sorry but I could not stop from laughing.

Dead - how?

VAN.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar

---
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." ~ The Tathagata

The dmoz.org site was down for a while but appears to be up now.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org
    www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    oh

---
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." ~ The Tathagata

why?
    i think dmoz is the first step to join google?

dive deep ride fast

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    DMOZ does not like affiliate sites.

So a lot of us don't like them!

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

ABW Ambassador
    DMOZ sucks. Has never been an "open directory". Most of the editors are there just to get their sites and their buddies sites in the directory. A lot of categories don't have editors. There are sites in the directory that don't even exist anymore, i've seen sites in my category that are the same exact site, just with different domains. Junk

I don't care what my girlfriend says, i know i can dance, watch me go

ABW Ambassador
    you all love dmoz. just admit it.

<sigh> this old argument again.

dmoz.org as been having problems recently with performance.. see this post.

DMOZ won't list pure affiliate sites. But it will list content sites. And there's nothing to stop you having an affiliate store on your content site, or building up a high PageRank content site to drive your affiliate sites.

In other words, it's just a tool. Use it or not.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Sometimes I feel like I'm married to dmoz, and you can read whatever you like into that, lololol.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> DMOZ won't list pure affiliate sites. But it will list content sites. ~Dynamoo <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's because all the commies from the old Soviet Union had to find something else to do. So they founded DMOZ...

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

ABW Ambassador

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    That's because all the commies from the old Soviet Union had to find something else to do. So they founded DMOZ...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

whatta wonderful words

dive deep ride fast

hi folks, I still can't resist in laughing at dmoz.org, they say humans do it better...um ok.

this is like the 3rd day they've been down.

and for those of you who want to see how these humans operate go here: http://www.resource-zone.com/ubbthreads.php

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    DMOZ won't list pure affiliate sites. But it will list content sites. And there's nothing to stop you having an affiliate store on your content site, or building up a high PageRank content site to drive your affiliate sites.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said - that's why I don't have a 'beef' with them. (No pun intended moo )

ABW Ambassador
    I think DMOZ is just swell. Sure the execution has its problems, but the concept is excellent.

For you who think it is run by a bunch of commies, keep in mind that interent directories too are governed by the laws of capitalism.

For instance, if you don't like the volunteer nature of dmoz, what is the alternative?

Would you like to pay $400 for each submission without guarantee of inclusion? And if so, then how relevant would the results be and how much would commercial search engines (e.g. Google) value them?

I think we have the perfect answer in commercial directories (like Yahoo et al.) which are not even worth the submission fees.

So you see, DMOZ really works after all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> For instance, if you don't like the volunteer nature of dmoz, what is the alternative?

Would you like to pay $400 for each submission without guarantee of inclusion?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw. $25/submission, WITH guarantee of inclusion (first submission a bit higher)! IE, Inktomi. It beats any of these snobby directories and has a nice, reasonable price.

And it's not the volunteer nature of DMOZ that's the gripe. It's their anti-affiliate mindset.

[This message was edited by Leader on March 07, 2003 at 04:50 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    My problem with it is i've seen some of the sites in there and i know there are much better ones in various categories. The only reason they are there is because the site owner is an editor or has a buddy that is. They need to update it more often and get some editors. Lots of categories don't have editors, and lots of sites in there are outdated or don't even exist anymore. I personally don't know anybody who has even used it to search. They also need to change the name, it's not really an "Open Directory" I'm all for a human edited directory but not one edited by webmasters. People only want to become editors to get their sites in, no other reason. Maybe they should start accepting payment to be included and hire impartial people to edit it ala Consumer Reports.

I don't care what my girlfriend says, i know i can dance, watch me go

[This message was edited by TrustNo1 on March 07, 2003 at 06:04 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Yup. Its about 95% corrupt.

Ashame really...

[ ex corrupt editor ]

Hmm, I may seem to be the odd one out here.
    I love Dmoz and my content sites that go in have never taken more than a month to list.
    They all have products on the back end.
    It depends on your categories you submit to.
    Parts of Dmoz will give you greater PR right off the bat.I look at the categories I want first, grab a domain name , content, then wait a month, in with good pr and start putting products around the back end.
    Advantage to this method for me has been SE listings stay fairly stable with no huge up and downs.
    It's kinda backwards but works for me..

Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible..

I've been having some terrible DMOZ trouble as a merchant! I've been trying to get our site listed there since 9/02. SEVEN MONTHS! The problem is there's no editor in our category... or the catagory above that... or the category above that. I've posted at resource-zone.com and sent a nice note to the editor in the category closest to ours. Nothing's helped yet. It's a real pain in the rear.

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread