Does it really make any difference what page is linked to reciprocal links?

For instance -- for an Internet mall, should all of the reciprocal links point to the home page, thereby giving the entire site a boost?

Or, should they point to individual product pages? And, if they do that, how does the rest of the site benefit?

I think it's best when reciprocal links are between two sites with related content. I don't use incoming links to product pages, but do have some great success with links to mall shopping category pages. I have a links page for each of my category pages. As long as the links pages are linked to your home page it should help boost both. When I first began this approach the home page went from 4 to 5 google ranking.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think it's best when reciprocal links are between two sites with related content <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does that work? Do the search engines really work out if 2 linked sites are related? What if site A is about tropical fish and site B is about pet rabbits, is that related? If they are related, how would the search engines decide that those 2 are and for example a credit cards site and a cosmetics site are not?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Simple way to sort this out is to factor in the one actually clicking the recprocal link. Assume the SE scores cross linking on relevence to theose clicking and could give a rat's ass about the two site owners. That way you focus on the value add of linking the two sites ..user benefits.

If I like a site and link to it, even if they don't have an affiliate program, I do a service to my customer. I inform the other site owner and just politely ask in a personal e-mail if he'd like to recprocate. If he doesn't my shopper still gets a benefit.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spacewar:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think it's best when reciprocal links are between two sites with related content <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does that work? Do the search engines really work out if 2 linked sites are related? What if site A is about tropical fish and site B is about pet rabbits, is that related? If they are related, how would the search engines decide that those 2 are and for example a credit cards site and a cosmetics site are not?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Google has for a long time now been working on themes. Expect some major changes in a not to distant future.

-- Less is more --

Thanks for the comments and insight.

I can understand the importance of link relevance, where a link from, say, a page on dress shirts is more valuable to another page on dress shirts than a link from a page featuring camcorders.

But what about on an entire site basis? Once again, for an Internet mall, where there is a wide variety of types of merchandise. How does the link from the dress shirt page to another dress shirt page ever help the overall website -- or is the answer it never does?

If you have 50 pages in your website and 50 inbound links, are you better off having all 50 linked to your home page, thereby boosting all of the pages in the site? Or, are you better off with each of the 50 outside pages linked to individual pages in your website, resulting in some pages with no inbound links?

I don't think google has any idea on wether or not two pages are related. The technology to do such a thing would be huge and I don't think google has it.

I think google or maybe even just some webmasters started this up as an untrue rumor. I've never noticed any bit of difference regarding related links.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    I don't think google has any idea on wether or not two pages are related. The technology to do such a thing would be huge and I don't think google has it.

I think google or maybe even just some webmasters started this up as an untrue rumor. I've never noticed any bit of difference regarding related links.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They have gotten quite good at it in the research lab, it's just not a big part, if any part, of the index yet.

-- Less is more --

ABW Ambassador
    At the moment, there is no theme element going on at Google. There are guys at Stanford working on something they call 'topic sensitive pagerank' which is themeing by any other name.

Link here:
    http://dbpubs.stanford.edu:8090/cgi-...ocument=2002/6

Teoma already uses themes in their algo (although they refer to it as communities).

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't think google has any idea on wether or not two pages are related. The technology to do such a thing would be huge and I don't think google has it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Google uses the AT LEAST the following information for incomming links. - IHMO
    1) Link text (of course)
    2) Page rank of source page
    3) Title property of link
    4) Title tag of source page

This may expand or may include for some updates:
    1) keywords in URL of source page
    2) Meta data of source page
    3) alt text of source page
    4) picture names of source page
    5) H1,H2, etc of source page

You get the idea.

Again, this is all SEO stuff so it is all IHMO

The majority of us were believing that google was already using themes. This just goes to show you can't believe everything you read or much of anything for that matter.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But what about on an entire site basis? Once again, for an Internet mall, where there is a wide variety of types of merchandise. How does the link from the dress shirt page to another dress shirt page ever help the overall website -- or is the answer it never does? ~Tom
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would expect that the shirt page would pass on PR to whatever pages of the site it was linked to. So if it was linked to the home page, it would pass on PR to that page. (Hopefully that's clear enough--a diagram would show what I mean better...)

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Google uses the AT LEAST the following information for incomming links. - IHMO
    1) Link text (of course)
    2) Page rank of source page
    3) Title property of link
    4) Title tag of source page
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - yes

2 - agreed

3 - possibly. They certainly take alt. tag text of graphic links into account, so it is possible that the title attribute is used. However, I've experimented with title attributes in the past and seen no discernable boost in ranking because of them.

4 - No, they don't. I can see no evidence that this is factored in at all. I'm willing to be proven wrong if you can give some examples, though.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread