I'm creating multiple pages using the eBay Editor Kit. I'm using a template for them, which makes all of the pages essentially the same in Google's eyes. The only differences are some of the words in the page title, some of the keywords, some of the text and colors on the page, and the search query string in the eBay javascript.

Is this going to get me in trouble with Google? Google can't tell that the pages, when displayed on a monitor, are all different, since it doesn't actually "see" the links to the eBay auctions, which are of course different on all pages.

Some of the pages link to each other in groups, and all of them link back to an index page, which in turn links to everything.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    Andy,

I really want to be able to answer this for you, but I've never used the eBay editor kit and can't make a judgement until I can see the pages. If you want to PM me the URL, I can take a look.

From what you have said, it could be fine...or it might not be ! Depends largely on how different the text is on each page.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    You know, I would think that eventually, this toolkit is gonna tick google off. When people type in a search for an item, and ebay toolkit pages show up in the first 30 searches all the time, lol.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

Ebays editor kit is <script> so Google isn't going to see any of the ebay listings or links.

You need to add content to the pages to give them some meat. (something for googlebot to eat-- it won't see the editor kit table with all of the keywords and links so you need to add unique content)

Thank you everyone for the help, I've decided to add a sentence or two of unique content to each page to make them different. Hopefully, this will be enough without creating 2 paragraphs of text on something that doesn't really need to be said.

Although part of the page title, the background color in the eBay editor kit header, some of the keywords, and other minor text attributes of the pages are different, I'm afraid I'm going to trip some Googlebot spam function because of the overall similarity.

So, with the addition of a little keyword-rich text, hopefully, it will be enough that the pages won't look quite as similar to each other. If a human were to check them, it would be obvious that they're all very different, but as pointed out, Googlebot can't see the auction links so it doesn't know what's really there.

I'll see how the ones that were crawled do if we ever get an update, and that alone will probably tell me what changes need to be made.

Thanks again,
    Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread