Hello everyone (first post )
    I have a question for those in the know... The hosting company that has one of my sites doesn't give the site its own IP address. So you can't hit the site by typing 64.58.76.230/blue.htm for example. Would any of the search bots care about this?

I'm trying to guess why my site vanished from Google after being ranked pretty high for about two weeks. Saw Googlebot Saturday afternoon and the next thing I know the server logs are dead quiet and searches turn up nothing.

Hi bimmer

welcome to ABW

The word (quoted in a tech interview with Google) is that they don't treat sites on shared IPs any differently from any other.
    Given the increased pressure on IP address space, that seems reasonable and probably true.

This is a guess - but you may have just hit some bad Google timing. Your traffic last month may have been courtesy of the Google freshbot that goes looking for fresh stuff to deliver along with the main index - but it doesn't add to the index. The monthly "dance" has just finished (the updating of the main index), so it's the new index that's displaying results, and the freshbots are back at base kitting up to be sent out on the monthly deep crawl that will build next month's index.

Keep your fingers crossed that Saturday's visit means they know you're there and they will return.

That would mean it will prob be end of Feb before you're in the main index, but you could try doing frequent updates during Feb to entice the freshbots back.

Bottom line of course is that no-one really knows, so you'll want to take all this with a big pinch of salt

Are you Crazy?

Thanks for the Reply CrazyGuy. That's what I thought but being a little new to this, I wanted to be sure.

Well, back to work!

I'll confirm that. I have a site with shared IP with a 5 ranking. The last Google dance resulted in 500% increase in traffic. I'm still awstruck by all this. I don't know if anyone else experienced this but it began on Super bowl Sunday and is still climbing today.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Hi bimmer

Welcome to abestweb!

I've been wondering the same thing for quite a while. Crazyguy's answer makes a lot of sense to me and will save me some money too.

People disagree on this one. First off, your site will not rank lower because of a shared IP. As Crazyguy said, there are too few IP addresses available. If you want extra IPs for yourself, your hosting company likely wont give it to you unless you have a pretty good reason (hint: the hosting company must get the addresses from somewhere too ...)

But there's also the question about linking from site A to site B, and both sites have the same IP. Do this link count as much as a "normal" link? Maybe, but some webmasters claim that their links were downgraded. And there are people currently working at Google who has written papers about improving the quality of pagerank/links by downgrading links from the same IP C-class. But of course, whether they are actually doing this or not is yet another google secret.

I don't do reciprocal linking, but I got my high PR/content sites on seperate IP C-classes. From there I'm linking to my sale sites, which are jammed together in a reseller account, sharing the same IP. I'm not so sure if it's wise having a bunch of external links all pointing at the same IP, but as Heyder said, it's also a question about money, and about easy account administration.

Would love to hear others take on this. And don't be shy and throw in any thoughts you might have about Google and whois also

-- Less is more --

[This message was edited by Cellophane on February 03, 2003 at 11:50 PM.]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've got some sites on their own IP and some on shared, and I haven't seen any difference which I could attribute to this.

For a while, I was seeing a difference from having links from internationally-based sites, but this effect seems to have been completely eliminated the last couple of indexes.

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Found the article I alluded to above:

http://interviews.slashdot.org/inter.../1352239.shtml

I moved the contents of several separate hosting accounts onto one dedicated server (1 IP) 3 months ago and rankings and traffic continue to rise.

I have extensive links between my own sites on that server - but only where they are relevant and justified. I ask myself "is this a situation that could ocur in real life (ie outside SEO)" - I think that's the kind of question the Google algo designers are trying to embody.

Are you Crazy?

My main site is hosted in a different place to the bulk of my other sites, partly because that means that any outbound links to my other sites come from clearly different IP addresses.

I've heard the "degraded links on a shared IP address" theory several times before though.. my suggestion is that an excessive amount of crosslinking within hosts on a shared IP address may be a contributary cause to getting a PR0 penalty.. in other words, don't create something that will give the Googlebot cause for concern.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

ABW Ambassador
    Google's don'ts page says something to the effect that 'do not exchange links solely for the purposes of increasing your ranking'. One of the easiest (but not necessarily most accurate) ways of detecting this is links on the same IP.

It is not that links on the same IP are inherently penalised, it is more that this is one of the main things Google looks at if they think you are link-spamming.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

One more thing that one should consider... at least I do...

If you have multiple sites on the same IP address, you might be risking googlebot not getting all of your pages. Googlebot sucks up pages by IP address... If you have 10 huge sites all on the same IP address, googlebot might not have the time to suck them all up... As far as I am aware, googlebot is very good about not killing your server with page requests. The only way googlebot can distinguish between servers is by their ip address.

Granted, this is just a theory of mine, and I have not seen it written elsewhere, but it seems to make sense. Whenever I intend on building a very large site, I make an effort to get another ip address for it.

ABW Ambassador
    I have 3 sites on the same ip. One a page rank 7 that has over 20,000 pages. The other two are page rank 6 and each consist of under 100 pages. All of the sites get deep crawls with no issues.

They are all updated daily and the content is unique and while not the same in any sense, linking between the sites would make sense to a human, and I guess Google's AI.

And to shoot down another issue always raised, all 3 are almost nothing but outbound links with small descriptions attached to each link.

Chet

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread