Here's our first crack at optimizing pages for specific keywords. Fellas... are we on the right track here? Suggestions welcome. Rip these babies apart.

Optimized Page #1

Optimized Page #2

The next step in the plan is to submit these pages to Inktomi, right? Any room for improvement on these suckers before we submit???

Thanks,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

ABW Ambassador
    I'd stick some keywords in your alt tags for the scooter pics

It's more fun to jump on the trampoline than sit underneath it!

Without even touching the SEO, if I came to those pages through a search engine I imagine I might close them after a few seconds anyway. Optimized doesn't have to mean spartan.

ABW Ambassador
    Hmm.. you've asked for a lot of help here.. Remember this is an affiliate forum..and by optimizing you're competing against your affiliates Of course I firmly believe that every merchant should do whatever they feel best to brand themselves and/or generate traffic. However, asking us for help....over and over.. Hmm.. I'm done...

Not that I'm much help anyway

Best of Luck with the site.

[Wheres that 2c icon?]

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Joseph here - as helpful as the people on ABW are, they are hardly going to help you to beat them in the SEO race, are they?

ABW Ambassador
    Just submit it and see what happens, then continue optimizing. I could give you a template, but that would take the fun and education out of it for you.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Mr Urban Scooters would you kindly publish your actual site conversion ratio. That is lesson number one when coming here and recruiting affiliates. No product merchant should even think of an affiliate program til their site converts at a steady 1 sale per 100 visitors.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Um...I don't understand why it doesn't look like the rest of the site. I agree with Dolemite on this. Also, I can't find links to these pages from the rest of the site. These need to be integrated into the site and they should look like the rest of it.

As for the SEO itself...I make a living answering questions like this. Sorry.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    I get torn between "make it look good" and "wow that's empty!".

I think the first site looks nice. The only thing that jumps out at me is the "more info" button.

Completely and totally OT: I saw a video of a guy on a motor scooter dusting a trans am on some backwoods road. The scooter left serious amounts of tiresmoke in its wake. Also saw a pic of a scooter that had a briggs and stratton riding mower engine and a 14" motorcycle tire in the rear. Might have been the same one.

[This message was edited by weisinator on February 26, 2003 at 11:41 AM.]

NICE POSTS people.... How many of you have scooter sites that are direct competition to Urban Scooters? And if you are, show some class and say nothing. Don't tell them they're competition and you won't help. If you truly believe that then why are you even here? Everyone here is your competition. He's asking for help on a topic that is posted in this forum... "search engine insight" He's not asking you to build pages for him. A short time ago some of you were willing to support ebates and the likes by giving them a pass on their business practices. Now you've got one of your own asking for help and you tell him to take a hike cause he's competition.

I always thought that this was a place that people could come for help, Ask for some advice and give some in return.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As for the SEO itself...I make a living answering questions like this. Sorry <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I just did a search and found plenty of advice that you've doled out related directly to SEO.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I also can't relate to some of the "I'm not going to help you out" If you aren't going to answer don't, but the I'm not going to help attitude is best left unsaid.
    It seems like some want to know everything but are unwilling to help if needed. Some things are sometimes best left unsaid, but helping out on a question like this isn't one of them I don't think. Sorry folks, I feel better knowing if I can help other people here in some small way, in a similar fashion as I have through ABW this forum will grow and prosper. The more it prospers and offers us insight into this business we all win.

WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    OK now that my last rant is over, here is what I meant to say.

I am still learning more of the in's and outs of SEO, but one thing that sticks out is where does this page relate to the rest of your site.
    Would it not be easier to make it more "findable" from your main pages. Possibly optomizing it better by also include shrinking the chart and fitting it in around your regular header, footer, and yor left hand side column. A few extra keywords around it in these areas shouldn't hurt plus make it look like it is part of your site and allow for navigation around the site. As it it looks right now,more like a white elephant compared to the rest of your pages.

WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

steveinid... I've been asking a lot of questions on the topic and everyone has been extremely helpful. I believe I've passed the point where my questions are general in nature. I have a habit of asking a lot of questions. But that's fine and I do appreciate all the help I've received on the topic. We'll experiment with these pages a bit and see how things go. Marky... depending on our budget and how things go here we may be giving you a ring for that extra advisement.

Thanks,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

ABW Ambassador
    You guys should calm down. There was nothing in those posts that was rude or meant to be rude.

There are some experienced seoers here and it is nice of them to point people in the right direction when they care to.

It is a conversation - just as it is ok to ask for help, it is ok for respondants to acknowledge the question and say they can't give the advice.

ABW Ambassador
    Strange number of duplicate posts on the forum as a whole at the moment and I can't seem to delete any !

I find myself kind of agreeing with everyone.

Firstly, I do give out plenty of SEO advice but if I answered Frank's question, I would have to give very specific answers and would essentially be doing the work for nothing. I like to think I am very free with my advice on this board, but I do draw the line at optimising pages for free. From Frank's own post, it's clear that there are no hard feelings, so that's good.

I do take your point about saying nothing rather than saying 'no, won't help' though, but then again I also agree with Jimbo. It's getting painful sitting on the fence, so that's it for now.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Does anybody else actually make an effort to sell scooters?

Didn't think so. So competition is no excuse. As you might see if you'd looked at his site, Frank is not an affiliate, but a direct merchant (correct?). In any case, I'm interested to see how this little experiment plays out. Maybe we can all learn something from it.

Anyway, I do stand by my initial reaction. Getting visitors and retaining them don't have to be contradictory goals. IMO, you should be able to use the same formatting as your normal pages.

Doing a search for "Currie Phat Flyer" at google yields lots of results from your competition. More than I expected...this appears to be a fairly crowded field.

Having that phrase in both the title and H1 should help, though the sheer size of heading text can be a distraction. I would make use of the image file name and alt tags to target your keywords as well. That paragraph of text seems reasonable. I don't think the table below serves much SEO value, unless people often search for specs. Also, if someone came to your site searching for a "Currie Phat Flyer" I'm not sure what good a comparison to other models does. I think you need to decide if this is to be a sales page or a doorway page. If its a sales page, its got to be more presentable and appealing. A doorway page needs to lead into your site better.

I hope that helps somewhat, though I'm no expert by any means. I am quite interested to see and hear how this turns out, so please keep us updated!

ABW Ambassador
    currie phat flyer has less than 200 matches on Ink, and not a single one is well optimised (for that phrase). It would be a piece of cake to get number 1.

My advice is to pay the submission fee and start tweaking. Just putting that term in a few places on a page will automatically land you close to the top.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread