OK there may be bad things - the encouragement of a mass of off topic reciprocal linking perhaps the worst.

This PhD inspired academic BS has basterdized the SERPS.
    In my view Web sites should rise or fall based on their own merits not on links from other sites, many of which have questionable value themselves.

I do not intend to add a lot of links to my pages and I pay the price for it under current algorithms. However I do quite well
    by just adding more pages to make up for what I consider a penalty. Even with a low PR pages can still get a lot of hits.

I suspect lots of webmasters take this tact and it
    just results in a great number of unnecessary pages on the net.

You do what you have to do to minimize the impact of the over thinkers.

My 2c worth.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with you. The thought that the more sites that link to you, the better your site is badly flawed. However, Google does try to remedy this by ignoring low PR incoming links and giving high PR incoming links more weight. Does this work? Maybe. Or maybe the big PR sites get stronger while the low PR sites get weaker. When people charge you money to have a link from their high PR site, something is badly amiss.

None of my sites have a links page yet. I have one PR5 site and the rest are all PR4. I find that I can compete quite well in most areas.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

I have no problem getting top listings in google while ignoring page rank and reciprocal linking. I never do reciprocal links.

El Jefe, like Jane, I don't do recipricol links,
    and never have problems getting top listings.

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador
    I used to do a lot of reciprocal linking when i first started, now i just concentrate on making a good site. Do that and people will link to you naturally just because your site is good. Plus i think people linking to you without a reciprocal link back carries a little more weight. Anybody can do recip links, that just takes time, having people link to you because your site is good, is a little harder.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by perfectG:
    When people charge you money to have a link from their high PR site, something is badly amiss.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When Google finds out you're selling links based on PR, you get the PR0 badge of honor. That was from GG at WMW a few months back.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I am not a search engine purist myself. So I don't really care what they base relevancy on.

Whatever the also favors, then I'll go for it, and let the purists philosophize about whether it is right or wrong.

And anyways, what is up with all the posts lately where people are turning sites in for what they consider spamming? It all started a few weeks ago. I can understand when do-gooders fight hunger and other humanitrian / environmental causes, but search engines? That is stretching it.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I can understand when do-gooders fight hunger and other humanitrian / environmental causes, but search engines? That is stretching it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Some people feel that others are incapable of protecting themselves from search engine spammers.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Some people feel that others are incapable of protecting themselves from search engine spammers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH, so these are like new super-heroes?! Protecting the innocent and the good of all mankind!

ABW Ambassador
    They think themselves as super-heroes, yes. They also think that the internet should have never gone commercial.

No I'd say most of them think they should be the only commercial sites and anyone who happens to be a competitor is spamming.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They think themselves as super-heroes, yes. They also think that the internet should have never gone commercial.

---------------------------------------------

No I'd say most of them think they should be the only commercial sites and anyone who happens to be a competitor is spamming. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Either way, they sound like Open Directory editors to me.

A level playing field would be nice.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread