On one of my sites, the index page is a PR6 for Google, and the majority of the rest of the pages are PR2. The exceptions to this are individual pages where I have gotten reciprocal links from other sites -- they are coming in at PR3 or PR4.

There is no hieararchy to this site -- i.e., all of the pages are one level below the index page.

I thought Google defaulted to the index page PR less one, for all subpages. Obviously not.

Any thoughts on how to increase the PR of the subpages? Please note there are a LOT of them -- inbound reciprocal links are not feasible.

When you say that the pages are only one level below the index page, I get the feeling that perhaps the ONLY link to these pages is from the index page.

Although "depth" of the page may be a factor in the PageRank algorithm, the main consideration appears to be the internal linking structure. Basically, the more internal links you have, the more likely it is for the PR to flow to them internally.

A good illustration is if your site has a privacy statement or contact page linked from every page. On my main site (PR6) these pages are *also* PR6 because they're linked from every internal page.

Of course, it's not always possible to link every page internally unless you only have a minisite. You can get round this by arranging the site into sections (e.g. autoparts, flowers, books) and making sure that all THOSE pages are linked from every page internally.

I tend to think of PageRank flowing around a site like water. The more channels (links) you have, the more it will spread around. Links from where the PageRank is flowing INTO your site are especially important.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific. The site has 400+ pages, and they are all linked to each other via a site index which is at the bottom of each page -- a little cumbersome, but it was the best way I could find to internally link everything together.

Someone else told me that maybe the problem was the number of internal links. Apparently Google has a threshold of 100 links per page.

What do you think?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom:
    Thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific. The site has 400+ pages, and they are all linked to each other via a site index which is at the bottom of each page -- a little cumbersome, but it was the best way I could find to internally link everything together.

Someone else told me that maybe the problem was the number of internal links. Apparently Google has a threshold of 100 links per page.

What do you think?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the someone is right.
    As far as I know does google split the rating power of each link by the number of links in the page. I don't know the number, but If you exceed a certain quantity of links, the result will have the opposite or no effect on the ranking.

I think that logic is Googles way to render Link Farms obsolete.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    Shop-Links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread