the National Retail Federation's Shop.org as one of the most effective methods of enabling online retail commerce, a $95 billion industry that is expected to grow to approximately $230 billion by 2008. (Source: Forrester Research, August 2003).

Under the terms of the agreement, ValueClick will acquire all outstanding equity interest in Commission Junction for an aggregate purchase price of approximately $58 million in cash, ValueClick common stock and options to purchase ValueClick common stock. The transaction has been approved by the Boards of Directors of each company and is expected to close in November 2003, subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals.

"The acquisition of Commission Junction would double the size of our affiliate marketing division, and is the latest example of ValueClick's ability to execute on our strategy of being a single-source provider of technology, media and services for digital marketers," said James Zarley, chief executive officer and chairman of ValueClick. "Commission Junction is a profitable and growing company that will provide synergies in products, services and expertise to enable ValueClick to take even greater advantage of the expected growth of online commerce. We are excited to welcome Commission Junction to the ValueClick family."

"Joining Commission Junction with ValueClick would create a clear leader in affiliate and pay-for-performance marketing," said Jeff Pullen, president and chief executive officer of Commission Junction. "The strength of Commission Junction's network and our wide-reaching client base of publishers and advertisers will benefit from ValueClick's diverse, integrated offerings and financial strength. We believe that ValueClick will gain from the best practices that we have developed and refined throughout our history. We look forward to becoming a part of the ValueClick team."

About ValueClick

ValueClick, Inc. (Nasdaq:VCLK) is the single-source provider of media, technology and related services that enable advertisers, agencies and publishers to reach consumers in all major online marketing channels, through our four business units:

-- ValueClick Media (www.valueclick.com) provides a wide range of online marketing solutions -- including Web Marketing, Email Marketing and Search Marketing -- to create awareness, build brands, deliver targeted visitors, generate leads, drive sales, and grow customer relationships.

-- Be Free (www.befree.com) provides measurable, ROI-focused technology and services to help marketers increase online leads and sales, utilizing Affiliate Marketing, Search Marketing, and Automated Merchandising.

-- Mediaplex (www.mediaplex.com) provides technology and services that help advertisers, agencies and website publishers manage their online advertising and permission-based email campaigns.

-- AdWare (www.adware.com) provides software and services that help advertising agencies and other companies operate their businesses more efficiently, through effective agency management, media management, and content management.

For more information, please visit www.valueclick.com.
    About Commission Junction

Commission Junction delivers advanced performance-based online marketing solutions that facilitate strategic relationships between advertisers and publishers, driving accountable results for each client. By publishing performance metrics on advertisers, publishers, and ads within its network and leveraging its own expertise in online marketing through service, education and promotion, Commission Junction creates an open marketplace of low risk and high reward for its clients. The company serves billions of impressions monthly, ranking it among the largest ad networks in the world. Clients include leading online marketers eBay, MSN(R), and USA TODAY. Commission Junction is headquartered in Santa Barbara, Calif., with offices in San Francisco, New York and London. For additional information, visit www.cj.com.
    This release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including trends in online advertising spending and estimates of future online performance-based advertising. Actual results may differ materially from the results predicted and reported results should not be considered an indication of future performance. Important factors which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements are detailed under "Risk Factors" and elsewhere in filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission made from time to time by ValueClick, including its Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on March 28, 2003, recent quarterly reports on Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K. Other factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements include the risk that market demand for online advertising, and performance-based online advertising in particular, will not grow as rapidly as predicted. ValueClick undertakes no obligation to release publicly any revisions to any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.

Victor Caballero
    victor@realtytrac.com
    Residual Revenue Affiliate Program: www.realtytrac.com/affiliates

3. ABW Ambassador
    Combine the 2? Wait and see on this. Should be for some interesting upgrades. Scott where are you? This is going to be a long thread. Victor i think you're going to get a free Parasite T-Shirt of of this

Whatever happens, please, please, please keep the CJ interface.

Apollo

Wow, huge news. Most likely they will keep both companies in the same place and have two networks that appeal to different groups of both merchants and affiliate partners. Be Free has always been very expensive and they have lost out on many smaller clients over the years. Now they can push smaller merchants over to CJ without loosing out on the sale.

Jeffrey

ABW Ambassador
    Under a single roof no 2 all. progs. can live. One must die. Which will it be?

carneol

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    ValueClick intends to combine Commission Junction with Be Free,

Sure hope all those links don't have to be changed out.

Time for a drink. *hiccup*

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    Not necessarily, Shareasale bought out FineClicks and they're run separately. And all the link changing, would be a mess. Best to operate them separately.

quote:
    expected to close in November 2003

Hey, that quicker than any promised updated feature from CJ. Sorry just couldn't resist.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

That was a joke about changing out the links. At least I sure hope so. But Trust, they say they will be combined, not run separately. When VC bought out BF, they said BF would continue to run as before. When VC bought out OnResponse, they did say the programs would be moving over to VC and links did have to be changed.

15 years and counting
    I'm just glad I didn't bet on CJ only for my future.
    I don't see any value for me in that merger.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Just please don't make us have to change out links during the holiday season...

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    No way... Is this for real? Wow.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    4LowRates ::ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds :: Roadloans :: More Soon!

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, that would suck, changing links. If we have to do it, it won't happen this year. It's all about the $$$ and they would lose a lot asking us to change links before the holidays, plus i'm sure the links we do have up will still track through the. It would be nice if someone high up who knew what will be happening will let the affilates and merchants know.

Nothing to worry about this year, if we have to eventually change links. The merchants won't allow it, they would lose money. Affiliate Marketing goes as the merchants go. They are the trend setters.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on October 10, 2003 at 06:40 PM.]

Outsourced Program Manager
    There were rumors about this acquisition for a long time and it looks like they've finally come true. This is very big news for merchants, as well. I spoke with someone at CJ who said it's business as usual for the time being, i.e. no changes have been announced, etc.

ValueClick is a huge company that may now come into its own as an integrated marketing provider. I guess congratulations are in order to ValueClick and Commission Junction!

Brook Schaaf
    Affiliate Manager
    brook@shoes.com - 310.566.7919
    Shoes.com - TheWalkingCo.com
    120 Return Days - Strong Support - Direct Data Feed - No Sales Reversals

quote:
    Originally posted by Jeffrey:
    Be Free has always been very expensive and they have lost out on many smaller clients over the years. Now they can push smaller merchants over to CJ without loosing out on the sale.

Jeffrey

BeFree expensive??? Not for us, but then again we are generating more volume than a smaller brand / company. For us, it came down to our negotiating strengths, and how bad BeFree cared to have our company represented within their network. I can say that BeFree was / is MUCH less expensive for this company.

Cheers,

Phillip L. Kidwell
    Manager, Online Marketing
    eHealthInsurance Inc.
    The Silicon Valley
    http://ehealthinsurance.com

Unlimited Buying Window - Strong Support - No Sales Reversals - High EPC's - beFree Acclaimed Partner

The nations #1 producing health insurance broker online and offline for more than 45 leading health insurance companies - nationwide.

18. ABW Ambassador
    Can't believe my eyes!
    I was expecting CJ to be bought by MS or similar...

Obviously we are seeing an example of a superior company buying an inferior company (just in terms of financial skills)

I would love to see some befree merchant under CJ interface! and see some CJ problems solved like befree, unique clicks from befree, consolidated payment like CJ, just add befree unique clicks to CJ

Wow what a move in the affiliate industry, seems to be very difficult to merge, specialy with CJ slow techies trying to solve the hostfile issue yet, and befree has just started to improve, but the has been sleeping the last years...

Fer

Bloody hell. If the US regulators actually understood this they should block the merger because the CJ/Befree rivalry is a good thing.

Also, CJ being "privately owned" glosses over the fact that it's owned by IdeaLab who create Overture and also own Evolution Robotics and other sites and was a famous/infamous dot com incubator.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

What does ValueClick own?

BeFree
    MediaPlex
    AdWare
    and now ....CJ

CJ on the West coast
    BeFree on the East coast

Anyone have any numbers on advertisers and publishers on the two networks?
    CJ has about 1200 advertisers and they claim 100,000 publishers.

BeFree?

Is Performics in there?

Victor Caballero
    victor@realtytrac.com
    Residual Revenue Affiliate Program: www.realtytrac.com/affiliates

Added: Of course this is great news for IdeaLab, who are more famous for failures than successes. They founded the *original* eToys which went horribly bust before the brand name was bought up by KB Toys.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, I am sad...

Please keep the CJ support team and system, was so good to have questions answered the same day...

(But add direct deposit to befree!)

Fer

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    My congratulations to ValueClick and to BeFree for this aquisition. I had heard the rumblings of this as well, i'm happy that it finally materialized.

As for BF and changes, they are always improving and getting better and i have a feeling we will hear more good news coming up very soon

WTG Guys !!

AndyRodriguez.com
    Affiliate Program Management
    and Consulting Services
    P: (305) 412-3512
    C: (305) 785-4524
    E: doc@andyrodriguez.com
    W: www.andyrodriguez.com
    AIM: AffiliateDoctor

ABW Ambassador
    What the hell, I am totally shocked

Fer

Did this witch not tell you that CJ would soon be gone??

It doesn't matter if the name changes or not. The CJ of the time I was talking about is now gone. I give it the rest of the approx 1 year and 8 months left on my prediction for the name and all the rest of the identifying factors to be wiped away.

Listen to your local witch! I rarely make public predictions and then with great care.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

LISTEN! CJ don't give no whistles no more! I can hear the music of another piper!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast