ABW Ambassador
    Since i found out about hitting Ctrl A, every time i visit sites, i always check them out. I was checking http://www.perfumeemporium.com and they have hidden text on the bottom. I wonder how many sites actually get banned for using these techniques. I heard only 2% of sites reported to Google for SPAM, get banned.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

don't worry about it

Are you competing with them, or why do you ask?

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net
    Sign-up for our Affiliate Program
    http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...erchantID=2123

If you can't move things, try harder!

ABW Ambassador
    No, i'm not competing with them, i have them on my sites. I just thought the Google Algo somehow took care of this as hidden text is a definite spam technique.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

ABW Ambassador
    There was a thread about this last week.

Hidden text was one of the early se spamming techniques. Google knows about it.

If they are not penalizing a site with hidden text, that is probably because the algo is not weighting and favoring hidden text very highly. In other words it is not a big factor in the algo and not a big concern to Google compared to other things which would have a larger role in the algo.

Hidden text is very hard to detect, and it seems recently that google is not doing a good job detecting it. Months ago, I rarely saw top-ranking sites employ this technique. Now, I see a lot. I think the only risk is that you get reported and google bans your site. Their algo can't seem to catch it, unless of course your are dumb about it.

FYI, I do not use hidden text because I think if you spend the five minutes, you can write sentences that make sense and employ the keywords you want. Why risk it?

Trustno1, if you they are ahead of you in the search engines, regardless if you promote them or not, they are your competition. What if Google banned them because of their fishy technique? You might stand to make a lot more money!

Especially stupid in this example where the hidden text is actually close to being reasonable copy and wouldn't be out of place out in the open!

Are you Crazy?

If Google and other SE's are not paying much attention to hidden text anymore, you can bet they will if many sites start using it again. Just not worth it. Google seems to pay more attention to text in the upper portion of the page anyway. Good optimization in that area seems to gain best SERP.

They are one of your merchants on your site, but you are still in competition with them. When a merchant trys to out do his affiliates in the search engines, he is trying to gain business for which he doesn't have to pay commissions, therefore he is competing with you.

Gene
    TCS

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread