ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    I can't seem to locate this information. Anyone know?

"I want to make you more money with a professional and low cost web design. Let's chat."

ABW Ambassador
    Do you mean a URL like

www.this-is-my-spammy-domain-name.com or a URL
    like www.this-is-my-spammy-domain.com/spammy-directory-name/spammy-page-name.html ?

The answer - as far as I can tell, is that they'll read any old crap of any old length. However, expect to trip a filter or two with the second example I posted, though I must admit I've seen domains in Google with URLs listed that are even longer than my second example.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Actually, it's not spammy, it's just a super long query string generated by Microsoft Commerce.

I've checked several of these pages for super-specific text strings, and they've never shown up, plus I've never been able to get a page this deep in the taxonomy to appear in google.

Which leads me to believe the spider is leaving the string.

http://www.coneinstruments.com/ecommerce/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=Products&category%5Fname=HD+200+Plus+w%2FStraw+%7BProduct%7D&Page=1&PARENT%5FCAT=Contrast+Agents+%28Contrast+media%29&CAT%5FLEV1%5FNAME=Radiology&CAT%5FLEV1%5FVAL=Radiology&CAT%5FLEV2%5FNAME=Contrast+media&CAT%5FLEV2%5FVAL=Contrast+media&CAT%5FLEV3%5FNAME=Contrast+Agents+%28Contrast+media%29&CAT%5FLEV3%5FVAL=Contrast+Agents&specials=

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, right. No, Googlebot will go crying back to mommy when she comes across that. You need an ISAPI filter to create a search engine friendly version of that URL. Even then it will have a PR0 (as in the PageRank less than 1 sense)as you will end up with a URL like this:

www.coneinstruments.com/ecommerce/category/products/hd200/something-else/something-else/yet-more/still-going/ etc, etc.

Basically, I guess what I am saying is that even with a search engine friendly URL, that type of page is done for. I'd have an informational page optimised for each of the products placed higher up the site taxonomy that then links into that URL so people can buy your shiny blue widgets.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread