We've been pumping cash into ppc se advertising for awhile and would like to take a crack at getting some of the more popular keywords listed for FREE.

Bass Ackwards... I know. My background is in sales and advertising and not so much web development.

Is this a good plan;

Using the tips and tricks found on ABW, create doorway pages specifically designed for certain keyword/keyword phrases.

Create a URL related to scooter-review, submit it to non-commercial search engine listing services... once accepted link to our products, slap our banners all over it and list it as sponsored by UrbanScooters.com.

Create a URL related to scooter-safety... then do the same as above.

Once we get our feet wet hire Markymark to teach us how to really do it.

Suggestions... ideas... what do you think? Is any of the above considered unethical? We're brand spankin' new to this.

Thanks,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

Why don't you leave that to us and focus on selling scooters?

Fun aside; Yes you can pick up some strategies from ABW, not all legitimate, and implement them. Very smart people here, so most of them those strategies work very well.

But, some of them, like "doorway pages" are licence for SE to ban your site(s). So you have to be careful.

Markymark will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure:

Frank, a merchant site should have no trouble being accepted into DMOZ in the right category and if the site is quality. It's affiliate sites that are problematic.

To get into Zeal, you'd need a non-commercial site, so one of your ideas about a review site or other content might be good to go on that idea.

What SamBay said about "doorway pages".

I'm still wrapping my brain around how to optimize a database driven dynamic site. It could be that what you mean by "doorway pages" may not be what SamBay and I think of when we hear "doorway pages". Optimizing some static pages for your best selling items with plenty of keyword rich ad copy might indeed help free targetted SE traffic find your pages.

But really, if you're serious about growing your affiliate program, you might want to concentrate on making sure that you concentrate on sales, not on SEO. Whatever you do is the work of one team. With a fleet of affiliates, you have tens of teams (or more) with all that many more creative marketing brains working on driving targetted traffic.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

SamBay... WebMistress... you're hired!

Honestly, this is a function we would love to outsource via our affiliate program. We've had some very lovely affiliates doing some great things for us, but no one has stepped up to the plate and said they would like to optimize all the major keywords related to our site and drive that kind of traffic.

Perhaps I should be the one asking... again, I'm relatively new to all this.

This would definately be a win-win situation for all involved. As far as I can tell our program is rather successful on SAS. People are buying electric scooters these days and our affiliates made a decent chunk of change over the holidays.

Webmistress:

The DMOZ... we applied to DMOZ about 6 months ago in the same category our competitors are in... nothing. Our category hasn't had an editor since we applied.

Regarding doorway pages, yes... we were thinking about creating static pages rich in keywords using the tips and tricks found on ABW.

Thanks,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

It won't hurt do drop a line to the editor of the category above the one you applied for since that one has no editor.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

ABW Ambassador
    Hmm....well, I like the idea of hiring me to do it the best.

Failing that, you should get into Dmoz and six months is an unacceptable wait. Go to www.resource-zone.com and ask about your submission. That should hurry them up.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the directory spam route for Zeal/Looksmart. I would just pay Looksmart the $49 plus whatever budget you set and be done with it. Why rely on a Zeal editor when you can just pretty much buy a good ranking.

'Doorway pages ' ? Depends what you mean by doorway pages. One of the problems your site has got is you are using the Miva shopping cart software which produces very search engine unfriendly URLs. In essence, you have three options -

i) Implement a URL rewriting module for Miva so that the cart pages have more search engine friendly URLs.

ii) Create static 'more info' pages on all the products.

iii) Do both.

My advice would be number iii). The more info pages would be separate from the buy now pages and would serve as SE friendly doorways into your site for individual product searches (ie: people searching for particular brands or models).

Well, that's what I would do anyway.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    minor point, but....

Is your official page urbanscooters.com, or www.urbanscooters.com? You have links to both on your page.

Definitely nag (nicely..) the dmoz editors.. you aren't an affiliate site and should be in..

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

ABW Ambassador
    Joseph Monuit said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> minor point, but....

Is your official page urbanscooters.com, or www.urbanscooters.com? You have links to both on your page.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, this isn't a minor point at all. It can have a major effect on your rankings - at the very least it will dilute your PageRank. Well spotted, Joseph.

Hey... this is some great info.

Webmistress...

I've been having trouble accessing the DMOZ today, but will shoot an email to the category manager one above once I'm able.

Markymark...

I've posted a submission request to www.resource-zone.com.
    Where can we find a URL rewriting module for Miva? We've known about this problem for quite some time and haven't been able to track down a module to correct it. Can you point us in the right direction?

We'll create those static more info pages for our products as well.

Any suggestion as to what sort of page we should create to capitalize on general terms such as "electric scooter," "scooter," and "motorized scooter?" Should we just create multiple home pages, one slick one for general use, then a myriad of specific se optimized ones?

Joe/Marky...

Where exactly do you see the conflicts between www.urbanscooters.com and urbanscooters.com links? We'll correct this right away. The official page is urbanscooters.com.

Thanks gang,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with the directory spam route for Zeal/Looksmart. I would just pay Looksmart the $49 plus whatever budget you set and be done with it. Why rely on a Zeal editor when you can just pretty much buy a good ranking.
    - - - - -

Looksmart, though, costs 15 cents a click through, don't they? I mean, that's kinda pricey for me. If you can get into zeal, it'll save you some granola.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

ABW Ambassador
    elbow-
    True, but, zeal is (supposed to be) non commercial only, right?

Frank-
    Your logo (top left) points to the www subdomain. Also, ebike sale logo - looks like it is using a relative URL so, if someone (or a spider) were to retrieve the page from www, then it points to www as well... I didn't really see any others, but I didn't really look, I just noticed you advertising the URL as http://urbanscooters.com, and noticed that some links were to that, and some to the www subdomain...

Marky is right it could have major effects. I said minor only because I was under the impression that in most case Google "figures it out" and merges the two sites into one, but that isn't always the case.

The important thing is that hopefully anyone who links to you is consistent with whatever subdomain you use as your official URL.

Thanks markymark.

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

Frank -

As a new member and visitor, I'm impressed with the amount of feedback you are getting. Where else can you get so much valuable and FREE advice to enrich YOUR business. This is my first time into the forums, and I like what I see here. Maybe you can assist me down the road...

- John

ABW Ambassador
    Welcome, Chef...

----
    -J

ABW Ambassador
    Joseph Monuit wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The important thing is that hopefully anyone who links to you is consistent with whatever subdomain you use as your official URL.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, that's the key. What you don't want to happen is to have some people linking to http://urbanscooters.com and some to www.urbanscooters.com . You could put in a permanent redirect in your .htaccess file to ensure that all links to the www. site are redirected to the http://urbanscooters.com site. That way Googlebot will see all links as going to the same place.

URL rewriting module for Miva -
    www.mvcool.com/jmh/index.mv?product=CBS-OUISFL

You will need a complete site map for this to work well, I guess. I haven't used it, but it is the kind of solution I would implement.

The alternative is find a static page generator for Miva. There's a few of these around, but they are more cumbersome and every time you change a product, you will have to re-generate the static pages.

Re: Looksmart. 15 cents a click is cheap when you consider that the current top bid for 'electric scooters' at Overture is $1.87 .

Static pages: You should optimize your current home page properly that's for sure. You've got electric scooters in your title tag three times. Change one of these to the singular form at least.

No need for multiple home pages optimized for specific search engines. Good SEO should be able to get your current homepage onto the first page of all the major search engines.

I haven't done any research into popular terms for your industry, but I would have general static optimized pages for electric scooters, electric bikes, scooter parts, scooter gear and push bikes at the very least. I'd also use the more info pages to target those people looking for specific brands and products, like the Currie Phat Flyer (whatever the hell one of those is).

There ya go. That's all you are getting for free Hope it helps.

ABW Ambassador
    You can get into Zeal / Looksmart by submitting a non-commercial page (even if the rest of the site is commercial). However, it can only be put into a non-commercial category.

Thus, the 15 cent per click Looksmart option is probably more attractive (unless you just want to help everyone with scooter safety tips).

Hello All,

I had heard bad things about Looksmart, but I do agree that their cpc on our most popular keywords is great. I'll check into that again.

We'll submit our non-commercial scooter review and safety sites through Zeal, then lay down heavy linkage back to urbanscooters.com. I assume we lay down the heavy linkage after being accepted to Zeal?

Cheflinks... I'm absolutely more than happy to pass along any ABW knowledge that's come my way. I'll even throw in a few things I've learned on my own. Ask and ye shall receive.

We'll fix this http://urbanscooters.com vs. www.urbanscooters.com issue. No problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There ya go. That's all you are getting for free Hope it helps.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marky... just one question... and trust me... if we're opening our wallet to anyone for advanced SEO it's to The Master SEO Man MarkyMark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...but I would have general static optimized pages for electric scooters, electric bikes, scooter parts, scooter gear and push bikes at the very least.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In what format should these pages be laid out. Like an alternate home page? A dictionary definition of the term? Ha. What's there reason for being, like the reason for the optimized product pages is "more info."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the Currie Phat Flyer (whatever the hell one of those is)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One hell of an awesome electric scooter. The Currie brand is top notch. The Currie F-18 Swingarm is for those who demand the best

Thanks to all that have posted,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

ABW Ambassador
    mmmmm curry

----
    -J

Hello UrbanScooters:

Sambay is right, even if he acted like he was only kidding. You need to focus on YOUR AFFILIATE program. You need to focus on your web site and making it SELL. You make a good site that sells, pay your affiliates fairly, and you WILL get many affiliates who will do all kinds of search engine MAGIC. There are experts here that can do the job a lot better than you and your company has the resources to do.

Well I see you talking a lot about doorway pages and other tips and tricks for good popularity. But I miss here most iportant thing is the textual type link. Your site http://www.urbanscooters.com/ have most image links, I think textual links have more value for search engine than images. At end of site four lines of textual links are good, but I suggest you to put text link at the bottom of all products too.
    regards

Kamaluddin Panhwar
    Commission is good comming from only sales and will live long.

Just to chime in regarding MIVA. We tried using a module called Search Engine Killer and it didn't do much good at all. In fact, it caused some confusion for customers that actually landed on those pages. Anyway, we stuck with tried and true methods which seems to word for us. We have a pagerank of 7 and are #4 with our main keyword of "leather journal" #2 with "unique corporate gifts" #8 with "travel journal" #5 with "writing journal"

Our next phrases to focus on will be related to stationery (and stationary).

David Giacomini
    K. Schweizer, Inc.
    Inspiring the writer within.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K. Schweizer:
    Just to chime in regarding MIVA. We tried using a module called Search Engine Killer and it didn't do much good at all. In fact, it caused some confusion for customers that actually landed on those pages. Anyway, we stuck with tried and true methods which seems to word for us. We have a pagerank of 7 and are #4 with our main keyword of "leather journal" #2 with "unique corporate gifts" #8 with "travel journal" #5 with "writing journal"

Our next phrases to focus on will be related to stationery (and stationary).

David Giacomini
    http://www.kschweizer.com
    Inspiring the writer within.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Have you read http://jmhonline.net/searchmiva/nove...inekiller.html
    It is actually quite good.

Jason

JMH Web Services, Inc.
    http://www.jmhonline.net

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread