ABW Ambassador
    I was looking around ebay and I found a PR 5 domain on sale for $2 listed in Yahoo and DMOZ.

I've never bought anything on eBay so I'm not familiar with it, is there anyway this can be some kind of scam? It just looks to good to be true?

<edit> I forgot to say that I wanted the domain to increase my new sites PR, is there anything wrong with this </edit>

Javi

ABW Ambassador
    Well $2 seems a little low for any domain, so I would be wary. But then again, $2 is money you can afford to lose, I hope.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Contact the seller to confirm the terms, confirm what the auction is actually for and clear up any questions.
    If you're happy with the reply (no reply = not happy), go bid.

Unfortunately, Yahoo listed domains on Ebay often are too good to be true. I can't say for sure whether they're still doing this or not, but for a while, yahoo was delisting all domains sold on Ebay. I bought quite a few of them and was oftly bumbed when I found out about the delistings. There was a claim going around Ebay that it was a certain individual emailing the names of the domains to Yahoo, but I always thought that it may have been Yahoo editors just periodically checking the domains for sale. One smart seller that I dealt with mentioned that he had a yahoo name for sale, but would only supply that name via email. That turned out to be a very bright move, as that domain did not get delisted with the rest. As far as the DMOZ listing is concerned, It's rare to have one of those delisted, and the domain is worth a lot more than $2 just for the DMOZ listing alone. Hope this helps, Dave

Organic, that is exactly what happened to me! I had a really cool domain name that I put up for auction on ebay.... it was listed in yahoo.. 2 days after the auction commenced, the name was out of YAHOO. I will never sell domains through ebay again. What a lesson!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I saw someone selling vstore sites on ebay a while back, which somehow seemed a little wrong.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

Usually there's a transfer fee too, and maybe hosting costs. It depends, there are a few really good sellers out there though. I *have* bought some good domains on eBay.

IMHO a Yahoo listing these days is useless - an ODP listing is better, but there are editors who specifically look through eBay listings.

As spacewar says, check for hidden costs, but a PR5 isn't too bad.. probably with the transfer fee it'll be about $20 or so I guess.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

ABW Ambassador
    Someone else beat me to it

Oh well, I still think there had to be some hidden costs somewhere

Javi

since someone else got it, there's no reason not to tell us what it was?

ABW Ambassador
    I can't remember the exact name, I just know it came up when I did a search for "yahoo dmoz domain" and it's not there anymore.

Javi

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread