Last week, google showed a few hundred sites were linked to mine, but now when i use "Find web pages that link to mysite.com " NO sites come back!!! My site is still listed, and if i search for my site without the .com I get the few hundred sites. Does this affect my link popularity? Any idea why this would change, pretty much over night?? Has this happened to anyone else? And if so how did you get it fixed?

The Google "Find web pages that link to" function only works for a specific URL, so it won't pick up any deeplinks (e.g. link:http://www.dynamoo.com/ will NOT pick up http://www.dynamoo.com/orange).

However, this only works for sites that Google has marked as "active". So, if you get zero results for link:whatever.com BUT there are pages that actually contain links to whatever.com, then Google probably thinks your site is not active (maybe it was down when the Googlebot called). That WOULD impact on your rankings.

Does the Google Toolbar still show PageRank for your site?

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

But the site is still listed, and there has been no downtime at all

ABW Ambassador
    This is a great question. Similar thing happened to me back in January 2002, and the affected sites have not shown any inbound links since. When I run a search for links it just gives an odd long string of characters and the 'did not match any results' statement.

I have read the explanation that it only lists links from sites with PR>= 4, but one site shows a link from a site with no PR (greyed out Google toolbar).

So the mystery continues.

Lola,
    you're not giving us enough information to go on, what about:

- what do you search for; mysite.com, *ww.mysite.com, mysite.com/index.php, etc. Have you copied the url of your site from the address bar and pasted it into Google?
    - what was your pr last month and what is it now
    - what was the pr of the pages linking to you last month, how many pr6, how many pr5; and what is the pr of those pages today
    - how many other links on those pages
    - have you dropped in the SERP?

In general, when backlinks disappears it's because they fall under the pr threshold:
    - overall, pr will drop when the total number of pages indexed increases.
    - the dampening factor is between 10% and 20%. If Google increases the dampening factor, pr will drop.
    - if your site now is pr3 I don't think it will display any backlinks at all because *your* site is below the threshold.
    - and finally, most people believe that a backlink page with a pr4 or higher will always show, I tend to disagree. I see backlinks for pr3 pages, while I know of plenty of pr4 and pr5 pages which are not displayed as backlinks. And how can we say that the threshold is 4.0, why not 3.8 or 4.4123567?
    - and let's not forget that the toolbar is not exact science.

-- Less is more --

[This message was edited by Cellophane on January 30, 2003 at 12:27 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    When I search for my domain, I get no backlinks. When I search for my index page, ta-da! Backlinks galore!

Lola, do you want to share the URL?

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

Sorry I took so long to respond , but I broke my kneecap! I don't recommend it.

I didnt notice that the site fell to a PR3 (from a PR4)on the last update!! I had an updated links page but I didnt upload it You snooze you loose.
    The site is http://gamesandlottos.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread