ABW Ambassador
    ok, first off - Im frustrated with one of my sites and google overlooking it ever since it got a grey bar back in August!!! I've reworded my pages, my page titles, my resources/links pages, just about everything and it still has that stinking grey bar! I might add that it had previously been in the top 10 on a few good keywords for about a year before that, so it isn't that the sites down or google hasn't found it, but I'll be darned if I know what I've done to piss it off.

any ideas?

that said I am now to the point that I will pay for links from sites with pr5 and above. Anyone else buying links like this and how much should you offer a webmaster ( I don't want to offend anyone by not offering enough!)

It's more fun to jump on the trampoline than sit underneath it!

ABW Ambassador
    Domains are only $10 ....

ABW Ambassador
    I know! its just a personal thing with google now! there is no reason I can tell for it to be that way, I know I can start over, gosh I have over 20 undeveloped domains now, but I've put a shitload of time into this one
    oh well.....

ABW Ambassador

Does the bot still grab your index page?

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

ABW Ambassador
    doesn't even visit, even though I have many other sites pointing my way (even ones that I don't own lol)

You've not got a robots.txt barring it have you?

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

If that site previously had pr and was ranked in Google, and suddenly got a grey bar in August and has stayed grey since, then it's likely you have been dropped from the index.

In that case no links will help you, not even pr9 links, so don't bother trying to pay for pr.

You should research how many reciprocal links you had at the time you were dropped, what was the topic of the site, etc. Anything Google dislikes?

Then I would suggest contacting Google explaining your case and ask what you need to do to let back into the index. Be humble

-- Less is more --

This might be impossible for you to remember at this point, but did you make big changes to the site prior to the gray bar appearing?

Google can be touchy about things at times. I discovered a couple of bad links on my links page, and that seemed to pull my whole site down a bit. I dumped those links, and the next index the site was back up on top again. I can't think of anything else I would have done that would have influenced this.

If you recall changing any pages, adding any links, or adding any new pages to this site before the gray bar, I'd go back and take a look at them to see if there's something there, even something very innocent on your part, that might have offended Googlebot.

I'm going to start keeping a log of all changes I make to my sites, and the date I publish those changes, so I can have a reference point. Your question has reminded me how important it is to know when certain changes were made, whether for better or worse.

Best of luck in getting your rank restored!

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    MsMarySunshine ,

Are you SURE you have the grey bar?

I ask this because on one of my sites, when I type in the domain WITHOUT putting in www. , I get a grey bar , but when I type in the same domain WITH the www., I get a green page rank.

Wonder why this makes any difference ?

Ive noticed that many sites show the same page rank with or without the www. before the domain, but not in all cases .

I thought a *white* bar with PR0 was what you got with a penalty.. a grey bar just means that Google doesn't know about you.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    I thought a *white* bar with PR0 was what you got with a penalty.. a grey bar just means that Google doesn't know about you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My brand new sites have a white bar (pr0) after googlebot visits but before the dance. You only need to be concerned if you get a PR0/grey bar after you've enjoyed a decent PR.

Affiliate Manager
    Quick questions around here and I found PR6 page links that had been purchased for $20-100 per month. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

ABW Ambassador
    no robots.txt, the site still does well on all other search engines so I'll keep it.

I'll try the email to google to see if they could tell me what I might do to get it back in the index. Until then I guess I'll just refocus this energy elsewhere.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I ask this because on one of my sites, when I type in the domain WITHOUT putting in www. , I get a grey bar , but when I type in the same domain WITH the www., I get a green page rank.

Wonder why this makes any difference ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Because domain.com and www.domain.com are technically two different subdomains/sites... All your linkage is to the www subdomain, and,therefore thats the one with PR...

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

Mary,
    best of luck!

Andy,
    I don't think one can "offend" GoogleLady to stop visiting. She's a crawler who grabs everything in her way that she's allowed to grab (more ladies should be like her ). But bad link structure could leave some parts of a site out of reach.

Of course only Google knows, but I think penalties are applied manually. With multiple incoming links, previously in the index, grey pr, and no visits from the lady for several months, not even to the frontpage. my bets are on mr. penalty.

-- Less is more --

ABW Ambassador
    Sunshine -

If you want some inbound links from PR5 pages, why not solicit link trades? I'd be glad to do some if your site's theme is compatible with any of mine, and I'm sure that more than just a few others here would do it as well.

CJ Rocks! CJ Rocks! CJ Rocks! CJ Rocks!

ABW Ambassador
    thanks deelz, but if what they are saying is true, it probably wont help. As much as I hate to do it, I think I'll just resign myself to the fact that google doesnt like this site

I am in the same situation with a site of mine, I emailed the Google and they replied I was not penalized. This was the second week in January. About two days later the bot showed up, and has come back three times. Still not listed, hoping this dance will get me in the door.

g

ABW Ambassador
    Update!!

Took your advice and emailed google - I have my pagerank back!!!! OMG

thanks everyone

Very good news! Glad to hear it!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread