They term it as a "modest price increase", but minimum bids have gone from $.05 to $.10 in their engine. Are they for real? We've had decent success with them in the past, but there are very few instances for us where $.10/bid will ever make us any money.

Many popular searches which had dozens of advertisers when they had no minimum dropped to very few results once the $.05 minimum kicked in a couple of years ago (that was their "modest" 400% increase to the minimum). I wonder how many searches will get knocked down to less than a handful of advertisers now. Hopefully a lot, since they've jumped their minimum price by 900% since 2 years ago, from $.01 to $.10...

Absolutely right. A lot of small to medium sized advertisers will drop them now. Although the granfathered listings will stay on for a while.
    Once the old granfathered bids get raised to 5c, I will stop advertising with them.
    "Modest price increase" - what a good joke!

Gabe
    www.1lovecards.com

What wonderful news for me!

I am pretty close to the top on most of my search terms without paying a cent!

If they lose those stupid paid for ads, I will move higher!

I bet they do lose most advertisers for my items and will have to show the free listings instead.

Way to go Overture and Thanks!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    I'd be very interested to know who dreamt this up. The only reason a PPC would be sustainable long-term is if the bids for search terms were allowed to find a natural, market-led level. In other words, the market would decide the value of each search term. However, increasing the minimum bid to $0.10 undermines this completely. Many search terms are not worth $0.10 per visitor and therefore no one will bid on them even if they could afford to. This means less revenue for Overture, not more.

In fact, there is no way I can see this increasing Overture's revenue at all. Search terms that are already worth more than $0.10 per click to advertisers already have pages of bids over that amount, so there is no extra revenue to be had by increasing the minimum.

This is a pretty stupid move. But it does, as SSanf points out, increase the value of an Inktomi listing and I'm all in favour of that.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

!<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Once the old granfathered bids get raised to 5c, I will stop advertising with them.
    "Modest price increase" - what a good joke<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, I've got a lot of $0.01 terms that no one bid on before that bring in decent traffic, I'm not willing to pay $0.05 for them, so looks like I'll be out of the PPC game.. Too bad for them, a few years ago when things where really smoking before 9/11 I remember paying goto(overture) well over $2000 one month. Of course that was a great month!!

Sure will be funny if they have to start putting the "free" listings up there when no one is bidding $0.10.

Previously grandfathered bids should stay that way!

http://www.ahugedeal.com

Since when did DOUBLING the price of something represent a "modest price increase"???
    Overbid needs to get out and breathe fresh air more often!

Andy

Here's what they can do with their
    "modest price increase" &gt;&gt;&gt;

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe the editorial staff have been sharing whatever it is they smoke with the marketing staff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Maybe the editorial staff have been sharing whatever it is they smoke with the marketing staff. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is too funny. I've had keywords that have been cruising along for years that suddenly got "removed" by the editorial staff. However, when I searched for those same keywords, sites similar to mine came up also, but they weren't removed.. Of course, I emailed and got no response..... So I added the keywords again, and wow! they where approved again... I really believe they are a waste of time now, I'll probably just shut down my account with them and rely more on the inktomi submissions and such. Hopefully the yahoo buy-out won't disrupt that too much.

http://www.ahugedeal.com

Yup, looks like I won't be using them any longer either. I have a lot of grandfather bids since thier last increase. I would lose my @ss having to pay 5 cents on those bids.

I agree Mark, let the market dictate the price of the ppc.

Coincidence Me baby!

Affiliate Programs That Just Might Work

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread