Hi

I making a huge site selling all kinds of stuff.

So far each page only links to the homepage.

I was wondering if I cross link similar themed pages ( such as a page selling underwear for women, another for men and another for boys linking to each other; then a page selling cheescakes, and another one selling steaks linking to one another) would be a good or a bad idea?

HI
    I have sites that have pages that link between each other. The latest site does this as I refer to other parts of the site and at that point I put a link onto the page I am reffering too.

I honestly dont see it being any problem at all as it helps the person visiting the site.

As for it helping your site, well, it would help the google lady find any other pages on your site that it might not find from the main page (I personally have a link from the main page to a Table of Contents for the GOogle Lady to go and crawl all over:&gt).

So, basically, IMHO, it can help both for the visitor and any search engines.

regards John
    www.vitalcomms.com

Thank you, John

I'm going to start working on those links right now

I am no expert yet, but I think internal crosslinking is actually important.
    Having few pages of the sites linking well between each other can help you get good PR even without external links pointing to you.

Don't take it as an absolute statement - I might be wrong. Just judging from my experience with one of my sites, which has only 1 link pointing to it, and that site that is linking to me has PR0. However my site got PR4 after first Google update probably because I had around 30 pages of content cross linking to each other. So my guess is that internal linking is helping.

ABW Ambassador

Thanks Mila. There's nothing like personl experience to see if something works or not.

I hope I get similar results.

Weisinator, thanks for the link. Lots of information there. I think I will learn a lot!

Internal linking structure is important.

What you wanna do is link vertically, but never horizontally.

If you have a frontpage (FP) and two subsections, men & women, and each subsection has a few pages, you could (to do it simple) link:
    - frontpage to all subsection main pages
    - subsection main pages back to frontpage and to it's own children (ie women subsection main page links to women detailed pages, but not to men detailed pages)
    - subsection detailed pages to it's parent and to frontpage (women detailed pages links to women subsection main page and to frontpage)

Never link horizontally. Of couse, if you want to give certain pages some extra PR you could do that by calculating pr for pages individually.

-- Less is more --

Cellophane, I use Notepad (archaic and slow, I know, but I'm so used to it)

Let me see if I understand what you are saying.

I should not cross link pages that are listed on the same level or page, just link from one level to another?

ABW Ambassador
    The link structure of your site should be logical and consistent and should make sense to your visitors. If it does this, then you have a good link structure within your site; if it doesn't, you don't.

There is no point getting hung up on themed pyramids, canonical link structures on any of that pretentious rubbish. Find some well organised sites, figure out why they work and copy their link structure.

I have sites that link horizontally, vertically and zig-zag cross-wise - they all rank well and visitors don't get confused. That is the goal, after all.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

netsu, you understood correctly.

The reason I advocate planning your internal linking, - and linking vertically as the way to do this - is because what you do is actually a lot of internal reciprocal linking. That way you distribute PR evenly throughout your site, without throwing any PR away. The worst thing you could do is divide a chapter/long piece of text into several webpages, then on the bottom of each page only link to the next page/sub-chapter. For each hop you throw away 10-20% of the PR because of the dampening factor.

I'm not suggesting you should create complex internal linking structures, on the contrary, but staying true to a simple structure does help a lot. In addition to making the most of PR, a lot of good things comes from good internal linking:

- each sub-level page gets multiple internal incoming links, use the keywords as anchor text
    - you stay on theme, which will be very important pretty soon
    - you know how your site is structured, that makes it easier to maintain, or upgrade later

If you just link to whatever you feel without any overview or pattern, you could easily throw away PR and you'll be spending a lot of time keeping up as you remove and add pages.

-- Less is more --

What is more important where cross linking is concerned, is the ease of navigation from page to page for the shopper. The shopper needs to be able to move not only to related pages, but also to any page that might strike his interest without having to go back to the menu page.

Gene
    TCS

agree with markymark
    think about the visitors when you design your sites, links, menus etc not the search engines
    no point in trying to out-smart the search engines, you'll end up being caught by a penalty check

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread