example car accessories will produce 2,360,000 results

This simply means the words car and accessories are most likely somewhere on these pages.

while "car accessories" will produce 184,000 results.

This one means the phrase car accessories is likely to be found exactly as is on these pages.

Will I be given better consideration for this phrase by having the exact phrase on my site or will I be fighting against all 2 million competing pages for these results?

Also is it helpfull to put the phrase in "quotes"?

Hi
    Well certainly an interesting topic. As you may know, (or not) I have this thing about wording of site descriptions and have always stated that its very important for anyone searching the site, thats why I always put a description on every page.

I have also started playing around with words on the pages as well, specially targetting things so that when anyone does a search then there is a good chance they will find my site.

Recently I started a new site up for some friends after finding out that there was room too knock out the competition if we could show what the company acutally did. We have managed to do that but I have now put some more words in the main page so that if someone searchs for "two way radio crash tenders" it now brings up my page.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that as more people get used to using search engines, they will start to be more specific on what they want to find out and its really upto to us (the webmasters) to figure the best way of configuring the sites.

I will give it a try with putting terms in "" "" and see what happens, after all it will not do any damage (I hope not anyway).

Look forward to other replies

regards John
    www.vitalcomms.com

Well to be more specific I wonder if someone searches for auto accessories without quotes and my site has the exact phrase auto accessories on it will I be better placed above sites that have the words accessories for your car?

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder,
    Even better yet, ask yourself what "kind" of auto accessories ? Whatever they are , why not make THOSE your keywords ?

Really concentrating on 4-5 exact phrase keywords per page seems to be working for me .

I gave up on even attempting broad categories , and I just have to say, that so far so good, I couldn't have PAID for more targeted traffic . I ALMOST want to say that is has been a piece of cake to get #1 rankings in Google and Inktomi - But for the work involved , that would be a lie .

I'm finding it an extremely time-consuming , mentally exhausting , but yet well worth it , guaranteed way to get specific keywords into the #1, #2, and #3 positions in Inktomi and Google .

It's no fun building real, relevant content for each and every sh*ten keyword , but it's
    working.

Yes, you'll get better ranking for having the phrase in your pages.

Placing the phrase between the quotation marks will make little difference, unless Google thinks you're trying to emphasize that particular phrase.

Other than that, they usually ignore those king od punctuatuions.

Hi
    Well I agree with Lisa that putting the all time and hard work into the wording and being very specific is really critical to any website.

I have just made some changes to www.vitalcomms.com due to the fact that when I asked someone to look for 'two way radio hire glasgow' he could not find it, I thought he was joking but after a few more exchanges down the phone line, I soon relised that he was putting in '2 way radio hire glasgow', now I have looked at other sites and now changed my site to have both two way radio hire and 2 way radio hire listed in the main page and on the hire page.

Something as daft as someone using the word two or the number 2.

For the line of work that I am now involved in, the customer will be very specific in what they want and we should remember what level we are aiming for.

Anyway, thats the new site uploaded. Hope the Google lady will be round soon.

regards John
    www.vitalcomms.com

If the searcher places the keywords in quotes, that is what the search engine looks for first. Placing the phrase in quotes on your page for the purpose of the search engine finding it can hurt you on some search engines because it becomes part of the keyword phrase unless there is a space between the first and last letter of the phrase and the quotes. One should always use working phrases as keywords, not just words alone. The phrases should be specific to content of page.

The searcher that places quotes around a keyword phrase can make all the difference in the world whether you show up in the returns. With the quotes you may be in top 10 and without you may be 250 or further from the top for the same search phrase.

Keywords placed in the title tags, the description tags and in the page heading are most important but, should also appear several times in the remainder of page. Meaningfully used that is.

Gene
    TCS

You can use allintitle: and your search terms, such as allintitle: blue widgets and the results will tell you how many people are targeting those search terms by placing them in the title. That would be your real competition. Although there will be some high page rank pages in the search results also. I wouldn't even think about using quotes, only the higher end searchers would be the likely ones to use quotes.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, don't put the phrase in quotes on the page. As someone else said - Google are looking for the closest relevant page to the query. Keyword proximity and ordering are still important. In the most basic terms, if you have car accessories in that order in your title, h1 tags, beginning of paragraphs, etc you are likely to rank better than a site who has accessories car in the same tags.

However, into this mix, you need to throw anchor text on outbound and internal links. These make a hell of a difference. It is quite possible to get a page to rank well for car accessories simply by having those words in hundreds of links and maybe only once on the page they are pointing to. Oh, yeah, and PageRank will make some difference as well (but nowhere near as much as everyone thinks).

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Hi,

Well I mentioned in a previous mail about changing some of the wording to reflect what people will look for and one thing that had happened was when someone was looking for ' two way radio hire glasgow '.

I have now done some changes on the site (and description) and added the number 2 i.e. two/2 then changed some of the referances to ' two way radio ' to '2 way radio'.

It may seem rather petty at first but now people can find the site by searching using either the number 2 or the word two.

The site description might not look pretty but it workds.

This just shows how a little tweak of words can make a differance when people are searching.

regards John

What I fight with more than anything as far as Google is concerned is singular vs. plural. Google treats each very differently, while some of the other SEs ignore the "s" at the end of a word.

So, I try to make sure that keyword or keyphrase appears both ways on my pages, which can be difficult to do without making it look like you're stuffing keywords and keyphrases.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

Does anybody understand what I'm really asking?

Blue widgets will have 100,000 competing sites with that exact keyword phrase order, while there are 500,000 sites with words like my favorite color for widgets has just got to be blue.

Now the question is will I be fighting against 100,000 competing sites or 500,000 competing sites.

My thinking is that posibbly out of the pool of 500,000 sites the ones with the exact keyword phrase will be the upper crust of the results while the other 400,000 sites will hold most of the lower end. I don't know if this is the case as I can't seem to prove it but I'm wondering if anyone else had studied or noticed these things.

Heyder,

If the seacher enters the keyword phrase as "blue widgets", you will be competing against 100,000 other sites. If the searcher enters blue widgets without the quotes, you will be competing with 500,000.

The exact phrase will have greater weight but the SE will consider how many times the word blue appears on a site and then how many times the word widget appears. A site optimized with the word blue may be listed ahead of blue widgets in the SERPs unless the phrase blue widgets out weighs the blue optimzation by being in the title and description and H tags.

Hope this is clear. I believe that I understand what you are asking.

Gene
    TCS

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder,
    Sorry if my reply came across as if I was trying to give you basic know-how .

It really wasn't intended that way ,and I know you don't need THAT kind of advice , but it did SOUND like you were asking if exact phrases made any difference as opposed to the mixed up keywords words just appearing all over a page .

On second thought,
    There are a few things I have noticed in relation to your original questions , hope it helps or comes close to the answers you are looking for .

Yes, I personally have noticed better rankings when the exact phrase is used, but it appears to be useless UNLESS when it appears in more pronounced ways on the page , such as : In bolded fonts, (even smaller sized, bolded fonts seem to work ) , when inside font tags that change the color , size , or style , when seperated by a line break , when they appear inside italic tags in an actual sentence that has a period mark, and of course, done not too much, not too little, depending on the amount of other text.

What really seems to clinch it are several links to pages that LIGHTLY contain the EXACT phrase keyword, but not much else .

I don't think using the quotes on the pages will help , aren't they one of the punctuation marks that are ignored by Google ?

If I answered your question WAY OFF again, you are more than welcomed to put a dunce cap on my avatar, just trying to help

Lisa

Edited to say :

And yes, of course you will ALWAYS be competing with all 500,000 or 2 million pages, but the guy with the page talking about blue being his favorite color widget gets to be number 2 , the first loser in the keyword race after you come in #1

[This message was edited by Lisa on February 16, 2003 at 01:02 AM.]

Oh boy I hope I'm not coming across as being upset. TCS you're right on the money with what I'm wondering.

Lisa <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and I know you don't need THAT kind of advice <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be so sure about that

Lets say that the phrase Blue Widgets (no quotes) returns 500.000 results, and "Blue Widgets" returns 100.000. If you were to compare those two results, the 100.000 results for "Blue Widgets" would make up most of the first 100.000 results of the 500.000 results for the none-quoted Blue Widgets phrase.

It's not common, as someone suggested, that a site only optimized for the word Blue - barely mentioning the word Widgets, outperforms a site optimized for the phrase Blue Widgets. The exception, use of the word Widgets in external anchors may skew this picture and push a site only optimizing for the word Blue to the top.

To further elaborate, lets say you are targeting the phrase Dell Computers and you decide to throw in the singular term Computer too. If you do that by arbitray inserting the word Computer a few times on the page, well, your page will count in searches for Dell Computer, but you wont come anywhere near the top. But if you add Computer like this: Computer Dell Computers, then you are able to compete for both the Dell Computers and the Dell Computer phrases.

Lesson no. 1: Proximity is key when targeting multiple words, hence the term "keyword *phrase*".

A sidenote, occasionally I notice people claiming that a serch for Blue Widget returns listings very different from a search for Widgets Blue. Personally I have never seen anything but a slight difference. For instance, the results for George Bush and Bush George returns more or less the same results (2.58 mill.), only slightly differently shuffled. All of the first 30 results for George Bush appears within the top 50 for Bush George, and in total, 42 of the results for George Bush also appears in the top 50 results for Bush George. I have not checked for less competitive terms though, it may be that anchor text skews the picture.
    -----

Secondly, when it comes to singular vs. plural, it's my experience that most surfers are using the plural version, unless they are searching for a particular product. People will usually use plural when searching for Computers or Dell Computers, and singular when searching for Dell Latitude or Dell Latitude Cpt. I have also noticed that non-english "speaking" surfers have a tendency to use the singular version a lot more often than users with english as their native language.

Someone with continuous access to WordTracker may be able shed more light on this. I'm not using WT that much anymore after discovering that a phrase which sends me between 500 and 1000 monthly visitors from Google turned up as "never searched for" on WT.

Lesson no. 2: Target plural phrases for generic phrases, but use common sense. Doublecheck data from WT with Overture, eSpotting and 7search.
    -----

But the BIG question is: How many optimized sites are there for my phrase? How many do I have to compete with?

I think Qball was closest to the answer by suggesting using allintitle (I'm only talking about Google here). TCS is, ehm, far off, the real competition is not the number of results in Google since a search for Cats Dogs also will return hits on huge 25.000 word pages were the two words Cats and Dogs each are mentioned only once, - but I suspect he was being rhetorical.

So what do we know? Well, we know that:

- the vast majority of surfers are not using quotes when searching, but that the top results for a search without quotes are not all that different from a search with quotes. It's how the algo works, and it shows us the importance of proximity
    - that the way words are used in everyday speech could boost the number of quoted hits, for instance, George Bush returns 2.58 mill hits and "George Bush" returns 830.000 - accounting for 32% of the total, while Cats Dogs returns 1.81 mill. and "Cats Dogs" returns 130.000, accounting only for 7%.
    - that searching for Cats Dogs and allinanchor: Cats Dogs, normally returns almost identical results, showing us the importance of keywords in external inbound links
    - that an optimized site almost always has the keyword in the title of the page

So, lets look at some examples for the competitive phrase Digital Cameras:

A) Digital Cameras - 2.8 mill.
    B) "Digital Cameras" - 2.1 mill.
    C) allintitle: Digital Cameras - 128.000
    D) allintitle: "Digital Cameras" - 123.000
    E) allinanchor: Digital Cameras - 45.700
    F) allinanchor: "Digital Cameras" - 36.900

After excluding multiple listings from same sites (indented listings) the 20 first results for A and B are identical except that A#3 is B#4 and A#4 is B#3, A#8 is B#9 and A#9 is B#8, A#14 is B#15 and A#15 is B#14. The listings from 20 to 50 follow the same pattern. So the quoted an non-quoted results are virtually identical.

Now, lets look at allintitle (C and D). These results are 100% identical for all the first 50 results. I haven't looked beyond the top 50. And exactly the same is the case for allinanchor (E and F). The top 50 listings are 100% identical.

However, what we want to know is how allinanchor and allintitle performs compared to the general search results for Digital Cameras:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    allinanchor: Digital Cameras

# listed as / # in general search results
    1. www.dpreview.com 1
    2. www.shortcourses.com 2
    3. www.howstuffworks.com 5
    4. www.zdnet.com 4
    5. www.kodak.com 8
    6. www.imaging-resource.com 3
    7. www.pcmag.com 10
    8. www.powershot.com 9
    9. www.image-acquire.com 6
    10. www.digital-cameras.com 16:

allintitle: Digital Cameras

1. www.howstuffworks.com 5
    2. www.shortcourses.com 2
    3. www.kodak.com 8
    4. www.imaging-resource.com 3
    5. www.image-acquire.com 6
    6. www.pcmag.com 10
    7. www.olympusamerica.com 13
    8. www.allaboutdigitalcameras.com 21
    9. www.sonystyle.com 17
    10. half.ebay.com 37
    </pre>

Now, lets look at some examples for the less competitive phrase Dog Supplies:

A) Dog Supplies - 826.00
    B) "Dog Supplies" - 46.100
    C) allintitle: Dog Supplies - 4.870
    D) allintitle: "Dog Supplies" - 2.150
    E) allinanchor: Dog Supplies - 2.410
    F) allinanchor: "Dog Supplies" - 966

allinanchor: Dog Supplies

1. www.jandjdog.com 1
    2. www.dresslersdog.com 2
    3. www.dogsupplies.com 6
    4. www.sitstay.com 4
    5. www.cherrybrook.com 3
    6. www.1st-in-pets.com 8
    7. www.dogspecific.org 17
    8. www.petfooddirect.com -
    9. www.dog-bows.com 15
    10. www.nkconcepts.com 14

allintitle: Dog Supplies

1. www.jandjdog.com 1
    2. www.dogsupplies.com 6
    3. www.sitstay.com 4
    4. www.cherrybrook.com 3
    5. www.1st-in-pets.com 8
    6. www.dogspecific.org 17
    7. www.nkconcepts.com 14
    8. www.petdiscounters.com 20
    9. www.petsuppliesguide.com -
    10. www.k9web.com -
    </pre>

As we can see, getting a top 5 placement for allintitle or allinanchor will likely get us a top 10 placement in the general results.

A couple of other things to pay attention to:
    - the quoted search for Digital Cameras cuts off only 25% of the hits, while the quoted search for Dog Supplies cuts off 95% of the hits (But the top results are almost the same). This means that when the words Digital and Cameras both appear on a page they are more often used together (more often used in everyday speech), hence the SERPs are more likely to have a higher amount of non-optimized pages
    - that allinanchor returns fewer hits than allintitle, but allinanchor probably would have returned more hits than allintitle since links from pages with PR 3 and below does not show

Can we learn anything about how hard the competition is for any of these phrases? Since we know that anchor hits and title hits are so important in Google, those are the numbers we have to start with. But some of those hits are likely non-optimized BB posts (title of post automatically being displayed as title of page), others are personal homepages etc.

I don't have a good enough answer yet, but what I usually do is add the numbers for quoted allinanchor and quoted allintitle, and divide that number by 5-10 to find the number of Google optimized pages = the real competition.

Another rule I'm using is taking the number of hits from a quoted allinanchor search and divide that number by 10. The answer is usually the placement I will get in Google after optimizing on-page factors to the max, but only having 1-2 external links.

-- Less is more --

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder
    You will compete with all sites containing those two words, but you will indeed be in the top flight if you have those words in the correct order. If you optimize properly, you should come above most if not all of the accessories for your car crowd.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Cellophane,

Impressive analysis. However, your analysis is based on a two word phrase. I think you will find that a three or more word phrase will yield substantially different results. More and more people are using larger phrases to do their searchs. They are realizing that the more information supplied in their search, the better the returns for their search. I know for a fact that if a searcher puts a three or more word search into quotes that a page with those exact words in the title can jump from say 250th to number one in the search results. All things being equal (say 10 sites have the exact phrase in the first words of the title) the site that is then better optimized with the phrase and individul words of the phrase throughout the site, will be the the one that comes in first. This information applys to all search engines not just Google. Relavency does play a major role in algorihtms.

Using your analogy, search for cool blue widgets. You will get 5,800 returns.
    Then do a search for "cool blue widgets", you get only one return. Mind you the same number one site comes up but with different descriptive information. Is it better to be the only return or for the seacher to possibly bypass number one to others below as so often happens. There are a lot of issues to consider when optimizing for search engines.

The best route is to experiment and determine what works best for your site. If the competition is too great with a particular phrase, find another that has less competition. One that many people use to search but is not used by too many sites. A few well targeted visitors are far better than many lookers still trying to find the best results in the many pages that were returned with their highly competitive search.

Good luck,

Gene
    TCS

TCS,

Nice observation, I did use two word phrases, and I agree that the pattern for longer phrases could differ. Obviously, the lesser hits a phrase returns, the greater the discrepancy.

However, I maintain that quoted and an non-quoted competitive phrases returns top 10 results not that different from each other, including 3 word phrases. And if a phrase is not competitive, as in your example, it's easy to rank top 10. I'm going to use another example below, and I invite you to show examples proving otherwise - using competitive phrases.

But first let me clarify a couple of things I mentioned in my previous post.

One thing I said is that proximity is a necessity to obtain great ranking, using the example Dell Computers. And you said: "the site that is then better optimized with the phrase and individul words of the phrase throughout the site, will be the the one that comes in first" - and this is absolutely correct. The keyword *phrase* must be in the title, heading, text, etc, but one should also have the keywords individually on the page.

I also said that:
    "Another rule I'm using is taking the number of hits from a quoted allinanchor search and divide that number by 10. The answer is usually the placement I will get in Google after optimizing on-page factors to the max, but only having 1-2 external links."

I would like to clarify because I meant a quoted allintitle search, not an allinanchor. And that by dividing the number by 10, what I meant is that this is the number of sites I ususally find that I'm left to compete with after optimizing on-page factors. So to beat the remaing 10% I need to get incoming links and anchor text. However, this is far from exact science, I currently have one under construction site ranked #1 in Google where a quoted allintitle returns 500 results, and I have another site not ranked amongst the 800 where a quoted allintitle search returns 1500 results. So it's very important to look at the listings for each phrase, and not just use the numbers.

Another problem with using quoted and non-quoted phrases to determine the amount of competition, is that a quoted search returns exact hits, ie returns a match for Digital Cameras, but misses Cameras, Digital. And the latter could be a top ranking site. On the other hand, a non-quoted search returns not only hits for Digital Cameras, but also for titles like: Digital World, Shop for Computers, Games, PDAs, Cell Phones, Electronics and Cameras, which is less likely to be a top-ranking site unless they score high for anchor text.

Now, on to the example, using the three word search: Cheap Digital Cameras

A) Cheap Digital Cameras - 314.000
    B) "Cheap Digital Cameras" - 8.500
    C) allintitle: Cheap Digital Cameras - 427
    D) allintitle: "Cheap Digital Cameras" - 147
    E) allinanchor: Cheap Digital Cameras - 1.660
    F) allinanchor: "Cheap Digital Cameras" - 170

This time the reduction in hits is huge. For instance, a non-quoted allintitle search reduces the number of hits from 314.000 to 427. The question: Is the top 10 for this search very different from the results for a general search for Cheap Digital Cameras?

Again, I'm excluding multiple listings from same sites (indented listings). And this is how the quoted, non-quoted allinanchor and non-quoted allintitle searches performs compared to the general non-quoted search for Cheap Digital Cameras:

Phrase: "Cheap Digital Cameras", compared to: Cheap Digital Cameras
    8.500 hits versus 314.000 hits - reduction in hits: 97.29%

# ranked as / # ranked in general search results
    1. www.digital-camera-trade.com 1
    2. www.camera-x-change.co.uk 2
    3. www.multi-cam.net 3
    4. www.techbargains.com 4
    5. www.buy-the-best-digital-cameras-online.co.uk 5
    6. www.webtechgeek.com 8 (+2)
    7. www.computeractive.co.uk 9 (+2)
    8. www.cheap-us-imports.co.uk 12 (+4)
    9. www.kudoshops.com 13 (+4)
    10. www.allaboutdigitalcameras.com 15 (+5)
    11. www.shopz247.co.uk 17 (+6)
    12. www.uk-shop-online.co.uk 20 (+8)
    13. geek.dealtime.com 22 (+9)
    14. www.ad-free-bargains.biz 24 (+10)
    15. gameloaded.co.uk 25 (+10)

Phrase: allinanchor: Cheap Digital Cameras, compared to: Cheap Digital Cameras
    1.660 hits versus 314.000 hits - reduction in hits: 99.47%

1. www.digital-camera-trade.com 1
    2. www.camera-x-change.co.uk 2
    3. www.multi-cam.net 3
    4. www.techbargains.com 4
    5. www.buy-the-best-digital-cameras-online.co.uk 5
    6. www.find-uk-digital-cameras.co.uk 6
    7. www.kelkoo.co.uk 7
    8. www.webtechgeek.com 8
    9. www.energenix.com 10 (+1)
    10. www.kudoshops.com 13 (+3)

Phrase: allintitle: Cheap Digital Cameras, compared to: Cheap Digital Cameras
    427 hits versus 314.000 hits - reduction in hits: 99.86%

1. www.camera-x-change.co.uk 2 (+1)
    2. www.multi-cam.net 3 (+1)
    3. www.buy-the-best-digital-cameras-online.co.uk 5 (+2)
    4. www.find-uk-digital-cameras.co.uk 6 (+2)
    5. www.kelkoo.co.uk 7 (+2)
    6. www.webtechgeek.com 8 (+2)
    7. www.computeractive.co.uk 9 (+2)
    8. www.energenix.com 10 (+2)
    9. www.cheap-us-imports.co.uk 12 (+3)
    10. www.kudoshops.com 13 (+3)
    </pre>

Once more, let me emphasize these results:
    - the quoted search cuts off 305.500 out of 314.000 hits, still the top 15 listings can be found within the top 25 listings for the general search
    - the non-quoted allinanchor search cuts off 312.240 out of 314.000 hits, still the top 10 listings can be found within the top 13 listings for the general search
    - the non-quoted allintitle search cuts off 313.573 out of 314.000 hits, still the top 10 listings can be found within the top 13 listings for the general search

I think we can learn a lot from this about how big the competition really is.

-- Less is more --

Excellent work!!! Thanks millions

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread